Want To Go Geocaching

gm100guy

Why is does it now seem to be so hard to go hunt Geocaches now.

All I read about is everyone needs the latest and most feature filled gps to find a cache.

I still use my gm100 from Lowareance to hunt and place caches. It works fine and still takes me right near the spot. I wanted a second gps for backup and for my family to use when I go in the woods. I found a 12 channel Eagle Expediton 2 and paid $35.00 for it. With these 2 gps's I can use my topo maps and a good roamer and find out where I am in any place that I go. If you really need maps in the woods then bring a topo and compass for back up.

I still download my way points using easy gps and loc files for when I want to enter waypoints. The cable I have fits both units.

I bought a palm to use for caching but I found it to be more of palm in the butt to get the information into it, then it was worth.

I admit I have not hunted alot of caches, but when I do go out with my printed sheets and trusty old gps I can find them.

So my advice for those starting out find the cheapest gps you can get. Go hunt some caches and then if you feel you will still be hunting and hiding a year from now then go buy one with all the bells and whisltes. I wonder how long the average cacher lasts around here before they move on?

There is most likly alot gps's sitting on shelfs collecting dust out there.

;)

So my advice for those starting out find the cheapest gps you can get. Go hunt some caches and then if you feel you will still be hunting and hiding a year from now then go buy one with all the bells and whisltes.

I agree with you there. The first GPS I owned was a magellan GPS2000XL that I picked up used at a Cash Converters here in Brampton. I found my first 50 or so caches with that one, and placed three as well. I'd still be using it if it hadn't been damaged when I fell.

All you really need for geocaching is a bearing, distance, and the grey stuff between your ears.

;)

I liked my old GPS so much, I created a cache to commemerate it!

Back in the old days before I got my Garmin Legend, I had to rely on my trusty but true old Micrologic Sportsman GPS. The Micrologic was one of the first hand-held GPS's that hit the market and had some stunning abilities when it first came out such as:

-Reception of up to 5 satellites

-100 Foot accuracy!

Found my first 30 or 40 caches this way.

GCG141 - Accuracy, who needs it.

GCG141

I agree. I have an Etrex (yellow). No maps, etc and I do just fine. I hook it up in the car on trips also.

One problem is that I think there is a large number of people out there that rely only on their GPS. A good knowledge of map and compass is a must if you are stepping almost any distance in the woods.

JMHO

Joe

I am still using my Magellan 315 I got at a cash (cache? HEHEHE) converters. I love it and might look at getting a second unit eventually but don't know if any unit will 'replace' this one. I routinely get 2 M EPE presently.

Edited by MedicP1

I couldn't agree more with GM100GUY's initial statement.

I am still using a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) and it does EVERYTHING that I need.

There is an arrow, the distance and a way to enter a waypoint.

I had an email from a lady from Hamilton asking what model I recommend and she said "I know the whole 'get what you pay for' idea but...."

And I said the same thing... "I don't see the need for the additional options"

Go cheap and have fun.

The LowTech way is the best way.

:huh: The Blue Quasar

One of the best things about geocaching is that you can be successful with minimal equipment. :huh: Another is all the neat stuff you can buy if you want to. :huh:

I had a lot of fun with my GPS12 and paper print outs and I'm having fun now with my GPS76 and PDA. Upgrade/accessorize to a level that makes you happy. I know I'll be upgrading to a mapping unit when my budget allows.

I think a lot of people are going for the high-end equipment, just because of the autorouting capabilities, which certainly make driving to the cache area much easier. No, we don't really need that, but for those who can afford it and who get a lot of use out of it, since they do a lot of caching... more power to them.

However, I DO think we should all strive to switch to PDA's for cache info. We are in the business of loving and enjoying nature. It seems a little counter-productive to kill trees in order to do it. Granted, the paper used is negligible in the grand scheme of things, but in principle alone, we should try to avoid using paper. :tongue:

Who needs a GPSr? :tongue:

While at work yesterday I noticed a cache that was still available for FTF but I had left my GPSr at home and I wasn't inclined to go home and return. The general location of the cache was not far off my route home. Potential disaster here :unsure: - what to do, what to do? :unsure:

So, carefully plotting the coordinates on a topo map (which lives permanently on my laptop) and carefully reading the clues I was able to log an FTF sans GPSr.

