Price Variation

I once saw an eTrex Yellow for sale at £180 in a hiking supply shop, about a year ago.

You should be able to get one ordered online at places like Global Positioning Systems UK

for about £85.

£120 would get you an eTrex Venture (like mine!) and £130 for a Legend, which has more,.. stuff...

I've seen the Venture and Legend for sale in hiking shops for about £220 and £240 respectively so there is a LOT of price variation to be had.

Thats the problem what is RRP everywhere I look has a different price!!! My insurance want a price to replace what I lost and proof of ownership before they will send me a cheque. Proving ownership is easy but trying to find rrp is not so easy. I also cannot find a shop that stocks the case I had my one in when it went missing. It was a belt holster type thing and cost about £25 the shops (high street and online) all seem to have a cheaper version about £10 - £12 which doesnt have a belt clip on it.

My local shop doesnt deal with garmin any more as they didnt sell very many units and gave up on taking gps into the shop, Which is a shame because they charge extortionate prices for all the stuff they sell and it would of been good to get a price from them for my insurance.. I dont want to tell them a wrong price and for my insurance to think I am trying to fraud them.

kelkoo.co.uk will do a trawl through on-line price lists automatically for you.

Best price will probably be globalpositioningsystems.co.uk worst price I have seen is Maplin on line or Millets high street.

The case at

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/...&category_id=57

does have a belt clip but it doesn't show in the picture.

Ebay - I can't believe I have seen people paying more on there for second hand than it would cost them for new from above company.

I have found a website that has the closest price to what my gps cost so I am going to submit it to my insurance, they also have the holster that I lost too. :D:D fingers crossed they will accept the price.

ps I found out last years rrp which is £134.50 + VAT ;):)B)

Edited by Naefearjustbeer

I actually found amazon was the cheapest for buying my sportrak map - but i did buy it in the states and it was the cheapest (by $40) over there. I've recently bought a camera from them where they were the cheapest by £50 so it may be worth checking out a replacement on ebay.

Hi, why not take the opportunity to upgrade to the gspmap 60c ,this site has them for around £60 cheaper than most of the cheaper places on the net !! http://www.sportextreme.com/pq228/

dave

:unsure: I did spot that site on my search for a new gps and was impressed by the prices, I have also seen a 60cs and was very impressed with it but I just cannot justify the spend. And after all the hassle I have had with my insurance I dont want to buy anything too expensive and loose it :blink: I am thinking about a vista or a legend as a replacement but I have still not decided. I think I will wait until I have the insurance money in my bank before I order a new one.

I think I will wait until I have the insurance money in my bank before I order a new one.

Obviously not completely addicted!!

There is one on the way, The wife wants her own gps after coming to Nicks bash so we can both hunt caches without her having to rely on me for directions.

I am just waitng until the money is in the bank for my replacement because I do not trust my insurance company because they have made so many mistakes with our policy and the claim. The amount they pay out will affect what I spend on a replacement

The cheepest I saw in the UK was at the NEC Outdoor Show last February where there were several stalls selling for £89.

Take a look at the Geocaching sponsor www.offroute.com. They are selling the basic eTrex for US$94.95 plus postage to the UK at US$30.95. Taking an exchange rate of about $1.8: £1, this works out at £70. In addition, you may expect H.M. Customs & Excise to ask you for duty of about £12.25. i.e. a total of £82.25.

With good postage services (better in USA than here) this is viable for a non-mapping unit like the eTrex whereas they won't sell you the euro version of mapping units from the USA and you are, to a certain extent, locked into the 'ripoff Britain' syndrome. :blink::o

[the above is provided without liability]

Aisledog

After speaking to someone who bought a legend when in the usa on holiday they said it doesnt make much difference because the base map isnt that good and you need a mapsource cd if you want reasonable maps on your gps.

Do customs and excise charge a percentage of the cost or is it a fixed amount?

or do we just have to pay VAT on any items?

My experience was with a magellan sportrek pro which I ordered from the USA. As I recall customs duty is added at 17.5% (the UK VAT rate) and C & E write to you for it. I understand that the C & E letter doesn't always come but that wasn't my experience.

The worldwide basemap costs extra to give non-US coverage but it still worked out cheaper (and I have the rest of the world if I ever need it). The worldwide basemap detail is quite poor and slightly different to the built-in basebap on the Euro model. However the euro basemap doesn't set the world on fire either which is why they now offer the GB topo mapping at about £110.

I understand the garmin product is similar. You can buy the US version from the States but they won't sell the euro/UK versions because it upsets the manufacturer.

Aisledog

After speaking to someone who bought a legend when in the usa on holiday they said it doesnt make much difference because the base map isnt that good and you need a mapsource cd if you want reasonable maps on your gps.

You're right.... the European base map in my Legend is next to useless for navigating. It only has motorways and some of the major 'A' roads. Even large towns only appear as a dot on the screen. The roads appear to be straight lines drawn between a scattering of reasonably accurate waypoints. They certainly don't follow the bends and curves of our roads. It's (almost) fun to watch the track that's drawn when you're driving deviate from the base map 'road' and then converge with it again at the next waypoint they've used. :blink:

A MapSource package of some sort is essential if you want to use the Legend's (or other models) map facility.

Ebay - I can't believe I have seen people paying more on there for second hand than it would cost them for new from above company.

