When City Select V6 Is Comming Out ?

vr12

I got 3 emails from Garmin saying they had shipped v6 and two of them included the unlock code! I had emailed them a few weeks ago to tell them that I had bought v5 the day before they released v6. I got a reply back stating that since that was so close they would send me a free unlock code. I was to order the CD and then email them for the code. As you can see, I didn't have to ask for it. As far as I'm concerned, Garmin is a great company. The only problem is that I have yet to receive the CD.

Yeah, I bought v5 on 6/20/04 and have emailed them as well looking for the free upgrade.

I hope to get it back shortly b/c my cd's should be here anyday.

Centex, I see you're in Texas...has your upgrade arrived yet? I'm in Houston...

thanks!

I ordered (from gpscity.com) my 76CS w/City Select V5 on June 13. My order arrived on June 17 (The day I unlocked V5). Yesterday, I received the V6 update CD from Garmin. I was prepared to pay the $75.00 to upgrade; however, when I unlocked the CD I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the upgrade was free.

Edited by gpsindy

Centex, I see you're in Texas...has your upgrade arrived yet? I'm in Houston...

Yeah, I found it in the mailbox today. I'm running out of HD space on my PC, so I could only install Area 2 (I think) with Texas in it. I looked at a few newer neighborhoods (3-4 years old), out of 3 I checked, only one was there. Still needs a lot of updating of new roads.

I'm near Austin.

I got my CD yesturday (7-14-04), but have not decieded yet if I want to shell out the $75 for an update. I basically ordered it so I would have it incase I have to travel to larger cities and I needed the newest maps.

I just unlocked the v6 update last night and am glad I did. I only looked at two small roads that had been very inaccurate in v5, but in v6 they are so much better. For example in the neighborhood where I live the map showed my house location as about 600 feet away from the actual location. This kind of inaccuracy makes the auto navigation confused because it thinks I'm driving on a street that is a block away.

Another location was a private road almost in the middle of no where. V5 was not even close, v6 was right on. The track log I recorded landed right on the road in v6. I included some screen shots below.

With these two corrections to roads that I would consider insignificant, it makes me wonder if there was some other overall correction that made everything more accurate?

cs5.gif

cs6.gif

I got Garmin to give me a discount on the upgrade price (less than $75) because I unlocked v5 a couple of weeks before v6 was annouced. I've been getting great customer service from Garmin. They do go out of their way to make the customer happy.

I'm still waiting for my update CD. Did anybody in Canada get it yet?

Centex, I see you're in Texas...has your upgrade arrived yet?  I'm in Houston...

Yeah, I found it in the mailbox today. I'm running out of HD space on my PC, so I could only install Area 2 (I think) with Texas in it. I looked at a few newer neighborhoods (3-4 years old), out of 3 I checked, only one was there. Still needs a lot of updating of new roads.

I'm near Austin.

Hmm...that's no good about the roads. My house is 6years old and v5 doesn't show my road...I hope, if nothing else, that part is added.

I need to run out and check the mailbox again.

Thanks Centex

Got word back from the guy at Garmin who's been helping me with the upgrade...according to him the v6 update is being remastered and says I may have it by Aug 1st.

I can deal no problem, just thankful that their customer support group is nice enough to keep consumers updated!

Edited by jj3
Got word back from the guy at Garmin who's been helping me with the upgrade...according to him the v6 update is being remastered and says I may have it by Aug 1st.

Does that mean they are just pressing more or is something changing from what I have in the CD I received in the mail?

I can deal no problem, just thankful that their customer support group is nice enough to keep consumers updated!

That's funny, if true, because many of us have already installed v6.

Does that mean they are just pressing more or is something changing from what I have in the CD I received in the mail?

I didn't bother to ask...let me look at the email again to see if there is anything more specific...ok, just re-read it and just as I had it before. Simply says it's being remastered...

Don't know what to say and I don't feel like pressing the issue. I can only assume that there was something in the original run that they didn't care for (if in fact it is a remaster and not just a backorder)...I wouldn't think that they would add more content/make changes to an already-released product...

I'll post more if I hear more.

Edited by jj3

OK, I got my update CD and am trying to install it. (I"m updating from v4 city select to version 6) I have gone through the motions of installation and the last step is to either

1) put in an 8 digit code for unlocking the maps.

2) Add a second unit

3) unlock more maps.

I dont want to add a second unit, I dont have an 8 digit unlock code but I do want to unlock more maps

when I choosed this option it tells me that I dont have any products to unlock (I assume its because I've already unlocked all regions for my GPSV when I instaled verions 4 CS).

So what do to now..I dont want to make the same mistake the other guy did and unlock the same unit twice and use it up so when I buy my 76CS I'll have to buy verions 6 maps again....What do I do now, besides call Garmin??????