Magellan New Explorist Series

Or maybe the eTrex. These new units are just slightly larger the the eTrex series and about an ounce lighter. They seem more like competition for the eTrex, Summit, and Venture.

The question now is, do they have plans to add free memory to future models (eXplorist 400 & 500) and compete with the Legend and Vista? There's no reason why they couldn't. Even better would be the addition of an SD slot for unlimited memory options (though I doubt it).

I suspected Magellan was up to something after noticing price drops in their product line and now I know why. I think I'll hold out a bit longer before I make my final decision on which GPS to purchase. I like the size of the eTrex and SporTrak series, but am put off by the fact that their memory capacity is rather limited. Because of that, I was leaning towards a MeriGold. Though I'm still not convinced that I even need mapping capability.

Since I'm in no hurry, I'll just bide my time and see if something else is in the works.

tm

Early July.

What I want to know is: do they have a quadrifilar helix antenna? Probably yes, like all Magellan units. If yes, they are more sensitive than the Etrexes or the Gekos. Also if the eXplorist 300 has a 3-axis electronic compass, that's better than any of the electronic compasses in Garmins. (Garmins must be held level, Magellans don't have to.)

I was considering buying a Geko 301, but if the eXplorist 300 has a quad antenna and 3-axis compass then I'll go for the eXplorist, even if the size is a bit bigger (battery life is longer, too.) Price is about the same.

Karlmjansen asked, "When are they going to be available?"

They are available here: the gps store.

At least, the yellow 200 Explorist is in stock. I purchased it for my nephew and his family. I introduced him to geocaching over the 4th of July holiday and thought the Explorist 200 sounded like a good, relatively inexpensive GPSr. It indicates that it is user-friendly for beginners, but that's promotional jargon, so I'll have to wait and see. I could have gotten a basic Garmin eTrex or Geko for less, but he learned on my Magellan Meridian Platinum and if I ever have to help him troubleshoot, I think it'd be easier to do with the same brand.

I see that these new explorists feature a 14 channel parallel reciever: quote:

including all-new Magellan TrueFix™ technology, which incorporates a superior 14-parallel-channel, WAAS/EGNOS-enabled GPS receiver

I wonder if this makes much difference with locking on/keeping a signal etc...

I have heard that these units don't hook up to a computer (also the GPS store seems to support this). This seems like a major flaw.

Wyatt W.

I think you're right about the lack of PC interface capability. Although I also view it as a weakness, for me it wouldn't be a major flaw with the following in mind:

1. I prefer having the cache's paper description in hand over paperless caching. Just my preference, certainly not for everyone.

2. Although I have expandable memory with my Meridian Platinum and the Mapsend software, I often simply go with the internal 16 MB base map, a feature that sounds similar to the new Explorist 200.

3. The primary weakness would be not taking advantage of the downloadable waypoints, having to enter them instead. For me that's not a big deal, but I'm sure it might be to others.

3. The primary weakness would be not taking advantage of the downloadable waypoints, having to enter them instead. For me that's not a big deal, but I'm sure it might be to others.

I'd agree that your first two points aren't a big deal, but I think entering waypoints by hand gets old real fast...especially when a computer connection can save all that data entry. This lack seems to me to knock it out of geocaching applications for most users.

It strikes me as an odd thing when Magellan is sponsoring geocache treasure hunts...they obviously know about the activity, and these units would be much more attractive for that part of the market if they could talk to computers.

embra stated:

"It strikes me as an odd thing when Magellan is sponsoring geocache treasure hunts...they obviously know about the activity, and these units would be much more attractive for that part of the market if they could talk to computers."

Yes, I wish they had included that capability, though punching in the numbers is a bigger time obstacle to those interested in racking up big find counts, and those cachers aren't the target audience for the Explorist.

I think this series is aimed at beginning to intermediate cachers who will later upgrade or as a backup to experienced cachers.