I bought a brand new Legend, boxed and sealed from a reputable company off ebay....£124.00, + £6.00 for recorded delivery......and a darned good majik fingey it is! Very pleased with it, it came with a computer lead as well.

Edited by GAZ

Sorry to jump in at this late stage.

the official UK list price for a etrex is £117.79

I have the dealer price list in front of me.

Yes units are dearer in the UK

Yes you can get them mailed in from the US but expect to pay around 25% in vat and duty if or more likely when customs pick it up.

It will have the wrong base map -assuming its a mapping model

Loading Garmin Wolrdmap or roads and rec will fix this- assuming the unit has the memory to store the maps.

If you want a quote for replacement on my headed paper email me privately.

If you want to know where to get copied mapsource discs cheaply email me.

hope this helps

John

Sorry to jump in at this late stage.

the official UK list price for a etrex is £117.79

I have the dealer price list in front of me.

Yes units are dearer in the UK

Yes you can get them mailed in from the US but expect to pay around 25% in vat and duty if or more likely when customs pick it up.

It will have the wrong base map -assuming its a mapping model

Loading Garmin Wolrdmap or roads and rec will fix this- assuming the unit has the memory to store the maps.

If you want a quote for replacement on my headed paper email me privately.

If you want to know where to get copied mapsource discs cheaply email me.

hope this helps

John

Thanks for the offer but I have already submitted a quote to my insurance and I am waiting for them to get back to me, At the moment I am looking at either a vista or a legend, I am looking into importing from america and even adding 25% on for customs it is still a lot cheaper than any of the uk shops.

I have a mapsource cd but it is quite old.

Cheers

Donnie

At the moment I am looking at either a vista or a legend, I am looking into importing from america and even adding 25% on for customs it is still a lot cheaper than any of the uk shops.

Cheers

Donnie

Vistas and Legends are old hat now. You need a 60CS, they are the dogs.....

At the moment I am looking at either a vista or a legend, I am looking into importing from america and even adding 25%  on for customs it is still a lot cheaper than any of the uk shops.

Cheers

Donnie

Vistas and Legends are old hat now. You need a 60CS, they are the dogs.....

My birthday is in December. I have 6 months begging time. Whats the cheapest place I can point Ali at for a 60CS????? :huh:

www.offroute.com have them for $429 + $30 postage and packing to the uk. You can work out the exchange rate and then add on whatever the customs will take when (if) they intercept the parcel. I think the customs charge 17.5% vat plus 4% import duty. By my reckoning just over £300.

Edited by Naefearjustbeer
www.offroute.com have them for $429 + $30 postage and packing to the uk. You can work out the exchange rate and then add on whatever the customs will take when (if) they intercept the parcel. I think the customs charge 17.5% vat plus 4% import duty. By my reckoning just over £300.

Will it have the US basemap? If so, how much difference will it make? I've got Mapsource Roads and Recreation Europe - so I'm thinking not a great deal, as I upload the detailed maps of areas that we go to anyway.

www.offroute.com have them for $429 + $30 postage and packing to the uk. You can work out the exchange rate and then add on whatever the customs will take when (if) they intercept the parcel. I think the customs charge 17.5% vat  plus 4% import duty. By my reckoning just over £300.

Will it have the US basemap? If so, how much difference will it make? I've got Mapsource Roads and Recreation Europe - so I'm thinking not a great deal, as I upload the detailed maps of areas that we go to anyway.

The US version has the US basemap but the 60CS has 58MB of memory so you can upload maps covering the whole of southern England and the Midlands as far up as Nottingham. That's a sizeable chunk of mapping.

And in Donnie's case, 58Mb would cover all the way from John O'Groats to about Milton Keynes. I'm discounting Wales as no-one wants to go there anyway. :huh::huh:

So I wouldn't worry about basemap issues. I certainly didn't when I bought mine in the States.

Edited by Slytherin
Mapsource Roads and Recreation Europe - so I'm thinking not a great deal, as I upload the detailed maps of areas that we go to anyway.

MapSource Roads & Recreation Europe will be of no use to you if you want to make use of the 60CS's autorouting facility. For that you will need something like MapSource City Select or Metorguide so add on another £100 or so.

MapSource Roads & Recreation Europe will be of no use to you if you want to make use of the 60CS's autorouting facility. For that you will need something like MapSource City Select or Metorguide so add on another £100 or so.

Only City Select does autorouting. Metroguide v6 doesn't. :)

Only City Select does autorouting. Metroguide v6 doesn't. :)

I stand corrected ... :):bad:B)

Can I have a few more replies that say how good the 60CS is over a Vista and how much it will enhance our Geocaching, Mountain Biking and walking. That way I can print them out, show them to Ali and say - 'Look what all these experienced cachers say about it. I reeeeeeally do need one. If we carry on with our old GPSr we will drop out of the top 50 altogether'. The more replies I have (even if you don't have one yourself, but are good at story telling) the less grovelling I will have to do...................

The way I got my eTrex Venture was to buy it on amazon.com (the American side), and had it shipped to a friend living in the US along with a book he wanted himself.

He was able to test the Venture out for a few days to make sure it was cool, then he just mailed it over to me as a plain parcel like a gift. This way I was sure that it would arrive working, he got a book he wanted, and I got an eTrex with his house marked on it just incase I'm ever in the area :tongue:

Cost came to about £88 with the exchange rate at the time.