Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

i've just been playing with the automation routine and i'm getting really pleased with the combination of batchfile renaming files, synching to the pda and updating gsak - well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I have gsak prompt me with the tip of the day at the moment so I can (still) learn about the futures that I should be using but haven't stumbled across yet. On an batch job I don't really need that displaying. Could a /quiet option be added to gsak to stop it prompting with that?

Not that important though.

Thanks for a great product!! :lol:  What I find amazing is your time spent helping us with questions here.

I have a garmin 60c and upload via a USB cable. Are there any plans for allowing direct uploading from GSAK to the GPSr via USB in the future?

The 60c has its own geocaching page, does anyone know how to load waypoints in the GPSr as geocaches? Is it worth the effort?

Yes, but when it will happen is very much dependant on USB users themselves.

For more information please see my post in the previous GSAK thread here

I have now donated twice to this project and will continue to do so while the GSAK registrations come in, but it is really up to the USB users if you want it to happen.

As for the Geocache icon, you can set that now in GSAK. Both the export to to MapSource and to your GPSr (if you have a serial cable for your 60c) support changing found/not found to the corresponding geocaching "treasure chest" symbol. So for now in your case, just export to MapSource (changing the icons as you would like them) then you can upload via USB to your GPS.

<_< Let me suggest that it is up to you. Users of GPSr's that have USB capabilities will look for software that supports USB. Stick your foot in the water. Make it USB capable and you will find that more users will choose your product. Yours is the best around except for the lack of USB.

i've just been playing with the automation routine and i'm getting really pleased with the combination of batchfile renaming files, synching to the pda and updating gsak - well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I have gsak prompt me with the tip of the day at the moment so I can (still) learn about the futures that I should be using but haven't stumbled across yet. On an batch job I don't really need that displaying. Could a /quiet option be added to gsak to stop it prompting with that?

Not that important though.

Yes, this has been changed in the latest development version of GSAK. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Thanks for a great product!! :blink:  What I find amazing is your time spent helping us with questions here.

I have a garmin 60c and upload via a USB cable. Are there any plans for allowing direct uploading from GSAK to the GPSr via USB in the future?

The 60c has its own geocaching page, does anyone know how to load waypoints in the GPSr as geocaches? Is it worth the effort?

Yes, but when it will happen is very much dependant on USB users themselves.

For more information please see my post in the previous GSAK thread here

I have now donated twice to this project and will continue to do so while the GSAK registrations come in, but it is really up to the USB users if you want it to happen.

As for the Geocache icon, you can set that now in GSAK. Both the export to to MapSource and to your GPSr (if you have a serial cable for your 60c) support changing found/not found to the corresponding geocaching "treasure chest" symbol. So for now in your case, just export to MapSource (changing the icons as you would like them) then you can upload via USB to your GPS.

:lol: Let me suggest that it is up to you. Users of GPSr's that have USB capabilities will look for software that supports USB. Stick your foot in the water. Make it USB capable and you will find that more users will choose your product. Yours is the best around except for the lack of USB.

Thanks for the suggestion. Duly noted.

Yeah what he said, USB! But besides that, a few things I've noticed. when saving to Garmin Mapsource it only lists versions 3,4,5. yet I'm using 6.1. Now something I've noticed and I'm not sure what's causing this, but when I open a file I saved from GSAK in MapSource and I click on start tracking, that the waypoints, cursor and even scale symbol flash at a high rate of speed making it useless to even use tracking if you're looking for waypoints. Any ideas?

Also how do I select multiple waypoint in GSAK, say I want to delete x,y & z caches from the database without doing each one individually.

Thanks,

Yeah what he said, USB! But besides that, a few things I've noticed. when saving to Garmin Mapsource it only lists versions 3,4,5. yet I'm using 6.1. Now something I've noticed and I'm not sure what's causing this, but when I open a file I saved from GSAK in MapSource and I click on start tracking, that the waypoints, cursor and even scale symbol flash at a high rate of speed making it useless to even use tracking if you're looking for waypoints. Any ideas?

Also how do I select multiple waypoint in GSAK, say I want to delete x,y & z caches from the database without doing each one individually.

Thanks,

I have the same version as you and use the "5" setting, works just fine. It should probably read "5+" .

Thanks,

Version 5 MapSource files should import fine into Version 6.