Currently, I have over 150 finds at a fairly steady pace, and rarely do I take the time to download the waypoints or to punch in the waypoints and follow the arrow/pointer. Usually I print out the page and follow an area map and compass to the site.

However, I do use the arrow to backtrack when multiple trails exist, it's nearing dusk, and the excitement of the just-completed hunt replaced common sense. :blink:

Maybe Magellan will add the PC interface as an Explorist upgrade, but they may just stick with their SportTrak and Meridian lines which already have it.

Each eXplorist offers advanced capabilities, including all-new Magellan TrueFix™ technology, which incorporates a superior 14-parallel-channel, WAAS/EGNOS-enabled GPS receiver ... -- Magellan Press Release

Nothing like taking baby steps in today's rapidly changing consumer electronics market, eh? Why can't they incorporate everything in one shot --

new upgrades

eTrex-sized unit

SD card slot

USB 2.0 port

AC/DC power jack

quad helix antenna

barometric altimeter

3-axis electronic compass

color screen

It's not like it can't be done and with folks willing to pay $400-500 for Garmin 60CS's, the market is certainly there.

Each eXplorist model is ready for adventure in all conditions and terrains, whether your game is hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, or finding your way around a new area. -- Magellan Press Release

The SporTrak series certainly accomplished those goals; but I guess you gotta have bright colors these days if you want to compete with the eTrex's. Size wise, the eXplorist's are only one inch shorter than the SporTrak's and are still a tad bit larger than the eTrex's.

Time will tell though. Maybe future models (400, 500, 600, ...) might include some worthwhile improvements.

tm

Edited by tubemonkey
Each eXplorist offers advanced capabilities, including all-new Magellan TrueFix™ technology, which incorporates a superior 14-parallel-channel, WAAS/EGNOS-enabled GPS receiver ... -- Magellan Press Release

Nothing like taking baby steps in today's rapidly changing consumer electronics market, eh? Why can't they incorporate everything in one shot --

new upgrades

eTrex-sized unit

SD card slot

USB 2.0 port

AC/DC power jack

quad helix antenna

barometric altimeter

color screen

It's not like it can't be done and with folks willing to pay $400-500 for Garmin 60CS's, the market is certainly there.

Each eXplorist model is ready for adventure in all conditions and terrains, whether your game is hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, or finding your way around a new area. -- Magellan Press Release

The SporTrak series certainly accomplished those goals; but I guess you gotta have bright colors these days if you want to compete with the eTrex's. Size wise, the eXplorist's are only one inch shorter than the SporTrak's and are still a tad bit larger than the eTrex's.

Time will tell though. Maybe future models (400, 500, 600, ...) might include some worthwhile improvements.

tm

^^^

I agree. I don't understand why they hold back on putting in features. At this point in time, even the bottom of the line GPS's should have a 10,000 pt track log and USB 2.0. We easily have the technology to go even further than that at very little extra cost.

:blink:

vw_ev stated:

"...I don't understand why they hold back on putting in features. At this point in time, even the bottom of the line GPS's should have a 10,000 pt track log and USB 2.0. We easily have the technology to go even further than that at very little extra cost."

Track logs: Please note that the Explorist 200 and 300 do have up to 10,000 waypoints, though admittedly they are divided among five track logs. Doesn't anybody delete waypoints anymore? :)

No doubt about the USB port weakness, though I doubt it'll be much of an issue for a newbie at first--just one more reason to upgrade. Hmmm...maybe that's the marketing plan? :lol:

Still, not a bad backup for Magellan users, just like a Geko or basic eTrex (w/out computer accessories) for Garmin users.

edited to fix quote identification, with apologies to tubemonkey :blink:

Edited by Teach2Learn

new upgrades

eTrex-sized unit

SD card slot

USB 2.0 port

AC/DC power jack

quad helix antenna

barometric altimeter

color screen

tm

In reading the press release it would seem that Magellan is going for a lower price point. Adding all those features is going to drive the price up. These units are being marketed to the first time GPS buyer. Not the person that already has a GPS. You do not find a first time buyer that is going to drop down $300.00 to $500.00 for their first GPS very offten. Of course I only speak from over 10 years of selling GPSr and four years as a buyer for a GPS retailer.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
tubemonkey stated:

"...I don't understand why they hold back on putting in features. At this point in time, even the bottom of the line GPS's should have a 10,000 pt track log and USB 2.0. We easily have the technology to go even further than that at very little extra cost."

