Why leave a card?

Bob&TheGang

Many people like to leave a signature item, rather than another toy. Cards are simple versions of these that say "Yada was here!". The best signature items are uniquely yours. Something that you alone come up with. Moun10Bikes Geocoins are a famous example, and there are others around as well. I remember one which was a mini ammo can about a half inch long with the cachers name on it. I have yet to come up with my own.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

So, then, is it proper ettiquette to leave them in the cache -- and the owner/maintainer of the cache can just take them when the cache is retired/archived? Or is it fine to take an interesting card and/or signature item if you happen to go to the cache?

I was under the impression that they were intended by the original person to be left in the cache to show that they were there -- but maybe I am mistaken on that and they would like people to collect their item?

- John...

Well I recently started leaving cards because I thought a signature item would be a neat thing to leave behind for whomever would be interested. I place mine in a snack baggie if I remember to bring them to keep it dry, otherwise, I place it in the same baggie as the logbook to keep it dry and bleed free.

Cheers!

TL

In my current reqular size cache, I have "I found IT!" cards. With my logo, the cords of the cache and blank for the cacher to fill in the date. They are mean as a take with you item from the cache. Even those that have not logged on the website have taken the cards with them (or at least there are equal numbers missing)

Bob

Ya never know what you'll find at the end of the Rainbow!

If you use a signature card, make sure it has nothing commercial on it. That is the one restriction. No one wants a sales job when doing this. It must only reflect who you are as a geocacher.

I think you can take or leave them as you chose. Most people won't want a simple card, but many people will grab up a Moun10Bike Geocoin or one of the mini ammo cans.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:

Originally posted by John Goggan:

I was under the impression that they were intended by the original person to be left in the cache to show that they were there -- but maybe I am mistaken on that and they would like people to collect their item?

We leave a signature card with a pin. We intend for the pin to be taken and not necessarily traded for either. If the person wants the card and pin, so be it.

You need to accept the fate of your item and not get upset if your intentions are not followed. People make mistakes and some just do what they wish.

Here are some samples of what people do:

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geo-creations/index.html

As far as I know most signature items are considered trade items and some of the more unique ones are highly sought after. I once left my office in a suit and tie to tramp through a bunch of weeds in the rain when I heard that the cache contained a signature item that I had been looking for for several months.

We leave our cache calling card in those caches we find, plus they are good to distribute to fellow cachers at geomeets.

Basically, as someone said, we just use the business card tool in Word and print them out on our printer. The card has one of the geocaching public usage logos (not the geocaching.com logo), our 'team name' and our first names, our email and geocaching website, along with a little tagline. We figure it's a quick, cheap way of letting the hider and other cachers know we've been there. Although I'd still like to come up with a neat sig item that people would actually want to take - no luck with that so far though. icon_rolleyes.gif

Forgot to add that we laminate the cards using the inexpensive package of sheets you can buy at WalMart. Helps avoid them getting soggy or torn.

~ Lesley

I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high,

And don't be afraid of the dark

www.bookcrossing.com Read and Release!

[This message was edited by Under the Stars on July 16, 2003 at 06:22 AM.]

Well I leave my AGD Card with my Stamp, a note and Date and Find number on the back. I would say that I started doing this a few months ago as I didnt have my digital camera with me so I was using cards to keep trace of find count and caches.

While it has bussiness info on it ( my contact info for work ect ) but it is me icon_smile.gif

I have 2 new items that I am working on getting produced. I am just looking for someplace that can do it well and have them come out well. I am going to have a card with my SouthPark image on it with the find info on the back to be filled out as I go and I am getting some stickers made with that same image.

I have seen coins, Chain Mail Balls, Laquered Quotes on wood, Cards, Cork coasters. There are tons of stuff to do. Just find something differnt icon_smile.gif

-Robert

Tired of seeing so much trash in caches so...I've started leaving my own signature item after reading these logs. Maybe others will start leaving better stuff if they find better stuff. My signature items are nice handmade one-of-a-kind beaded bracelets (glass/wood/no cheap plastic pony beads) that have a small are.we.there.yet? charm attached. Charm can be removed as a keepsake and then owner will have a nice bracelet to wear. I've got a photo of them...just slow getting the photos loaded onto the computer.

Been Reading the discusion, and noticed the ink bleeding from the ink jet printer problem. Here is a fast fix. Go down to Wal-mart and buy clear Spray paint around $1.50. After you print your cards let dry 1 minute, don't break them out of the sheet yet. Take out side and spray paint the cards front. Be careful not to focus to much on one location or it will run. the card is now water resistant. If you want you can spray paint the back side to make it almost water proof, but I find it Over kill, and that it kind of goes transparent.

quote:
Originally posted by Under the Stars:

The card has one of the geocaching public usage logos (not the geocaching.com logo), our 'team name' and our first names, our email and geocaching website, along with a little tagline.

Where is the public usage logo?

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty668:

Where is the public usage logo?

Dusty, you can find several versions of the logo here: Public Domain Logo

We chose one of the preexisting ones, although it's my understanding that you are free to make changes. You can see the one we picked (and use on our cards) on our website: Under the Stars

icon_smile.gif ~ Lesley

I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high,

And don't be afraid of the dark

www.bookcrossing.com Read and Release!

I made my logo on a photo editing program. It has my geocache name, e-mail address, a neat picture of an eagle and a spot to write in the date. I print these on return address lables. When I find a cache I just stick one in the log book and write in the date of the find.

Just use your imagination.