As Garmin are not forthcoming with the specifications for the native version 6 format, it has to be re engineered. I think one of the GPSBabel guys are currently working on this but I do not know the ETA.

As for selection and deletion of multiple records, please see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ here or in the help file.

Deleting is actually easier, because you can just "user flag" the records you want to delete, then select the "All user ticked" option when doing the actual delete (via right mouse click menu option)

Edited by ClydeE

Hi Clyde, great program and I plan on registering in the near future as soon as cache flow is improved a little. I don't mean to sound like a cheapskate but would you consider a family discount on more than one registration. My wife TinyDiny and I have separate Geocaching.com premium accounts and seperate computers. I'm sure that I could sway the boss, yes that's her to register both of us if I could tell her that we would get a discount for 2 if we keep it in the family. :blink:

Hi Clyde, great program and I plan on registering in the near future as soon as cache flow is improved a little. I don't mean to sound like a cheapskate but would you consider a family discount on more than one registration. My wife TinyDiny and I have separate Geocaching.com premium accounts and seperate computers. I'm sure that I could sway the boss, yes that's her to register both of us if I could tell her that we would get a discount for 2 if we keep it in the family. ;)

My many years of experience (or should that be nights in the dog house) tells me that you have to keep the boss happy :lol:

You have private mail :blink:

Hello, Im having trouble getting GASK to work with multiple users on XP... tells me it can't write to the INI file...??? then locks up the whole system... jsut curious if anyone else has had this trouble or knows what setting I have wrong... the puter has one admin the rest of us have limited access...

Thanks for your time..

Aphrael

Hello, Im having trouble getting GASK to work with multiple users on XP... tells me it can't write to the INI file...??? then locks up the whole system... jsut curious if anyone else has had this trouble or knows what setting I have wrong... the puter has one admin the rest of us have limited access...

You can only have one instance of the same GSAK program running at any one time. If you have multiple users on the same pc using GSAK then either:

a ) Exit out of GSAK before swithching to another user.

b ) Install GSAK to another folder for that user and have them use that copy.

Edited by ClydeE

I found a drawback to my paperless caching and am not sure if it's GSAK, GPXSonar, or the way I'm doing things? ;) I'm sure someone on here will point me in the right direction and tell me the error of my ways. B)

I normally export a gpx file from GSAK with extra fields included on the area I'm going to. I then copy the file over to my iPaq so that GPXSonar can open it. Everything worked fine, so I thought. :o I was reading through some online logs and found that there was a cache where someone used the "Add A Waypoint to the Log". The next 3 logs all said they found the cache using the coords that were listed on that log. I checked in GPXSonar and didn't see the coords in the log file.

So, is GSAK not exporting that field, or is GPXSonar not reading/displaying it?

Forgot to mention that GSAK offline database DOES show the coords.

I DO realize that if I see this type of log I can put the corrected coords into GSAK and all will be well, but I don't always have a chance to go through the logs online before I go caching.

Gary

Edited by GLM
YeOleImposter!  If you are out there somewhere and want to lend a hand to a neighbor....

The following two lines of code which I stole from an earlier post of yours does a great job of creating a custom URL link to mapmaker, but it lacks the "marker".  I assume it is your preference not to display the marker.  Is there a way for me to put the marker in?

Thanks,

- Pen

LostOutDoors Topo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat%2C%lon&t=2&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat%2C%lon%2C255%2C0%2C0%2C,14%2C%code-%name*

LostOutDoors Photo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat%2C%lon&t=1&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat%2C%lon%2C255%2C0%2C0%2C,14%2C%code-%name*

Hmmm, ah, my error - when I converted the commas to %2Cs I left one - right before the 14 - if you remove the offending comma it will probably work. (prior to 3.04 the comma was stripped by GSAK so it did not cause a problem)

I have updated my links since 3.04 also allowed putting commas instead of %2Cs in the links so they now look like this:

LostOutDoors Topo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat,%lon&t=2&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat,%lon,255,0,0,14,%code-%name*

LostOutDoors Photo=http://www.lostoutdoors.com/map.php?map=%lat,%lon&t=1&z=1&s=3&id=&mark=%lat,%lon,255,0,0,14,%code-%name*

(the forum may split the lines - so make sure each of the above is all in one line when you paste it into GSAK)

The 255,0,0 is the color of the 'dot'

the 14 is the size of the 'dot'

the s=3 is the size of map

the t=2 or t=1 is the type of map

the z=1 is the zoom (meters per pixel)

Wish I could find a way to make the text of the marker larger.