FTR, that wasn't my quote.

A better backup would be the ST Map. It's nearly identical in size, plus you can load maps on it.

SporTrak Map = 5.6" x 2.2" x 1.2" ... 6.1 oz

eXplorist 200 = 4.6" x 2.1" x 1.3" ... 4.0 oz (magellan release)

eXplorist 200 = 4.75" x 2.2" x 1.3" ... 6.1 oz (gps store specs)

tm

Edited by tubemonkey
In reading the press release it would seem that Magellan is going for a lower price point. Adding all those features is going to drive the price up. These units are being marketed to the first time GPS buyer.

The problem with that is, they added new features --TrueFix™ technology & 14 channels -- to these units. Why aim at first time users with a new model series? What they should've done was aimed at established users with the new series and just dropped the prices of the SporTraks (they are yesterday's technology afterall) for new users.

My gripe isn't with Magellan in particular, but with all manufacturers of consumer electronics. They build in obsolescence and retain old technology while incorporating newer technology in a piecemeal fashion.

Why is Magellan still using serial ports in the year 2004?

Why didn't Garmin incorporate an SD slot in their 60C series?

It would certainly be nice if a company could give the consumer what they wanted in the first place, instead of making them buy a new model each time a new feature is added. How many of you 60C series users would buy a new unit if Garmin "suddenly" added an SD slot tomorrow?

Technology marches on while manufacturers incorporate at a snail's pace.

tm

The specifications of the eXplorists are now available on Magellan's website at http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/explorist.asp

They don't tell whether these units have a quad antenna. Also, they don't tell whether the eXplorist 300 has the 3-axis electronic compass.

But the biggest disappointment is that none of the three units has PC connectivity. I think that's a deal breaker for me.

Alright guys, I sent an inquiry to Magellan. I thought I'd tell them how we feel about this considering that a majority of their sales for this line of GPS's will be Geocachers.

This is what I wrote:

I am a member of the Geocaching.com forum, and we are discussing your new explorist models. Many people are disappointed with the fact that these new models do not have the capability to transfer data to and from the PC. Geocaching is a huge, growing sport, and this ability to transfer waypoints from the computer is nearly essential. I wasn't sure who to bring this issue up with at Magellan. You can check out the thread about this at the address below:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=73458

Thank you for taking the time to read

I doubt they'll even read it, but I thought I'd atleast let them know.

Edited by vw_ev
In reading the press release it would seem that Magellan is going for a lower price point. Adding all those features is going to drive the price up. These units are being marketed to the first time GPS buyer. Not the person that already has a GPS. You do not find a first time buyer that is going to drop down $300.00 to $500.00 for their first GPS very offten. Of course I only speak from over 10 years of selling GPSr and four years as a buyer for a GPS retailer.

The guy I sit next to at work ordered a 60cs after listening to me talk about geocaching every day for a month. He had not done a geocache yet. He has used a yellow etrex of his dads a few times in the past.

JonnyVegas you constantly defend magellan, even now when they do something this stupid. I remember Garmin getting beat up bad for the Geko 101's lack of computer connectivity. Lack of computer connectivity in at least the higher of these models is a huge flaw.

Is it possible to agree with both sides on this one?

I agree with JohnnyVegas that it's aimed at newbies with its lower price and you'll have to pay more to get more...

...but I also agree with JeepCachr and others that at least for the 300 Explorist they could have added a USB port. It may not be cheap, but it can't be that expensive as you can often find it on models of a similar price (around $200, with 300 Explorist listed at $199.00).

