Magellan GPS...need help..please...

CoachBaldy

I have a new Magellan SportTrak Map. I have figured our how to set it up and put in a mark and follow the arrow as it moves--but, how do I get the distance to diminish as I get nearer my objective? I'm messin up somewhere and would appreciate some help--I'm just a rookie.

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." JRR Tolkien

When you create a waypoint and save it, it will be saved in your "user" database.You then push the "GOTO" button, go to your "user" database ad select that waypoint. This tells the GPS where you want to go and it will count down the distance as you get closer.

If you've put in the way point then you need to set it as a GoTo - then when you are on the compass screen you should see the arrow pointing towards the waypoint and the distance should count down as you walk towards it. Best way is to go into the backyard or a local park. Mark a waypoint and then practice going to it from several different spots. That way you soon figure out how it works and you're then ready to go look for a real cache.

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

Suggest going through the intialization procedure again (Menu Setup Initialize). Then check that the coordinates change when you move around on the position screen. Make sure that it does read distance on the compass screen (it can be customized to other things). If this still doesn't work then it sounds like its broke and I'd take it back for a replacement.

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

I have the Magellan SporTrak Map also, and the directions MAG315 gave are exactly right. I input all my waypoints manually, and, as long as you have them put in correctly, push the GOTO button (the one at the bottom center, that looks like the walking man), select User, push enter, then select the waypoint you want to get to, and hit enter again. The only thing I can think of that you might be doing wrong following these directions, is if you move the cursor before you push the GOTO button, it will as you if you want to "Goto current cursor position?" highlight NO, then proceed with these instructions. Hopefully, that will get you where you want to go.

This problem is usually created as SLCDave surmised, the cursor is moved.

One of the things the Magellan series does is provide a distance from you to the point of interest (POI) when you move the cursor to that POI. It will not update itself automatically when in cursor mode. If you are in cursor mode, press the ESC key and your system will go back to tracking mode. If you choose to stay in cursor mode, just jog the cursor a little bit and then back to the targeted POI and the distance will recorrect itself.

Cheers!

TL