Wish I could make it default to opening with the dot centered on the screen.

All these settings were found by trial and error. There is probably a help file somewhere that explains what all you can do.

I like the Lost Outdoors maps because I can easily save them as .jpg files and either print them or store them on my palm

FWIW, you can bypass the 'map' page altogether and go straight to the image source (sauron.etree.com). The parameters aren't identical, but they are similiar. One additional parameter is the Q factor for the JPEG file. If you look at the normal map page and the 'printer' friendly page you will that I default to a higher quality image for printing.

When I grab images for PDA, I usually go direct because tweaking the Q factor seems to really impact clarity on the different screens. I also put in a size 0 for the image server, which is much smaller than anything offered on the web page. Even 'big' just took too long on the wireless internet on my PDA ;-)

-jjf

P.S. A fair number of people are grabbing images directly, some in high volume. I don't mind, the site is/has always been completely free, but rather than guessing at usage, drop me a note (jfitzpat@etree.com). A few high density users were making a lot more requests on their sites than they needed to, really cutting into the bandwidth left for everyone else.

Great program. I have been using GSAK and CacheMate and I love them.

In order to help exporting caches to CacheMate categories I use separate GSAK databases. That way when *.pdb files come into Cachemate I can send them to the correct category i.e. Found, Hitlist, N, S, E, W etc.

I can move caches from one category to another in CacheMate very easily; however, how do you move caches from one GSAK database to another. I would like to be able to move a cache from the hitlist dadabase to the found database. I can't find a way to move or copy from one database to another.

The only way I've been able to do this is to:

• Export to GPX the items I want to move
  • Change Databases
  • Open the file I just exported
  • Switch to original database and delete items I wanted moved

Not pretty, but it works. Perhaps in a future version an option to "move/copy to database" will be able to handle this -- I've also wanted an easier way to copy and move items between databases. I would imagine the dialog to be similar to delete -- with options to copy/move only the selected waypoint, all waypoints in the filter, or all user ticked.

workin-4-cache

Great program. I have been using GSAK and CacheMate and I love them.

In order to help exporting caches to CacheMate categories I use separate GSAK databases. That way when *.pdb files come into Cachemate I can send them to the correct category i.e. Found, Hitlist, N, S, E, W etc.

I can move caches from one category to another in CacheMate very easily; however, how do you move caches from one GSAK database to another. I would like to be able to move a cache from the hitlist dadabase to the found database. I can't find a way to move or copy from one database to another.

The method offered by workin-4-cache is the best way to do this at the moment. I will look at adding this feature to my "to do" list.

However, I would question why you put each category in a separate database. Most users of CacheMate just put everything in the one database then use filters to select out records for the categories. As filters can be saved, you only have to set them up once.

I found a drawback to my paperless caching and am not sure if it's GSAK, GPXSonar, or the way I'm doing things? ;) I'm sure someone on here will point me in the right direction and tell me the error of my ways. B)

I normally export a gpx file from GSAK with extra fields included on the area I'm going to. I then copy the file over to my iPaq so that GPXSonar can open it. Everything worked fine, so I thought. :o I was reading through some online logs and found that there was a cache where someone used the "Add A Waypoint to the Log". The next 3 logs all said they found the cache using the coords that were listed on that log. I checked in GPXSonar and didn't see the coords in the log file.

So, is GSAK not exporting that field, or is GPXSonar not reading/displaying it?

Forgot to mention that GSAK offline database DOES show the coords.

I DO realize that if I see this type of log I can put the corrected coords into GSAK and all will be well, but I don't always have a chance to go through the logs online before I go caching.

Gary

WOW B)

Looks like you found a bug in the GPX export routine that would have been there since day 1. I am very surprised no one else has picked this up before now.

This will be fixed 3.05 which should be out soon.