I do think Magellan will read that email from vw_ev, but I'm not sure they'll reply or rethink the issue.

edited for typo

Edited by Teach2Learn

My thought on this stuff is "How do you upgrade the firmware?" Or does Magellan plan to make it perfect the first time out. Then again, they seem to release firmware updates once a year or so. Of the year that I've had a Meridian Platinum and a SportTrak Color there has only been one update.

I could live with the no USB/serial connectivity if it at least had an SD card like the Meridians. Heck...even my 7 year old Garmin II Plus had connectivity!

I am with the folk that think this is a mistake. I was going to buy a couple to give to family members that are getting into Geocaching. Now...no way! "Yes Unlce Howard..you have to enter the 20 caches in your area by hand. Hook it up to your PC?!? No...isn't capable." Hahahaha. I'm a Magellan fan but I think they goofed with this one. Shoot...a $100 eTrex has connectivity!

Sindigo

In reading the press release it would seem that Magellan is going for a lower price point. Adding all those features is going to drive the price up. These units are being marketed to the first time GPS buyer.

The problem with that is, they added new features --TrueFix™ technology & 14 channels -- to these units. Why aim at first time users with a new model series? What they should've done was aimed at established users with the new series and just dropped the prices of the SporTraks (they are yesterday's technology afterall) for new users.

My gripe isn't with Magellan in particular, but with all manufacturers of consumer electronics. They build in obsolescence and retain old technology while incorporating newer technology in a piecemeal fashion.

Why is Magellan still using serial ports in the year 2004?

Why didn't Garmin incorporate an SD slot in their 60C series?

It would certainly be nice if a company could give the consumer what they wanted in the first place, instead of making them buy a new model each time a new feature is added. How many of you 60C series users would buy a new unit if Garmin "suddenly" added an SD slot tomorrow?

Technology marches on while manufacturers incorporate at a snail's pace.

tm

I was told by a Garmin rep in 2003 that they would new models with SD card slots in 2004. I guess we have 5 months, but Garmin also list new products on the web site 3 months early, nothing there so far.

We received some of the Explorist 200 units late last week

at the store I work at in Denver.

No external connections provided

(There is an outline in the moulding above the battery cover

that may be used in furtiure models for a connection)

Inside the battery cover are two pads that connnect to the battery terminal.

Between these is a flat rubber plug (small) that covers 4 small holes that

provide access to the circuit board.

The display is a lot sharper than the SporTrak or Meridian series with

less apparent ghosting. (looks a lot like an eTrex display)

The two level "amber" backlight is nice. Keys do not appear to be backlit.

There are two side keys, power & backlight, rubber wrapped on sides like eTrex.

Simple to operate with few (3 screens) and an unusual satellite reception display.

Click stick operation like eTrex. Cancel button directly below.

The case for the Explorist series has pockets for batteries and SD memory cards.

Have not taken them into the woods to compare reception.

The skimpy manual provides no indication of unit being able to connect

to anything.

100 model to ship July 30, 300 on August 30

Unlike Garmin, Magellan doesn't provide complete specs & manuals on-line on the ship date.

The case for the Explorist series has pockets for batteries and SD memory cards.

Thanks for a very informative post, gps_dr. :(

I was surprised by the mention of pockets for SD cards in addition to the standard AA batteries. Did you mean they could adapt the pocket so that SD cards could be used in a future model or that SD cards could be used in the current Explorist 200 GPSr?

Any chance you (or someone at least attempting to be objective :( ) could provide us with a side-by-side comparison of the basic eTrex to an Explorist 200 (or 100, if it's a better comparison), identifying the pros and cons of each and including some of the specs?

The packaging mentioned memory card pockets.

We opened a package up. There are two pockets inside.

The smaller one looks like SD card sized.

Case just said explorist series.

I hope to update my GPS spreadsheet to include what is known

about the Explorist series.

