Memory Map Geocaching Overlay

After some interest in the Geocaching overlays for the U.K,I've deceided to put them on a site for other Memory Map\Geocaching users.This will save me emailing them out to people,although it's been good to get in contact with other users.The overlay contains cache identifier (GC***),cache name,owner,terrain and difficulty.

I'm aiming to update this file every few days or so to keep the overlay current.If anyone needs help on how to use an overlay,please email me.

The link is: http://ee4usa2.fu8.com/mapping/

I don't think that I'm stepping on anybodies toes here legally,but if I am,please let me know.

Happy Caching!

Thunderbird30

Edited by thunderbird30

Perhaps I've misunderstood or lost the plot of this thread... ;) but UK MM overlays have been available for download from here for as long as I can remember... certainly for well over a year. Just submit a blank search and you'll get the whole of the UK, or configure an advanced search to download a subset...

You can download in any of the following formats:

EasyGPS

Mapsource (v3 or v4)

Autoroute

MemoryMap (with or without descriptions)

OziExplorer

Waypoint+

TomTom

HTML

Also, if you create an account on the site and login, when you download your chosen MM overlay it will mark your found caches with a different symbol (blue dot) to those you haven't found (flag).

Regards... Steve

Edited by Team Paradise

After using the overlays from GUK & mine,I'm going to continue to upload my overlay to the previously mentioned address.200 hits shows that people are interested.

GeocacheUK has done an excellent job in providing a service that many UK Cachers (and me) use. Long may it continue!

The difference (as far as I can see) is that you only have to hover over a cache icon to see the name\rating etc.On my slower system running MMand using the GUK overlay,it can take a while after selecting the details of a GUK waypoint for these details to appear.A small difference,but hey!

Happy Caching

Thunderbird30

Edited by thunderbird30

I use GC:UK and getright to do daily downloads (thanks Mr Woodsmoke for pointing me in the right direction!).

I do find I need to do several downloads though: on my PC I have the whole of the UK caches downloaded into MemoryMap but on my PDA I try to only have the local overlay, otherwise it runs really slowly. The difference in the start up speed now that I've restricted the number of caches from all to the nearest 200 is incredible. It was really clonky before; but then I have a Toshiba e740 and they are pretty clonky at the best of times!! Strangly it is the number of overlays rather than the size of the map that slows it down.

The overlays from GCUK... there are two MM options, one with "descriptions" and one without. The one with descriptions has a "double" file extension, eg xxx.mxf.txt

I cannot do anything with that file as MM doesn't recognise it. Any suggestions would be appreciated - and what's the difference between the two types of file anyway please?

Thanks

<<Also, if you create an account on the site and login, when you download your chosen MM overlay it will mark your found caches with a different symbol (blue dot) to those you haven't found (flag).

>>

Hmmm.. that doesn't seem to work for me. Is there some parameter I should set up?

Also, how does one change the red flags to another ICON? A friend of mine has little blue squares (I think)...

Lastly, when one clicks a cache in Memory Map anf then clicks "properties" does everyone experience a long wait for the dialoge box to appear - like 25 seconds? I'm running a 3.2 gig machine with 1 gig of RAM and I'm amazed at how long it takes..

Thanks friends

Lastly, when one clicks a cache in Memory Map anf then clicks "properties" does everyone experience a long wait for the dialoge box to appear - like 25 seconds? I'm running a 3.2 gig machine with 1 gig of RAM and I'm amazed at how long it takes..

The time taken to open up the properties is proportional to the number of waypoints you have loaded. I had the speedcamera database loaded and it would take forever to open the properties dialogue box.

Try reducing the number of waypoints.

<<Also, if you create an account on the site and login...>>

Hmmm..  that doesn't seem to work for me.  Is there some parameter I should set up?

Also, how does one change the red flags to another ICON?  A friend of mine has little blue squares (I think)...

Lastly, when one clicks a cache in Memory Map anf then clicks "properties" does everyone experience a long wait for the dialoge box to appear - like 25 seconds?  I'm running a 3.2 gig machine with 1 gig of RAM and I'm amazed at how long it takes..

Create an account and login is the important bit to get your found caches to show with a different icon.

To change the icon you'd have to edit the file manually, or manually change them after importing into MM.

The laster version of MM (2004) is MUCH slower when choosing "properties".

I have the whole of the UK (without descriptions) imported and it takes about 7 seconds... Same spec PC as yours.

With the older versions is was almost instant.

Steve

Its worth bearing mind is that Memory Map doesnt "overwrite" existing entries ....it just creates another ...so it is essential that you delete everything before importing a complete set of "marks" otherwise entries can be duplicated many times , hence slowing down the application..the speed is proportional to the number of points .....

I dont think it makes any difference whether of not you have waypoints or waypoints with descriptions.

Now the clever bit would be if you could get an import into MM with an entry into the linked file ...with a link to the page in geocaching.com......... :(

Now the clever bit would be if you could get an import into MM with an entry into the linked file ...with a link to the page in geocaching.com......... <_<

or to GPXView or GPXSonar from Pocket Memory-Map on the PDA. Now that really would be Geocaching Nerdy Heaven!

