What's The Diff Betwixt "f" & "smile"?

And just what does "F" stand for anyway?!?!?!  I have a theory, but I failed biology class so I dunno.

My theory is that it stands for frog. Before the current Signal-smileys were brought here, there suddenly appeared one frog smiley among the other smileys, and its code was : F : (without spaces).

To derail this topic: I've wondered about the codes of the Signal smileys for a long time. To me, they often look like something else than the code says. Like

: back : :back: - This looked like a hotel reception bell or eyeless horror Signal to me for a long time, until I realized that in the code it says back there. It's Signal that has turned her back at you! Smiley that says I'm ignoring you. This was also strenghtened by some forum admins in another thread. I began to like this smiley.

: bad : :bad: - This doesn't look bad to me at all. It's like an ordinary grinning winkie, like ;-). At least this is where I use this Signal smiley myself. The yellow counterpart ;) looks a bit weird to me. Is it drunk?

: grin : :grin: - Maybe it's me not speaking English as a native language, but to me that one doesn't look like it's grinning as much as it looks like smiling. This is Signal's counterpart to yellow :-) or :) when I use it. The previous winkie Signal looks more grinning to me. Oh well, to-may-tos, to-mah-tos...

: cute : :cute: - Cute?! Did it say cute?!! Looks like she's about to puke. Or choke. Ok, it could be just blushing, guess that can be cute.

: angry : :) - This is pretty much what it says. Angry. I like that demonic red tint around her eyes.

: yikes : :) - No complaint here either.

: sad : :sad: - Yes, yes, it looks sad, but somehow she looks a bit mad too. Like in the way she's so sad and mad she's going to commit a mass murder soon. The yellow counterpart :( looks just sad. No murderous thoughts behind those eyes. I can see where the sadness is tried to be drawn on Signal, but at least at my screen resolution (1600x1200) Signal's eyes get that mad nuance. Maybe making her eyes slightly bigger would improve the sadness and lessen the madness.

: shocked : :smile: - Well, I guess a shocked frog could look like that too, but now that I rethought it, this looks far more about-to-puke (or choke) than the cute one, which is definitely cuter than this one.

: smile : B) - I've never considered this to be a smiling smiley. It's a rolleyes, you hear me, rolleyes!

: surprise : :) - This is clearly louder smiley than yikes. I'm fine with it.

: tired : :tired: - Here we go again. This is sad. Not the murderous one. Granted, it looks tired too. But in a great sad way.

: tongue : B) - Well, it clearly has a tongue. But if the purpose was to have a Signal counterpart for the :-P smiley, or the yellow :P , I'd say Signal looks much more bad than them.

In conclusion I'd say if B) was : rolleyes : then :grin: could be : smile : and then :bad: could be : grin : which gives us the possibility to rename :o to : bad :. That way we all could sleep a bit better. After that we could direct our resources to the conflicts between sadness, madness, puking, choking and tiredness.

Edit: typos/grammar.

Edited by Divine
To derail this topic: I've wondered about the codes of the Signal smileys for a long time. To me, they often look like something else than the code says.

Hehehehe, topic hereby officially declared un-derailed. Great questions, must have answers!

My thoughts:

:) I always thought this was 'bad' as in "Hey babe, come here often?" kinda bad.

Edit:

And yes, :) & B) both look like rolleyes to me, too... needs animation!

Edited by New England n00b
In conclusion I'd say if  :back: was : rolleyes : then :) could be : smile : and then B) could be : grin : which gives us the possibility to rename  :cute: to : bad :. That way we all could sleep a bit better. After that we could direct our resources to the conflicts between sadness, madness, puking, choking and tiredness.

I agree with your well crafted conclusion. :) I have to be honest with ya, I've also been troubled by Signal's seemingly hard to read moods, too.

For example, I always thought that B) "shocked" was actually the frog "blowing kisses"!! Looks like a perfect pucker to me (perfect for a frog anyway). Now, that I see the truth, previous posts take on a whole new meaning... :tired:

To derail this topic: I've wondered about the codes of the Signal smileys for a long time. To me, they often look like something else than the code says. Like .....snip....

......In conclusion I'd say if :) was : rolleyes : then B) could be : smile : and then :) could be : grin : which gives us the possibility to rename B) to : bad :. That way we all could sleep a bit better. After that we could direct our resources to the conflicts between sadness, madness, puking, choking and tiredness.

That is hilarious and so well thought out! How long were you at it? And I'd say your English is better than a lot of Americans!

i always thought that this :) one was like you were saying nyah!, and sticking your tongue out at someone.

this one :) looks tired to me. she can't keep her eyes open.

this one B) looks like signal is smiling with her eyes closed. maybe if they took out the middle line it wouldn't look so much like she is smiling.

Edited by uperdooper
i always thought that this B) one was like you were saying nyah!, and sticking your tongue out at someone.

this one :) looks tired to me. he can't keep his eyes open.

this one B) looks like signal is smiling with his eyes closed. maybe if they took out the middle line it wouldn't look so much like he is smiling.

Um...Signal is a SHE, not a HE. :)

i always thought that this  :)  one was like you were saying nyah!, and sticking your tongue out at someone.

this one  B)  looks tired to me.  she can't keep her eyes open.

this one  :)  looks like signal is smiling with her eyes closed.  maybe if they took out the middle line it wouldn't look so much like she is smiling.

Um...Signal is a SHE, not a HE. B)

(smacking forhead with palm and saying "doh",) i forgot.

Edited by uperdooper
That is hilarious and so well thought out!  How long were you at it?

Ever since the new Signal emoticons were introduced in the forums, I've been bugged by the inconsistencies between the icons and their codes. To express my frustration in above post took some of my work day. :) Noob's original post gave me the final kick to write it all down.

And I'd say your English is better than a lot of Americans!

Hehe thanks! That must be because I've been said to live in another world. :)

I don't know the answer either ... I have the same problem with these two emoticons, they both look identical ...

bc42.gif

bob-bell-bozo-clown-color.jpg

That's easy. The top one is our ex-president, and the bottom one is the soon to be ex-president, in his fund raising pose. :)

I don't know the answer either ...  I have the same problem with these two emoticons, they both look identical ...

bc42.gif

bob-bell-bozo-clown-color.jpg

That's easy. The top one is our ex-president, and the bottom one is the soon to be ex-president, in his fund raising pose. ;)

Oh you mean John Kerry? No it's really a recent picture of Monica Lewinsky ... :)

edit - sorry NEN for derailing your thread, I'll be agood boy now.

Edited by clearpath
For example, I always thought that  :blink: "shocked" was actually the frog "blowing kisses"!!  Looks like a perfect pucker to me (perfect for a frog anyway).

Hmm...now I see the resemblance too:

:o <-->bob-bell-bozo-clown-color.jpg

'Kisses', whatever... :D

Edited by Divine
I think they need to add a new Signal emoticon.

c7e047d8-2097-44bb-bce0-4cadde0c5735.jpg

It could be thoughtful Signal, or maybe she looks more confused.  Yeah, confused/puzzled Signal.

McWeb

I was thinking "Powerpuff Signal", but then I figured it out... :blink:

Edited by Seamus