If you never want to hook up to a computer, the 200 seems

to be a great unit. Slightly larger in each external dimension.

At $150, it would have to be compared to a legend or Venture.

It is easier to use than the eTrex (I think), but then again it

doesn't have as many features.

The Magellan site seemed unavailable earlier tonight. It now has

explorist specs. Swivel, vehicle & bike mounts available.

Model: Venture/legend/Vista Summit/camo/yellow Explorist

Pixels: 288 x 160 128 X 64 160 x 120

Display 2.1 x 1.1 2.1 x 1.1 1.8 x 1.4

Diagonal 2.3

tracklogs: 10 10 3/5/5

Trackpts total: 2K/10K/10K 2K/2K/3K N/A

Track pts Ea: ?/750/750 ? 2K/2K/2K

waypoints 500/1K/1K 500/500/500 500

Routes: 20 20/1/1 20/20/20

pts/rte 50/125/125 50/50/50 50/50/50

WAAS Y/Y/Y N/N/N Y/Y/Y

Need to get my notes and do this right.

Well, now that the official specs are out on the eXplorist series, I can finally make a purchasing decision. No free memory (detailed mapping) and no PC connectivity. On top of that, Magellan conveniently left out the type of antenna used. Could it be it's not a quad helix? So it's bye, bye eXplorist.

I had considered a MeriGold with DirectRoute & Topo, but the Meridians are too large in my opinion (the ST's fit my hand much better) and the thought of shelling out $75-100 every year or two for a DR upgrade leaves me rather cold. Though the SD slot was a big plus that I hated giving up.

So now it's down to either a Vista or ST Pro for the increased memory; or the Legend or ST Map.

I'm going with the ST Map. For $150 dollars, I get the GPSr, PC cable, neoprene case, and MapSend Topo. More memory would've been nice, but not at double the cost. Still, I should be able to get a good chunk of western Washington in 6MB.

If I'm lucky, it'll get stress cracks and I'll get a windshield mount or car adapter for my troubles. :(

tm

Here is the Magellan press release about the differences in the eXplorist 100, 200 & 300

New Magellan eXplorist Series Delivers Three Small, Affordable, Easy-to-Use Handhelds for Power-Packed GPS Navigation

SANTA CLARA, Calif., June 15 /PRNewswire/ -- This summer, Thales introduces the all-new Magellan® eXplorist series: Three new Magellan® handheld GPS navigation devices that re-write the rulebook by proving you can spend less and get more. The eXplorist 100, eXplorist 200 and eXplorist 300 deliver more advanced features, more powerful performance and more value.

There's a lot to the small, cool eXplorist series' beyond the vibrant blue, orange and yellow exteriors. Inside and out, eXplorists are built to provide real GPS for serious outdoor use -- from their tough, impact-resistant, waterproof exterior, to the proven Magellan technology inside that packs powerful functionality into an easy-to-use operating system. Each eXplorist offers advanced capabilities, including all-new Magellan TrueFix technology, which incorporates a superior 14-parallel-channel, WAAS/EGNOS-enabled GPS receiver to provide precise position fixes within three meters and ensure advanced reliability and accuracy in satellite signal acquisition and tracking. Explorers will also appreciate Magellan one-button access, which quickly takes users directly to the functions that matter most: the menu, navigation screens, personal points-of-interest storage, 'go to' routing, and the backlight. In addition, each eXplorist model stores up to 500 waypoints, 20 routes and multiple track logs with up to 2,000 points each, providing ample storage space even for avid navigators.