GPSrs - who needs 'em? :huh:

Edited by Geofellas

I still have my Map Guide Pro that I logged 54 caches on and I still use it on caches with a lot of tree cover and or deep valleys. But I now use my 60c for alot of the caching that I do. But the wife thinks I bought the 60 for road navigation, so we could get rid of all the maps in the car. (Married, no kids, so we do ALOT of road trips.)

Collecting GPSr sort of became an obsession. :mad: You can never have to many. :D But now the wife says I have to give up some. :huh: Any one need a GPS?

1-Nav12 (available)

1-NAV200 (sold)

1-GM100 (sold)

1-Map Guide Pro (available)

1-eMap (available)

1-Legend (available)

1-GPSMAP76

2-60C (1 is available)(NEW)

4-Geko 201 (For the scouts to use)

Baston (I feel lost with out my toys.)

I still have my Map Guide Pro that I logged 54 caches on and I still use it on caches with a lot of tree cover and or deep valleys. But I now use my 60c for alot of the caching that I do. But the wife thinks I bought the 60 for road navigation, so we could get rid of all the maps in the car. (Married, no kids, so we do ALOT of road trips.)

Collecting GPSr sort of became an obsession. ;) You can never have to many. :P But now the wife says I have to give up some. :D Any one need a GPS?

1-Nav12 (available)

1-NAV200 (sold)

1-GM100 (sold)

1-Map Guide Pro (available)

1-eMap (available)

1-Legend (available)

1-GPSMAP76

2-60C (1 is available)(NEW)

4-Geko 201 (For the scouts to use)

Baston (I feel lost with out my toys.)

whats the prices for the units. never can have to many toys

All I read about is everyone needs the latest and most feature filled gps to find a cache.

I completely agree. That's all Baloney (sp?). As long as you can enter a WP and have it tell you distance/direction then your golden. Actually alot of the time I don't even enter the WP. I just read the cache page, park where they suggest, hit the trail and watch the numbers change until I'm close to what I've written down for the cache co-ordinates.

Edit: BTW Rogue_Monkey & Minkie, I don't know about the rest of his list but the Geko 201 is easily < $200 (CDN) [got mine for $164 CDN].

Edit2: DOH now that I've actually read the post I see that you weren't asking what they're worth you were likely asking what he wants for the ones that aren't sold yet. My Bad, some day I'll learn to read 1st and post later :bad:

Thorin

Edited by thorin

I went to Ottawa last weekend and hunted a cache with my Eagle Expediton 2.

From my hotel to the cache was 1.6 km. I used the nav option and had a interesting hike around all the construction and being chased away from a building by security. The gps show the cache 85 meters away. I had to back track and follow the road.

The gps got my to the cache and said 3 meters away.

read logs here

:(

Edited by gm100guy
I have used the Gekos for geocaching and hiking with my scouts. And they work great for cache hunting. they are a little ify (sp) under heavy tree cover, but not bad.

Baston

Ya I've heard people on both sides of that fence. Personally I haven't had any problems with the Geko under any density of tree cover.

Thorin

I am one who usually says - "whatever gets the job done". My PC is still a P2-300 with win 98 and it still does all my needs, so I'm cool with it.

My Magellan Plat was purchased with more than caching in mind. Over the July 1 weekend a friend and I hiked a previously unexplored (by us) trail over 25km back in to the mountains, and having some of the things like on-screen mapping, e-compass etc. sure helped us when we had to bushwack through areas where creeks had overflowed, trails were crisscrossed, or washed away etc.

I also use it on my sailboat, so since it is a multi-purpose tool, it made sense for me to buy one with a lot of features so it could be more flexible depending on application.