What's the general age of people who geocache?

RobertM

quote:
Originally posted by brettd:

quote:
i think im the youngest to post on this thread... i'm 18

If you are counting birthdays, I am 9 and a half and that's less than 18. In fact, both of my kids (assistant geocachers) have passed me up at 12 and 15. I just don't age as fast as the rest of you icon_razz.gif

-Brett

I'm the true youngest. 12 years old 16/9/02. :)icon_biggrin.gif

Olivia

quote:
Originally posted by brettd:

quote:
i think im the youngest to post on this thread... i'm 18

If you are counting birthdays, I am 9 and a half and that's less than 18. In fact, both of my kids (assistant geocachers) have passed me up at 12 and 15. I just don't age as fast as the rest of you icon_razz.gif

-Brett

I'm the true youngest. 12 years old 16/9/02. ;)icon_biggrin.gif

Olivia

I'm 39.9, married and my two kids are 7 and ten and they just love this game. I design computerized building automation systems.

My wife gave me a lot of grief for buying a "$200 toy" (E-Trex Legend, I told her $200) until I started going out every weekend with the kids, getting a lot of exercise hiking around in the hills looking for hidden treasure. Then she was thrilled and told me that I should have bought it a long time ago.

Speaking of techno-geeks.

My brother joined me last week for a hunt. I couldn't get enough birds for a fix, so my brother pulled his GPSMap out of the car, plugged the NMEA port into his laptop and carried the whole rig down the trail looking for the cache.

You should have seen the looks we got carrying a laptop and GPS into the woods, down the trail with his son out in front with the antenna. I was joking that they now know what techno-nerds look like when hiking.

If that didn't work, we could have pulled the Northstar DGPS off of his boat and ran the antenna and differential antenna up a tree to get a better fix. Carrying the 12V battery would have made it a little harder.

Oo I'm close to this one!

female

engaged

27 (fiancee is same age)

0 children

2! robotic pets! hehe I just HAD to get the mouse so my cat could chase something.

I haven't found my first cache yet, but I'm waiting for my GPS to arrive in the mail.. then off I go!

quote:
Originally posted by Egnix:

Last time I checked I was:

male

single

0 children

1 robotic pet

icon_wink.gif

Oo I'm close to this one!

female

engaged

27 (fiancee is same age)

0 children

2! robotic pets! hehe I just HAD to get the mouse so my cat could chase something.

I haven't found my first cache yet, but I'm waiting for my GPS to arrive in the mail.. then off I go!

quote:
Originally posted by Egnix:

Last time I checked I was:

male

single

0 children

1 robotic pet

icon_wink.gif

I´m 45, son Philip is 12 and daughter Carolin is 8. Dear wife once again asked for explanation last night about the hobby - it doesn´t seem to make sense to her. As there are 3 of us in the team, when asked how much the eTrex Vista cost... I divided by 3 icon_wink.gif.

Good question here might be how old we´ll be when we find out first cache as we´re the only members of this sect down in this neck of the woods !!

David

I´m 45, son Philip is 12 and daughter Carolin is 8. Dear wife once again asked for explanation last night about the hobby - it doesn´t seem to make sense to her. As there are 3 of us in the team, when asked how much the eTrex Vista cost... I divided by 3 icon_wink.gif.

Good question here might be how old we´ll be when we find out first cache as we´re the only members of this sect down in this neck of the woods !!

David

I, too, remember the IBM360 (started my career on one), where I was when Kennedy was shot, when we first walked on the moon, and I have a vaccination scar on my arm (you don't see those nowadays).

A group of us were remembering the good old days of computing the other day. One guy said he remembered when you had to hit 'EOB' instead of RETURN (I remember that too). I said "I remember when computer terminals didn't have BACKSPACE keys." The guy next to me said "YOU HAD KEYS?!"

I'm 49. My wife is 47, but looks in her 20's. I'm a very lucky man!

"According to US Census Bureau statistics, the average Geocacher is a married, Caucasian male, 37 years old with 1.5 children and employed in the Information Systems field."

You mean that the US census actually tracks the demographics of geocachers now? Has the sport become *that* popular? I didn't see that question on my census form icon_wink.gif

Anyway, 35 here and in a profession much geekier than I.T....Finance! icon_biggrin.gif

"According to US Census Bureau statistics, the average Geocacher is a married, Caucasian male, 37 years old with 1.5 children and employed in the Information Systems field."

You mean that the US census actually tracks the demographics of geocachers now? Has the sport become *that* popular? I didn't see that question on my census form icon_wink.gif

Anyway, 35 here and in a profession much geekier than I.T....Finance! icon_biggrin.gif

I always like these kinds of threads on boards.

I'm 32 (gotta quit counting those dang birthdays pretty soon)and the grizzly old chessie <---[The Face)that does caches with me is 10 now, he's been diabetic for 5 years now and is retired from his duck hunting days, I'm a flexo pressman[printer to you lay folks)and musky fishing addict that caches on the side. icon_biggrin.gif

I always like these kinds of threads on boards.

I'm 32 (gotta quit counting those dang birthdays pretty soon)and the grizzly old chessie <---[The Face)that does caches with me is 10 now, he's been diabetic for 5 years now and is retired from his duck hunting days, I'm a flexo pressman[printer to you lay folks)and musky fishing addict that caches on the side. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure seems like that's the average age, 30's and 40's. I am in that group. When I was in my teens and twenties all I ever did was wander around to go on hikes and bike rides. Nothing organized at all. Of course GPS was unheard of too, I would have been happy to use such a thing back then. But without the Internet I'd still have wandered aimlessly. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure seems like that's the average age, 30's and 40's. I am in that group. When I was in my teens and twenties all I ever did was wander around to go on hikes and bike rides. Nothing organized at all. Of course GPS was unheard of too, I would have been happy to use such a thing back then. But without the Internet I'd still have wandered aimlessly. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

According to US Census Bureau statistics, the average Geocacher is a married, Caucasian male, 37 years old with 1.5 children and employed in the Information Systems field.

Well, I qualify in 4/5 of your stats. I'm actually 32, not 37. icon_wink.gif I think you are right about on target. This is often how I can spot geocachers out on a trail. I think, okay he's married, got a kid, looks around my age, and is carrying some sort of device. BINGO!

--CoronaKid

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

According to US Census Bureau statistics, the average Geocacher is a married, Caucasian male, 37 years old with 1.5 children and employed in the Information Systems field.

Actually I just made those statistics up becuase they sounded good, but I bet I'm not too far off.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

47, Male Caucasion - 2 kids - Married - Employed in Information Management

Fair winds, Capn Skully