Designed for compact, fit-in-your-pocket convenience, eXplorist receivers measure only 4.6" x 2.1" x 1.3" (11,7 cm x 5,4 cm x 3,3 cm) and weigh less than four ounces (115 g), yet they provide a large 2.3" (5,8 cm) diagonal, four-level grayscale LCD display. The zoom capability and amber backlighting ensure optimum viewing even at night. The rugged exterior is wrapped in a rubber-armored, impact-resistant casing that is waterproof to the rigid IPX-7 standard. Each eXplorist model is ready for adventure in all conditions and terrains, whether your game is hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, or finding your way around a new area.

eXplorist 100: The eXplorist 100 is the ideal all-around recreational navigation device. At just $99 MSRP (US), it offers the best value in a GPS/track plotter for the budget conscious, yet it's powerful enough for the expert GPS user. Small, lightweight and easy-to-use, anyone can pick it up and get going without studying a manual. Among its many features, the orange eXplorist 100 offers three navigation screens with track plotting to help you find the fun -- then find your way back. It also saves up to three track-log files with up to 2000 points each.

eXplorist 200: For those who need mapping, the eXplorist 200 adds to the features found in the eXplorist 100 a built-in North American or European background map and the ability to save up to five track-log files each with up to 2000 points. The background map offers convenient access to roads, parks, waterways, airports and more. With its bright yellow casing, the eXplorist 200 delivers all the functionality and features an adventurer needs at just $149 MSRP (US)-- an affordable breakthrough price for mapping handhelds.

eXplorist 300: Rounding out the series, the eXplorist 300 adds a trio of advanced tools to the built-in nationwide background map for easier navigation: a barometer, an altimeter and an electronic compass, which eliminates the need to be in motion to get a direction to a destination. Like the eXplorist 200, the eXplorist 300 contains a background map with roads, parks, waterways, airports and more, plus three navigation screens and the ability to save five track-log files with up to 2000 points each. The ideal choice for outdoor adventures, the blue-cased eXplorist 300 is a robust GPS receiver delivering all of these major features, at a most-affordable price of only $199 MSRP (US).

About Thales' navigation business

Thales' navigation business unit develops and manufactures world leading positioning, navigation and guidance equipment. It markets its Magellan brand GPS solutions in the consumer electronics, recreation, and automotive markets, and its GPS and GNSS professional products in the survey, GIS/Mapping, and OEM markets. Key innovations include the first U.S. commercial hand-held GPS receiver for positioning and navigation, and the first handheld GPS with industry standard Secure Digital Memory Card capabilities. Thales' navigation business unit is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA and has worldwide operations.

For more information, visit http://www.thalesnavigation.com/.

© 2004 Thales SA. All rights reserved. Magellan eXplorist and TrueFix are trademarks of Thales.

NOTE TO EDITORS: For hi-res digital images please visit

www.magellangps.com.

CONTACT: Jonina Mentor, jmentor@bearemg.com, or Susan Roush,

sroush@bearemg.com, both of Bear Enthusiast Marketing Group, +1-818-865-6464;

or Angela Linsey-Jackson of Thales Navigation, +1-909-394-5062,

alinsey-jackson@thalesnavigation.com, all for Magellan

Web site: http://www.thalesnavigation.com/

Web site: http://www.magellangps.com/

Well, now that the official specs are out on the eXplorist series, I can finally make a purchasing decision. No free memory (detailed mapping) and no PC connectivity. On top of that, Magellan conveniently left out the type of antenna used. Could it be it's not a quad helix? So it's bye, bye eXplorist.

I understand your decision, but am still unclear concerning what gps_dr said about the Explorist. From his post, it sounds like it does have SD card slots, but if so, why didn't the press release state that more clearly? From what I can tell (and please tell me if I missed it), the closest it comes is under the "About Thales" part at the bottom where it refers to producing the "first handheld GPS with industry standard Secure Digital Memory Card capabilities." Does industry standard mean the Explorist has it too?

The 8 mb internal map is decent but not detailed like Mapsend Topo/Streets or the recent Directroute.

However, if the Explorist 200 does have SD card expansion, that helps offset the lack of a USB port, especially for the $149 (or less) price. Of course, I still wish the Explorist 300 at $199 could have added the computer connectivity.