Well, Clyde, I have encountered a problem and it says to notify you! When I attempt to export to cachemate PDB a box says Running CmConvert "Under the hood" connecting... then No response from CmConnect within 90 seconds. Unable to complete conversion. All of this seems odd because I used cachemate yesterday for the first time and the files loaded into my clie perfectly. This all occurred when I attempted to use my new PQ. I updated to 3.04 and then uninstalled and reinstalled it when it still didn't work. Same thing.

Oh, by the way, I will be registering, because I too have a wife that wonders what the hell I am doing in here at this computer all the time.

Thanks in advance!

Well, Clyde, I have encountered a problem and it says to notify you! When I attempt to export to cachemate PDB a box says Running CmConvert "Under the hood" connecting... then No response from CmConnect within 90 seconds. Unable to complete conversion. All of this seems odd because I used cachemate yesterday for the first time and the files loaded into my clie perfectly. This all occurred when I attempted to use my new PQ. I updated to 3.04 and then uninstalled and reinstalled it when it still didn't work. Same thing.

Oh, by the way, I will be registering, because I too have a wife that wonders what the hell I am doing in here at this computer all the time.

Thanks in advance!

What operating system are you running - let me guess windows 98 or ME?

What operating system are you running - let me guess windows 98 or ME?

Me--how'd you guess?

I have had a couple ME users that have similar problems. I have a development version of GSAK that has a debug mode to try and track down what the problem is. With your assistance, hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

You have private mail.

:( I'm not sure whether this is a GSAK or Magellan problem, but here goes. I have a Magellan SprotTrak Topo and when I try to download 500 waypints from my registered copy of GSAG to the gps, all 500 waypoints codes are accepted by the Sportrak, but most of the descriptions are missing. If I reduce the number of waypoints to 200, then all the codes plus descriptions are there. My memory usage at 200 points is 61% free. But much above that even though 'free memory' still show available, I lost most of the discriptions.

Any ideas?

:(  I'm not sure whether this is a GSAK or Magellan problem, but here goes.  I have a Magellan SprotTrak Topo and when I try to download 500 waypints from my registered copy of GSAG to the gps, all 500 waypoints codes are accepted by the Sportrak, but most of the descriptions are missing.  If I  reduce the number of waypoints to 200, then all the codes plus descriptions are there.  My memory usage at 200 points is 61% free.  But much above that even though 'free memory' still show available, I lost most of the discriptions.

Any ideas?

Yes, this is a known issue with some of the Magellan Models (It is in the manual, but in a rather obscure place I'm told) :D

Please read item 9 of the GSAK FAQ here

Edited by ClydeE
Yes, this is a known issue with some of the Magellan Models (It is in the manual, but in a rather obscure place I'm told)  :(

:D Clyde, you're ahead of me again! :mad: 'Just did a quick search of my manual, and just as you predicted, on page 14, "As many as 200 waypoints can have a message assinged to it.....the Startrak will store up to 500 user waypoints in memory."

Not really too big a deal. By the time I had found those 200, I'd be way overdue for a new PQ etc.

Thanks again :D:mad::(

How about a way to export a database? I'd like this because I use my home PC for everything, but when I go caching I take my laptop and would love to be able to send the database to the laptop.

Team Demp is correct. A GSAK database is just a folder with the same name as the database. This folder is created in the "data" folder of the installation folder of GSAK.

To replicate a database on another computer, just zip up that folder and unzip in the same folder on the target computer.

If you also want to replicate all your settings and filters then you need to copy the files GSAK.ini, Icons.cds, and Filter.* (all files that begin with the name filter) over to the installation folder of your target computer.

However, I will look at adding this feature to make the whole process more transparent or user friendly. This feature would also be good for taking backups (we all do backups don't we <_< )

However, I will look at adding this feature to make the whole process more transparent or user friendly. This feature would also be good for taking backups (we all do backups don't we  <_< )

Yeah, we backup our GSAK database to the same computer and the same drive the original is on :D

(we all do backups don't we  :huh: )

What was the question? :mad:

Actually the answer to that one is that I personally only backup my data when I don't need to. Then when I really need a backup copy of something, I find out that I forgot to do it. :D

Gary

Clyde,

I can't remember whether this has been brought up or not? Old age!

How about adding to the "wish list" something to indicate on the main listing that a cache "has" corrected coords entered. And maybe something to indicate that a record is marked for NOT getting updates done on it.