Hello There,

Memory Map overlay files can be generated in GSAK. This link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bcmoore/New%20Icons%20Guide/

tells you how to go about generating files with fantastic icons, with due thanks to those responsible for writing the scripts etc.

Regards

Bernard

PS and this thread gives a whole lot more info http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=144033

Edited by bcnorwich
Now the clever bit would be if you could get an import into MM with an entry into the linked file ...with a link to the page in geocaching.com......... :unsure:

or to GPXView or GPXSonar from Pocket Memory-Map on the PDA. Now that really would be Geocaching Nerdy Heaven!

Yes indeed has anybody managed to work out how to double click on MM opening up the explored file via Sonar?

Yes indeed has anybody managed to work out how to double click on MM opening up the explored file via Sonar?

It's not possible with GPXSonar (Site being down I can't check if there is a newer version than 1.5), but Cachemate does and is far quicker than GPXSonar, and has better facilites.

It's not possible with GPXSonar (Site being down I can't check if there is a newer version than 1.5), but Cachemate does and is far quicker than GPXSonar, and has better facilites.

I bought Cachemate but My huge files 19 gpx's of 500 seemed to slow everything down.. so went back to sonar and loading the relevant gpx. Just chatting with HHunters and he said his MM/Sonar system works as a double click on the mark... Sometimes

Just been experimenting....

I have found how and when in the field sometimes when you double click on a flag in memorymap it opens the gpxsonar data for that cache...

Normally it does not work, however if you open the cache page first in gpxsonar, swop back to memory map using the fast keys... when you double click on the flag it then swops back again !!!

This explains why sometimes it works and not others....

We must have preloaded the cache I am searching for, then back to memory map whilst I get closer !

Just been experimenting....

I have found how and when in the field sometimes when you double click on a flag in memorymap it opens the gpxsonar data for that cache...

Normally it does not work, however if you open the cache page first in gpxsonar, swop back to memory map using the fast keys... when you double click on the flag it then swops back again !!!

This explains why sometimes it works and not others....

We must have preloaded the cache I am searching for, then back to memory map whilst I get closer !

No I think it is just reloading the last cache page in explorers "memory cache" ie not loading the cache page just loading explorer at its last point

I bought Cachemate but My huge files 19 gpx's of 500 seemed to slow everything down.. so went back to sonar and loading the relevant gpx. Just chatting with HHunters and he said his MM/Sonar system works as a double click on the mark... Sometimes

I think maybe a change in the way you are working might be a good idea.

1. Different Cachmate Databases for each PQ, GPXSonar can only open one of the GPX files at a time, so loading each into a Cachemate database would just be a similar way of working; but give you the benefits of Cachemate

or

2. Load all 19 GPX files into a GSAK database and be more selective in what you have in your hand whilst on a cache hunt.

Just read what I believe was the latest Sonar documentation (Before the website disapeared) and there is no mention of it having a working URI interface, but I will install version 1.5 on my PDA tomorrow and try it out

Edited by Moote

1. Different Cachmate Databases for each PQ, GPXSonar can only open one of the GPX files at a time, so loading each into a Cachemate database would just be a similar way of working; but give you the benefits of Cachemate

or

2. Load all 19 GPX files into a GSAK database and be more selective in what you have in your hand whilst on a cache hunt.

Just read what I believe was the latest Sonar documentation (Before the website disapeared) and there is no mention of it having a working URI interface, but I will install version 1.5 on my PDA tomorrow and try it out

Ah here is the problem and the reason I download what I do.. As an engineer covering what may be an area from Newcastle to hull.. Lincoln... Burton.. Stafford... Manchester and back.. often covering into NWales and up throuch Lancashire to the boarders.. I cover a small area lol.. My lunch break could be anywhere..

Loading all into cachmate would give a database so huge that it takes ages to work on.. All are loaded into GSAK.. all 7100.. My system works fine.. Just a double click would be a little luxury..

Cheers

or

Ah here is the problem and the reason I download what I do.. As an engineer covering what may be an area from Newcastle to hull.. Lincoln... Burton.. Stafford... Manchester and back.. often covering into NWales and up throuch Lancashire to the boarders.. I cover a small area lol.. My lunch break could be anywhere..

Loading all into cachmate would give a database so huge that it takes ages to work on.. All are loaded into GSAK.. all 7100.. My system works fine.. Just a double click would be a little luxury..

Cheers

I work in the whole of the UK; last week I worked in Scunthorpe, Edinburgh, Aylesbury and Warrington and the system I have given you works for me OK, maybe you need to see a practical demonstration of what I mean.

I have timed a Cachemate call on a record in a database of 2500 records and it is faster than 500 records in a GPX file viewed by GPXSonar, there is a reason for this GPX are flat files where Cachemate uses a real SQL database, with index tables.

Also it might be the way your PDA is setup that is causing the speed issue, you should purchase fast SD cards (ones of x120 or above). The place where you setup the application can cause the system to grind also, Installing an Application on the storage card can help, but is not always the solution, it is trial and error.

I have just remembered, when I went to St Kilda, I was running Cachemate with over 6000 caches in a single database and had around 100 1:25000 maps on a storage card and that ran faultlessly on a MIO P550