Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muirwoody

Hamfest And Cache Events

As a new geocacher and a Ham I was wondering how to go about adding a cache event to a hamfest. In my case, the Indianapolis Hamfest. This year it's July 10th. Probably too late now, but maybe in 2005. Any ideas on what it would take to make it happen?

As a new geocacher and a Ham I was wondering how to go about adding a cache event to a hamfest. In my case, the Indianapolis Hamfest. This year it's July 10th. Probably too late now, but maybe in 2005. Any ideas on what it would take to make it happen?

Hi,

The first thing you should do is check out the guidelines for hiding a cache.

The part covering events says in part

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching.  After the event has passed, the event cache is archived.  While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

A hamfest would not be listed here as an event, just like the ARRL would not publish a geocaching event. Sorry.

Probably better to work with your local HAM club and hide a geocache near the Field Day site so people can find the cache while attending Field Day. Geocaching HAM's would appreciate the double dip and the presence of the geocache might bring some interested people by the event.

I tried to organize something for Dayton but there were no takers. If there aren't any Geocaching Hams at Dayton, I suspect there won't be any at the smaller hamventions.

I tried to organize something for Dayton but there were no takers. If there aren't any Geocaching Hams at Dayton, I suspect there won't be any at the smaller hamventions.

I can't make it to the whole Field Day event here in Omaha, but I plan on attending some of it. There aren't as many "dual gamer"s as one might think from this discussion group. I think that I am the only one in Omaha. As I said earlier, the interest of the two groups is close enough that you might get some APRS people interested in geocaching and vice versa.

I think the big problem is that many (perhaps most) hams are not adventurous types. Their idea of and outdoor hunt is a tailgator hamfest.

73 de CA

I think the big problem is that many (perhaps most) hams are not adventurous types. Their idea of and outdoor hunt is a tailgator hamfest.

73 de CA

And yet both activities involve electronic gadgets and "gear" of the sort that Hams love. (There's that external GPSr antenna option.... maybe another one they could figure out how to stick on the trunk lid...) And there are Hamfest "foxhunts" for transmitters - a similar type of "search" activity and interest in aprs growing, I think more Hams may become interested in caching.

73 de CA

And yet both activities involve electronic gadgets and "gear" of the sort that Hams love. (There's that external GPSr antenna option.... maybe another one they could figure out how to stick on the trunk lid...) And there are Hamfest "foxhunts" for transmitters - a similar type of "search" activity and interest in aprs growing, I think more Hams may become interested in caching.

I am more interested in APRS as a new HAM from my background in Geocaching.

As for the earlier comment about an event cache, I suppose that we need some definition about what is an event cache, and you could get around it by setting up a cache with the description being heavy toward the hamfest, thus attracting the geocachers to the hamfest. Still, it would be good to have some mechanism of citing these cool events.

While I hold no delusions that we would start a stampede of cachers turned HAM's or vice versa, it would be a natural nexus of the two. Especially here where there are so many people into HAM so they can do things with their kids.

There is a cache within 0.1 mile of our club's field day site, but it was hidden by a non-ham I think.

Dave

I had the same problem. A local state park has an annual exposition. The entry fee is waved that weekend, so the park is full both days. They asked me to set something up about Geocaching.

I had information on the table introducing Geocaching. I also set up an event cache for the cachers, and a kiddie-cache where my daughter taught the kids how to cache, and they could take one toy free when they found the cache. It was a great success, and netted a number of new cachers.

I tried to do the same the next year, and was told the cache would not be approved. Hmmmm... Well, as I see it, it is geocaching's loss, and my gain as it frees me up to do something else that weekend. Too bad, because we need more cachers and caches in this area.

So now I lead a few hikes that weekend. I am still doing volunteer work in the park, but the opportunity to introduce more visitors to Geocaching is lost because of a rule.

Like I said, it is Geocaching's loss, not mine.

Hmmm, if a cache at at Hamfest won't be approved, what is this cache?:

Jamboree on the Air 2003. (there's enough words in english for me to get the idea....and sorry, I don't know how to link to a cache page) There's some pictures of this event posted on the Geocaching Topics Forum in the "What Does Your Forum Central Look Like? thread on page 1 of the thread.

I think I figured out how to link:

Jamboree

Edited by Muirwoody

Hmmm, if a cache at at Hamfest won't be approved, what is this cache?:

Jamboree on the Air 2003. (there's enough words in english for me to get the idea....and sorry, I don't know how to link to a cache page) There's some pictures of this event posted on the Geocaching Topics Forum in the "What Does Your Forum Central Look Like? thread on page 1 of the thread.

I think I figured out how to link:

Jamboree

Read it again (and look at the cache type).

English text:

Park your car at 51 03.120 N, 6 33.450 E please

Every year on the third weekend in october is the Jamboree On The Air event. Scouts from all over the world try to communicate via amateur radio.

The cache is on the campground of the JOTA 2003. The cache will persist after the jamboree, but if you find it on october 18th or 19th 2003 you can meet us.

That is a physical, traditional cache that is there all year, not an event cache like they are discussing here.

Edited by Mopar

That is a physical, traditional cache that is there all year, not an event cache like they are discussing here.

Right. That is what I am going to try to arrange next year. Check out the park and see if they will allow a permanent cache. If not, place one nearby.