The second wish would sure help me when I'm trying to figure out which records I marked for not getting updates! Once again, I'll blame it on old age. :mad:

Gary

Clyde,

I can't remember whether this has been brought up or not? Old age!

How about adding to the "wish list" something to indicate on the main listing that a cache "has" corrected coords entered. And maybe something to indicate that a record is marked for NOT getting updates done on it.

The second wish would sure help me when I'm trying to figure out which records I marked for not getting updates! Once again, I'll blame it on old age. :mad:

Gary

Might be old age, but none the less sounds like a good idea :huh:

Corrected coordinates are notified in red in the split screen view, but you are correct in stating that there is nothing to indicate in grid view (nor for "locked" records)

I guess my question now, is how best to indicate this. I am thinking for corrected coordinates we could highlight the coordinates in a different colour (red maybe?).

But what would be the consensus on how best to indicate a "locked" waypoint?

Thinking this through, I think I may have the answer - but I don't want to be presumptuous enough to speak for everyone.

How about...

Another column that the user can choose to display or not (and hence you can position anywhere). I am thinking of a very small width column like the travel bug, but with a "padlock" icon. Obviously those records that are locked would have the "padlock" icon, and those not locked would be blank.

I was wondering what Clyde and other folks thought about the coloring of the cache waypoint code to identify found and archived caches.

By default (I think), found caches have a yellow background in the code cell and archived caches have a pink background in the code cell.

My question is which color wins when you have a found cache that is archived. Currently, archived wins and a shows the cache as pink. My personal preference would be to have Found be the dominant color and show the code as yellow. For caches I haven't found, obviously seeing it in pink, as it is today, is preferable.

Am I the only one that thinks Found (yellow) should override Archived (pink)? I'd rather see more yellow then pink when I'm looking through the grid.

David

Another column that the user can choose to display or not (and hence you can position anywhere). I am thinking of a very small width column like the travel bug, but with a "padlock" icon. Obviously those records that are locked would have the "padlock" icon, and those not locked would be blank.

I was going to suggest this very idea! I like it! (I'm glad to see your telepathic powers still work across time and oceans -- and with at least two people now!) :mad:

I guess my question now, is how best to indicate this. I am thinking for corrected coordinates we could highlight the coordinates in a different colour (red maybe?).

Actually, what would be very useful to me is to have some way of indicating the that the coordinate are corrected when I'm looking at the waypoint on my GPS. Mucking with the %typ1 if the coordinates would work okay (but unless you came up with a different letter to use for each type if the coords are corrected, then you are losing the type info). You could also change the icon, but then there are the compatibility issues with the icon names.

I definitely am leaning more towards somehow indicating it in the waypoint name, since it would be information that is available when you are on the "nearest list" on the gps.

--Marky

Am I the only one that thinks Found (yellow) should override Archived (pink)? I'd rather see more yellow then pink when I'm looking through the grid.

I know at least one other user that would prefer that found status override archive status.

I wonder if this could be done as a user-configurable option.... or more properly, how difficult would it be to implement this as a user-configruable option? And if it was configurable, how would that impact usability?

I tend to like the ability to configure -- I even edited the garmin.txt file so that only the icons I have on my eTrex show as choices for icons when exporting to the GPS. It probably didn't save me any time. If I get a new GPS, I'm going to have to completely reassign my icons (which I probably would do anyway). But I like the ability to customize my list, so I did! :mad:

But I understand that the more configurable a program is, the more difficult it is to use and support, at least until it is set up the way the user wants it!

Just my random thoughts on the subject!

workin-4-cache

:huh:  I'm not sure whether this is a GSAK or Magellan problem, but here goes.  I have a Magellan SprotTrak Topo and when I try to download 500 waypints from my registered copy of GSAG to the gps, all 500 waypoints codes are accepted by the Sportrak, but most of the descriptions are missing.  If I  reduce the number of waypoints to 200, then all the codes plus descriptions are there.  My memory usage at 200 points is 61% free.  But much above that even though 'free memory' still show available, I lost most of the discriptions.

Any ideas?

Yes, this is a known issue with some of the Magellan Models (It is in the manual, but in a rather obscure place I'm told) :mad:

Please read item 9 of the GSAK FAQ here

I've now had to limit my downloads to 175 waypoints because MapSend DirectRoute uses the comment field for the street names on the temporary waypoints it creates for a DirectRoute. If you don't have enough free comment spaces, DirectRoute will still route you, but you will get usless instructions. Instead of "

Washington Ave" you would get "

WPT007" (where

is the graphic icon for a right turn). Without the street names, I made too many wrong turns because the GPS was lagging and wouldn't catch up until after I turned.

