Garmin Gps 12

TruFinds

Could someone help this newbie with the 12? I was at the Buhl Park Cache this past weekend, and i swear this thing was going haywire! I would jump from .128-.134 back and forth on the GPSr . It was under some light tree cover and it was a bit overcast. I also don't believe the thing knows what the compass or the "pointer" is there for - it never really seems to "update".

I don't know if the "lock" was "jumping" satalites or what. We had 3. Could this be a defect in the 12? Has anybody experienced this? Could anyone tell me what todays equivalent model is to the 12 or recommend a newer unit (from personal experience, not manufact. website)?

See if your firmware is new. Latest version is 4.58 Further: the GPS12 is well-know for its robusteness and good performance. May be a total facory reset is needed to 'clean' the machine in a way.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~atarist/geo/gps_secret.htm for more info.

And satellite configuration makes it possible to have for a while (30 minutes or so mostly) not very many satellites visible. And when 2 are then blocked by trees, you can have reception of only 3 and then position accuracy is minimal as the GPS12 showed you by juggling with numbers on the screen.

Could someone help this newbie with the 12? , and i swear this thing was going haywire! I would jump from .128-.134 back and forth on the GPSr . It was under some light tree cover and it was a bit overcast. I also don't believe the thing knows what the compass or the "pointer" is there for - it never really seems to "update".

I don't know if the "lock" was "jumping" satalites or what. We had 3. Could this be a defect in the 12? Has anybody experienced this? Could anyone tell me what todays equivalent model is to the 12 or recommend a newer unit (from personal experience, not manufact. website)?

I run a Garmin 12 all the time, against some of the newest Garmin and Mag's, most of the time they bring us to the same coords :D . Three sat's usually don't give the best results. When I have 4+ sat locks, I can get to 13 feet at best, usually 20-33 feet is average. The only thing I don't like is when you get down to .002 away you loose your bearing [direction] ;) . I always carry a compass to triangulate the waypoint, it works for me. I've thought of upgrading, but can't warrant spending the $300-$400. Hint: when you get close to the area your heading to walk slow and let the gpsr do the work :D . As for tree cover, if it's heavy, you'll lose coverage with most any gpsr's:unsure: . As for using the pointer [compass] on the gpsr, I almost never use it. Carry a compass, it's not affected by tree cover. If you have a cable, go to garmin.com and download the latest software upgrade as well. If you need more help let me know, or pm me directly. :) SF1

With only 3 satellites any receiver will have some changable issues as well as limiting a 2D solution. 3 sats absolute minimum and not the best scenario especially considering t he possible geometry.

It could have been obstructions (buildings, trees other structures etc) if there were other sats available but not in view (obstructed) or maybe a period where the number of Sats available was low.

Cheers, Kerry.

We started with a Garmin 12 and were very satisfied with it. One thing we did was change the setting to metric rather than miles. That way, when we were at .1, we knew we were about 100 meters away, or approximately 300 feet. (Yes, we are US geocachers, but found that using the metric system was very easy for geocaching.) When we got to .01, it was about 10 meters away, or about 30 feet. That is when the arrow would dance from one side to another, common to probably any GPSr. (If we were having considerable trouble finding the cache, he would triangulate for us... stand off and tell us it is "so far" in one direction, and have one child stand at about that spot, and do that from another angle. We still do that with the Garmin V, although our spotting ability has improved greatly.) That is well within the range of error for most geocaches, considering that the person that placed the cache also will have some error, too. We upgraded to a Garmin V last summer, and on either one, depending on the tree cover, you can be standing still, and the distance will jump just like you described. Keep trying, and you will soon learn the quirks of your machine, just like any of the other receivers.