Edited by Teach2Learn

I understand your decision, but am still unclear concerning what gps_dr said about the Explorist. From his post, it sounds like it does have SD card slots, but if so, why didn't the press release state that more clearly? From what I can tell (and please tell me if I missed it), the closest it comes is under the "About Thales" part at the bottom where it refers to producing the "first handheld GPS with industry standard Secure Digital Memory Card capabilities." Does industry standard mean the Explorist has it too?

The 16 mb internal map is decent but not detailed like Mapsend Topo/Streets or the recent Directroute.

However, if the Explorist 200 does have SD card expansion, that helps offset the lack of a USB port, especially for the $149 (or less) price. Of course, I still wish the Explorist 300 at $199 could have added the computer connectivity.

No, actually, he said "The case for the Explorist series has pockets for batteries and SD memory cards", not the GPS itself. That inplies either SD cards for the Explorist were originallly planned and rejected before production, or future models of the Explorist may have SD cards.

Also, with no SD card, and no pc connectivity, you are limited to the pre-installed base map.

Edited by Mopar
Retails for 149 bucks, you'll probably find it in WalMart for just a bit over 100 bucks. It's entry level like the little yellow etrex.

I'd rather have the meridian gold myself as WallyMart sells those for under 200, but that's me.

I keeping looking at the walmarts near me and none of them have any GPSr in them let alone a Meridian gold. ( I have been to about 6 of them so far)

I keeping looking at the walmarts near me and none of them have any GPSr in them let alone a Meridian gold. ( I have been to about 6 of them so far)

Isn't that weird? We have two WallyWorlds in the area and they both carry a pretty full line of gps's. Both Garmins and Mags.

I'd suggest asking to speak to a manager. Mangagers at WalMart get bonus's for making customers happy. You might find them in stock within a couple of weeks if you do. I'd also mention that you know WalMarts in Oregon carry them.

Mopar stated:

No, actually, he said "The case for the Explorist series has pockets for batteries and SD memory cards", not the GPS itself. That inplies either SD cards for the Explorist were originallly planned and rejected before production, or future models of the Explorist may have SD cards.

Also, with no SD card, and no pc connectivity, you are limited to the pre-installed base map.

Thanks, Mopar!

I think I misunderstood "case" as "casing" of the GPSr. Obviously, pockets in a case won't be too helpful even if you bought the SD cards and downloaded the maps from Mapsend.

Like gps_dr remarked, "If you never want to hook up to a computer, the 200 seems to be a great unit," but as the posts on this thread indicate, most people want that capability at an introductory level price (along with the SD card slot, unlimited waypoints, etc.) Asking too much for the price? Maybe just one of those features could be included?

The eXplorist would have been perfect for me. I don't need detailed mapping because in the car I'm using a Pocket PC with navigation software. I only need a handheld GPSr for hiking, and for that, no map is necessary (I don't care for topo maps either). I can even live without a base map. So I don't need an SD slot.

But of course I need PC connectivity to upload the cache locations to the GPSr. I am even willing to pay $20 more for a unit with PC connectivity.

Magellan really shot themselves in the foot by omitting the PC connectivity.

The eXplorist would have been perfect for me. I don't need detailed mapping because in the car I'm using a Pocket PC with navigation software. I only need a handheld GPSr for hiking, and for that, no map is necessary (I don't care for topo maps either). I can even live without a base map. So I don't need an SD slot.

But of course I need PC connectivity to upload the cache locations to the GPSr. I am even willing to pay $20 more for a unit with PC connectivity.

Magellan really shot themselves in the foot by omitting the PC connectivity.

I must agree, without the PC connectivity, I hae no use for one of the explorist, I guess I will stick with the three other Magellans I have now. I will have to ask the rep what they were thinking when I see him next month. My guess is that the bean counters go inloved. This feature should have been included on the 200 and 300.

This feature should have been included on the 200 and 300.