Anyway, sorry for this offtopic rant. I wish Magellan would fix this "feature".

To bring it back on topic, I've become very good at using the arc and polygon filters feature for reduing the number of waypoints I need to download. I just create a set of waypoints in MapSend that bound the area I'm planning on caching in, and then save the waypoints to a file. Then I use gpsbabel to convert it to a .loc file (I can't seem to get the arc/polygon filter dialog to directly import a mapsend .wpt file, although it should be doable with gpsbabel under the covers). Once I have the .loc file, I use the "load from file" button to bring them in. I have lots of saved filters of the common areas I go caching around the Bay Area. I use the Arc filter for when I'm traveling longer distances from home and want to break up the drive with a few caches along the way.

--Marky

Actually, what would be very useful to me is to have some way of indicating the that the coordinate are corrected when I'm looking at the waypoint on my GPS. Mucking with the %typ1 if the coordinates would work okay (but unless you came up with a different letter to use for each type if the coords are corrected, then you are losing the type info). You could also change the icon, but then there are the compatibility issues with the icon names.

I definitely am leaning more towards somehow indicating it in the waypoint name, since it would be information that is available when you are on the "nearest list" on the gps.

--Marky

A new tag, say %correct, should fix this. Defaults would be Y=Corrected, N=Not corrected. I would also make this tag behave like the %found tag so you can then define your own values if the defaults are unsuitable.

For viewing in GSAK, I like the idea of allowing a user-configurable colour highlight.

[edited since Clyde posted a very similar, but more complete, idea at the same time I was typing mine!]

Edited by workin-4-cache

I know at least one other user that would prefer that found status override archive status.

I wonder if this could be done as a user-configurable option.... or more properly, how difficult would it be to implement this as a user-configruable option? And if it was configurable, how would that impact usability?

I tend to like the ability to configure -- I even edited the garmin.txt file so that only the icons I have on my eTrex show as choices for icons when exporting to the GPS. It probably didn't save me any time. If I get a new GPS, I'm going to have to completely reassign my icons (which I probably would do anyway). But I like the ability to customize my list, so I did! :huh:

But I understand that the more configurable a program is, the more difficult it is to use and support, at least until it is set up the way the user wants it!

Just my random thoughts on the subject!

workin-4-cache

I wonder if this could be done as a user-configurable option.... or more properly, how difficult would it be to implement this as a user-configruable option?  And if it was configurable, how would that impact usability?

The user base of GSAK is quite large now, so making changes to defaults has to be looked at very carefully. The solution here is to add this as a user configurable option, leaving the current behaviour as the default.

Very perceptive. GSAK is growing in all sorts of ways (hopefully for the better!). It gets down to a trade off between power and ease of use. I guess the challenge for me is to keep adding the power, but in a way that is simple for the user - a paradox of sorts.

I do see a lot more options being added to the options dialog. I think this is just a fact of life that different people want different things. Hopefully I can make the defaults suit the majority, so only the minority need to delve deep into the depths of all the options, and heaven forbid - the help file :mad:

I've now had to limit my downloads to 175 waypoints because MapSend DirectRoute uses the comment field for the street names on the temporary waypoints it creates for a DirectRoute.  If you don't have enough free comment spaces, DirectRoute will still route you, but you will get usless instructions.

What I really wish is that Magellan would just remove the stupid limit which appears solely to be a throwback to ancient models. Of course, then you run into the limit at 500 instead of 200.

At one point I coded a patch to GPSBabel to limit the number of comments sent in one session. The problem with that approach is if you upload two sets of one hundred, you're still hosed. (Personally, I solve this by merging before uploading so it's all in one single shot, sorted by radius so the ones that are closest to my travels are the ones least likely lose the comments.)

More than once I've found myself travelling and then doing a waypoint->find by nearest->scroll off the top so I'm at the end->deleting the last ten or so waypoints just so DR works sensibly.

Clyde, I can put that in the official GPSBabel builds if it helps you.

