Tech Support

I had to email Garmin once when my compass arrow kept disappearing. They emailed me back within an hour or so and suggested I recalibrate the compass and also gave me information on shipping it back if I needed to. I recalibarated the compass and now it works perfectly. :)

I've had to call Garmin twice now on a known bug in Mapsource with respect to Washington State. Both times were met with short hold times and accurate solutions.

I have also used the GPS Units and Software forum to gain anecdotal insights to the same unit with success and shared new info as I received it.

Is there a problem asking here first instead of calling the 800 number? I don't think there should be. I believe the fact we have such a large community willing to help out here, the hold times I've personally experienced are as short as they are.

I've had to call Garmin twice now on a known bug in Mapsource with respect to Washington State. Both times were met with short hold times and accurate solutions.

I have also used the GPS Units and Software forum to gain anecdotal insights to the same unit with success and shared new info as I received it.

Is there a problem asking here first instead of calling the 800 number? I don't think there should be. I believe the fact we have such a large community willing to help out here, the hold times I've personally experienced are as short as they are.

I don't see a probelm asking here, I have just found for myself calling at 800 number a lot faster.

I don't see a probelm asking here, I have just found for myself calling at 800 number a lot faster.

That's cool. Just looking for the thrust of this thread. ;)

I cannot comment on the high quality of Garmin tech support. I called them about my Garmin GPS II+ and the "Low memory battery" warning. The guy on the other line said to ship it in to get repaired and that all repairs would be covered under warranty. Mind you, this unit is 4~5 years old and has a lot of use. Fortunately, at that time I spoke up and told him that part of the screen had died. The guy on the other line said that he would have the screen also replaced under warranty.

I shipped it off and about a week and a half later it came back all cleaned up and working like clockwork. All I had to do was pay for the shipping to get it out there which is very small in comparison the probable cost of getting everything fixed and definately small price if I would have had to buy a new GPSr.

If that ain't customer service than I don't know what is.

Max T.

Just had to send my new 60CS in for repair (power button doesn't work at all). I took it back to the place I purchased it and the fellow said "Maybe 4-8 weeks". He said that the turn-around in repairs is not great.

I'll keep you informed!

If it was brand new out of the box they should have givin you a new one., Also, you will find it a lot faster to send the GPS back to the manufacture on your own, it might cost you a few bucks but it is a lot faster. THe store has to make time to pack the GPS, here alone you are going to lose a couple of days. 4 to 8 weeks sound like a long time, the longest time I have ever seen is about two weeks.

I called magellan when i opened the package on my meridain, put the bateries in and it didnt come on.

needless to say they wernt much help,  but it did waste about 30 min of my time....

In that case you should have right to the dealer for an exchange, I am sure they would have replaced it for you. THere is not much that can be done over the phone if the gps is not working.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I had heard some bad things about Magellan service so when I busted by MEriPlat, I was a bit cautious. I sent an e-mail describing a relatively mild impact that led to the left 1/8" of the screen going blank. My first e-mail response came in a few days suggesting that, from the description it sounded like someone had loaded the wrong software. What? That was wrong but I updated the software, had the same problem and replied. The response to that was an RMA.

I sent it back and in a week and a half had gotten it back with a new display, fresh batteries and a windshield mount. I only missed out on one weekend of geocaching and was pleased with the service.

Okay, here's my take on Magellan's Tech Support - I've contacted them four times now, and every single time I was very impressed by their helpfulness and speed of repair services. Four calls also got me a free windshield mount, three sets of manuals, two wrist straps, a free belt case, an upgrade to a Sportrak Pro and then they finally offered to give me my money back, or upgrade me again to a Meridian Marine. I took the Meridian, of course. :lol: For my money, they have been the best tech support I have ever encountered, bar none. I have worked tech support for 10+ years for computers, and while I am pretty knowledgeable, I could never offer a bunch of free stuff, along with my sage advice.

I have had my gm100 from Lowrance for about 4 years now. When it was around 2 years old and out of warranty the rubber covering the buttons was coming off.

I went to there office here in Canada and they gave me a factory exchange unit for free, the same day.

If you check with most of the gps manufactures they all seem to offer exchange units for a cheaper price then a new one for out of warranty problems.

:lol:

Edited by gm100guy