Not to worry; they'll get around to adding PC connectivity in the eXplorist 800. :laughing: Here's Magellan's proposed timetable for upgrades:

eXplorist 400 -- Jul 2005 -- 200 features + power jack

eXplorist 500 -- Jul 2005 -- 300 features + power jack

eXplorist 600 -- Jul 2006 -- 400 features + 16MB basemap

eXplorist 700 -- Jul 2006 -- 500 features + 16MB basemap

eXplorist 800 -- Jul 2007 -- 600 features + serial port

eXplorist 900 -- Jul 2007 -- 700 features + serial port

eXplorist 1000 -- Jul 2008 -- 800 features + 8MB memory

eXplorist 1100 -- Jul 2008 -- 900 features + 24MB memory

eXplorist 1200 -- Jul 2009 -- 1000 features + USB 1.1

eXplorist 1300 -- Jul 2009 -- 1100 features + USB 1.1

eXplorist 1400 -- Jul 2010 -- 1200 features + 10,000 trackpoints

eXplorist 1500 -- Jul 2010 -- 1300 features + 10,000 trackpoints

eXplorist 1600 -- Jul 2011 -- 1400 features + USB 2.0

eXplorist 1700 -- Jul 2011 -- 1500 features + USB 2.0

eXplorist 1800 -- Jul 2012 -- 1600 features + SD slot

eXplorist 1900 -- Jul 2012 -- 1700 features + SD slot

I can hardly wait for the 1900 to be released. Shoot, those eight years will fly by so fast, that I'll have my SD slot before I know it. :blink:

tm

This feature should have been included on the 200 and 300.

Not to worry; they'll get around to adding PC connectivity in the eXplorist 800. :blink: Here's Magellan's proposed timetable for upgrades:

eXplorist 400 -- Jul 2005 -- 200 features + power jack

eXplorist 500 -- Jul 2005 -- 300 features + power jack

eXplorist 600 -- Jul 2006 -- 400 features + 16MB basemap

eXplorist 700 -- Jul 2006 -- 500 features + 16MB basemap

eXplorist 800 -- Jul 2007 -- 600 features + serial port

eXplorist 900 -- Jul 2007 -- 700 features + serial port

eXplorist 1000 -- Jul 2008 -- 800 features + 8MB memory

eXplorist 1100 -- Jul 2008 -- 900 features + 24MB memory

eXplorist 1200 -- Jul 2009 -- 1000 features + USB 1.1

eXplorist 1300 -- Jul 2009 -- 1100 features + USB 1.1

eXplorist 1400 -- Jul 2010 -- 1200 features + 10,000 trackpoints

eXplorist 1500 -- Jul 2010 -- 1300 features + 10,000 trackpoints

eXplorist 1600 -- Jul 2011 -- 1400 features + USB 2.0

eXplorist 1700 -- Jul 2011 -- 1500 features + USB 2.0

eXplorist 1800 -- Jul 2012 -- 1600 features + SD slot

eXplorist 1900 -- Jul 2012 -- 1700 features + SD slot

I can hardly wait for the 1900 to be released. Shoot, those eight years will fly by so fast, that I'll have my SD slot before I know it. :laughing:

tm

are they kidding? all this stuff is already available. what about the new technologies that will come in the next couple of years. i had high hopes when i first heard about this series, but now i am afraid it had turned into a waste of money. :( i was considering buying the 200 but i just bought the sportrak map. why are they wasting money and time on the serial port models and the usb1.1 models. usb2.0 is here and it is about time for the next version of usb.

Edited by karlmjansen

I just received the new "Le Baron" 2004-2005 Winter supplement <http://www.lebaron.ca/>, and it mentions the Explorist 500 to be released in October of this years (no mention of a 400 model), features include the following:

All of the 300 features, plus:

- High Resolution Color Transflectiver Display

- Rechargable Lithium Ion Battery Pack

- USB Port for quick uploads

- SD Slot, for unlimited expandable memory

- Accepts all MapSend Data Products for loading of additional mad detail

Le Baron mentions the price tag of 549.94$ Canadian

Happy dreaming of the perfect GPS

AV Dezign