To bring it back on topic, I've become very good at using the arc and polygon filters feature for reduing the number of waypoints I need to download.  I just create a set of waypoints in MapSend that bound the area I'm planning on caching in, and then save the waypoints to a file.  Then I use gpsbabel to convert it to a .loc file (I can't seem to get the arc/polygon filter dialog to directly import a mapsend .wpt file, although it should be doable with gpsbabel under the covers). 

You kind of have to "double step" it whether it's Mapsend or GEO, but that should be the same with either. If you can show me the problem at the GPSBabel level, I'll fix it.

[ edit: fixed quoting ]

Edited by robertlipe
A new tag, say %correct, should fix this. Defaults would be Y=Corrected, N=Not corrected.

How about Y=Corrected, and nothing = Not Corrected? That way the whole string will look different if there is a correction. I tend to get used to the same length of characters, and if there was something different it would stand out.

P.S. A fair number of people are grabbing images directly, some in high volume. I don't mind, the site is/has always been completely free, but rather than guessing at usage, drop me a note (jfitzpat@etree.com). A few high density users were making a lot more requests on their sites than they needed to, really cutting into the bandwidth left for everyone else.

Just got back from the cache Portland Cache Machine ... so have some message catch up to do.

I want to appologize if I was one who hit your bandwidth on Thursday or Friday. I was experimenting and should probably have done it with a smaller file. I did use the direct link saurontree... Again, sorry if it was me. :mad:

Clyde,

I can't remember whether this has been brought up or not?  Old age!

How about adding to the "wish list" something to indicate on the main listing that a cache "has" corrected coords entered.  And maybe something to indicate that a record is marked for NOT getting updates done on it.

The second wish would sure help me when I'm trying to figure out which records I marked for not getting updates!  Once again, I'll blame it on old age. :huh:

Gary

Wow - two old guys named Gary always asking Clyde for more features.

Is it the name or the old age?? :mad:

YeOleImposter

aka Gary

Edited by YeOleImposter

Thinking this through, I think I may have the answer - but I don't want to be presumptuous enough to speak for everyone.

How about...

I like the idea! Could do something similar for the corrected coordinates - would make it easy to sort them to the top for editing, review, etc.

A new tag, say %correct, should fix this. Defaults would be Y=Corrected, N=Not corrected.

How about Y=Corrected, and nothing = Not Corrected? That way the whole string will look different if there is a correction. I tend to get used to the same length of characters, and if there was something different it would stand out.

The %correct is a good solution. My problem is that I am flat out of extra characters in my waypoints. Here is my waypoint string, which generates 8 characters (the max for my Magellan Sportrack):

%drop2%typ1%dif1%ter1%con1

This way, in my nearest list, or when looking on a MapSend printout, I can tell the GC waypoint number, the type of cache, the difficulty, the terrain and the containter size. Using just this info, I will try to find the cache. After about 10 minutes of searching, I'll pull up the cache page. After another 10 or so, I'll look at the hint.

Anyway, that was why I was suggesting a morph of the %typ1, because a "solved puzzle" is slightly different from an "unsolved puzzle". A solved puzzle is more like a traditional cache. And it wouldn't take up more space in my already crammed waypoint name. :huh: Anyway, just my thoughts. :mad:

--Marky

That is why I suggested this new tag would also support the form %correct=xx (same as %found). You can thne configure it to what ever you want. For your situation you would then use %correct=Y (another words if you just use %correct by itself it has the same result as %correct=YN). Another way to may it stand out would be to using something like %correct=! or some other symbol.

Anyway, that was why I was suggesting a morph of the %typ1, because a "solved puzzle" is slightly different from an "unsolved puzzle". A solved puzzle is more like a traditional cache. And it wouldn't take up more space in my already crammed waypoint name.  Anyway, just my thoughts. 

Unfortunately you are now starting to get into the "esoteric" type request here - which I really want to stay away from. The mere term morph brings to mind all sorts of permutations and complications. This one I will have to say no to and stick with the more simplistic %correct as stated before.

another hopefully easy to fix bug is in (uK) postcodes. if you don't enter them in upper case it complains about postcode not being in the database.

Can we also have the ability to enter postcodes into the boxes, similar to code search, name search etc. That would give a quick, one-click filter option.

This is a repeat post of yours. It has already been answered here