When City Select V6 Is Comming Out ?

vr12

On a related question, if I used one unlock already can I use the second one for the new version?

Unlocks are matching units with software. For the MapSource products that require unlock codes, as City Select does, you can use the software with 2 units.

When v6 is released, an upgrade (depending on when you bought v5) will be $75 or there will be no charge.

What I'm not sure, and maybe someone else that does know can chime in, when you get an upgrade, can you unlock it on 2 units that might be different then v5 was unlocked for?

On a related

When v6 is released, an upgrade (depending on when you bought v5) will be $75 or there will be no charge.

Depending on when you unlocked V5.

Basically if you try to unlock it after V6 is out it will offer you an udate CD

for free, after you recieve them you can use original cupon (which was not useed yet) to unlock new version.

Edited by vr12
I do believe Garmin already has the 6.0 version available on their site.  Click on "Software Udates" on the left side of the page.  Go to garmin.com to get it.

No. they don't have North America City Select v6 yet

Edited by vr12
I do believe Garmin already has the 6.0 version available on their site. Click on "Software Udates" on the left side of the page. Go to garmin.com to get it.

As the previous poster noted, City Select v6 isn't out yet. What you're likely referring to is MapSource v6 which is out. MapSource is the program and City Select is the data. MapSource updates have been provided (so far) free of charge, while the data updates require you to purchase them.

You can update your MapSource to v6 and your City Select v5 data will work fine with it.

City Select NA v6 and City Navigator NA v6 both announced today with expected delivery of mid-July. Updates are $75US for CS and $150US for CN.

Updated coverage of existing areas and now complete coverage for all of Canada and Puerto Rico.

City Select NA v6 and City Navigator NA v6 both announced today with expected delivery of mid-July.  Updates are $75US for CS and $150US for CN.

Updated coverage of existing areas and now complete coverage for all of Canada and Puerto Rico.

I just checked, it is out !

Well, I guess I will wait 3 weeks for a free update :)

Edited by vr12
Thanks vr12! Had them ship me the CD (when it ships in mid July) so I can unlock it when I want.

It seems that there is no need to wait for July 15.

I can unlock V5 now and still get free unlock key for V6 when it arrives.

Just noticed that my original post date is June 14, and release date for V6 is June 15 :)

Edited by vr12

Just so I understand. I unlocked ver 5.04 in March of 2004. So, to unlock ver 6 I'll need to pay the full $75, right?

I guess, even it that is so, it should be worth it, PROVIDED things have gotten substantially updated. Many of the food and hotel POIs are wrong. And some "recent' highways (in W VA for example) are not in version 5.

Just so I understand. I unlocked ver 5.04 in March of 2004. So, to unlock ver 6 I'll need to pay the full $75, right?

I guess, even it that is so, it should be worth it, PROVIDED things have gotten substantially updated. Many of the food and hotel POIs are wrong. And some "recent' highways (in W VA for example) are not in version 5.

Right, but I don't think that V6 will be much better then V5

V5 was released a year ago.

Hmm, you know, I was joking when I just said earlier in this thread that it was due because I just unlocked it. Now I have to wonder whether I'll be in the group that gets the free update or not. Pretty sure I did the unlock after the 15th. Anyone know if you have to ask them for the free update, or is it just automatically mailed?

Getting the CD is free and you can enter your mailing info so it is shipped when it is released.

What you pay for, if you have to pay for anything, is when you go to unlock it, not the physical CD media itself. So go ahead and order the CD regardless, and then worry about unlocking it later.

See the Garmin FAQ page for unlock about what they currently state - http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/faq.asp

On that page they show the following:

If you are unlocking a new product after the release date of the update, you are entitled to the unlock code at no charge. In other words, you can update to the latest data for free!

I'm not sure if there will be dates associated to City Select or not, so you'll have to see once it's available to unlock, but request the CD now.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I shelled out the 75 for V5 when I had V4.  I've not seen a difference to be honest. 

Although I realize people want the latest (myself included), I'm not upgrading to V6 anytime soon.  Will wait for V7.

I agree,

I waited with unlocking V5 because I thought release of V6 is very close,

Now I will skip V7 to upgrade to V8.

Edited by vr12
I wished I would've known that the updare was coming this soon. I unlocked my V5 just a month ago. <_<

I unlocked my City Select V5 just before the release of V6. I emailed Garmin tech support and explained my situation. The tech rep told me to order the new cd and to let him know when I get the cd and he would upgrade for free. Pretyy nice of Garmin. :lol:

Edited by Keykeeper
I unlocked my City Select V5 just before the release of V6. I emailed Garmin tech support and explained my situation. The tech rep told me to order the new cd and to let him know when I get the cd and he would upgrade for free. Pretyy nice of Garmin.

What date did you unlock V5?

I see City Select Version 6 for Europe, but not North America.

I see only Version 5 for North America

Perhaps it's those rose-colored-glasses? (just kidding :blink: )

v6 CS is there, just have to look....

I see Mapsource version 6, but i do not see North America CS Vers. 6 at this link at all.

Another Link to Garmin Mapping

Where is the link to NA CS 6?

----------------Edited in-----------------

Funny that i find a link to NA CS 6 at this site here, but not on Garmin's site, very strange

Edited by GOT GPS?
From the link in the last post above, the expected ship date of the NA CS 6 is 07/15/2004

Yup and up about a dozen posts or so you'll see ...

City Select NA v6 and City Navigator NA v6 both announced today with expected delivery of mid-July.

So order the CD (no charge) and when they produce them, you'll get one mailed (no charge). The only charge is if you decide to unlock it and you aren't entitled to a free upgrade.

I just ordered the update CD. It's not a free upgrade but I got them to give me a discount of the $75 upgrade price because I unlocked v5 recently before the announcement of v6.

I hear v6 has more coverage in Canada. Hopefully it covers the rural areas that MetroGuide Canada v4 (MGC4) covers. Currently City Select North America v5's (CSv5) urban coverage in Canada is superior to MGC4. There are many new subdivisions in my town that are mapped in CSv5 but not in MGC4. If they just add the missing rural coverage, I wouldn't even need MGC at all.

I can't wait for them to update map viewer info to include CSv6.

Hmm.. I wonder when the next MetroGuide Canada is due to be released.

I asked Garmin (last Thursday in an E-Mail), if I ordered City Select North America which version would I get. They responded, 'V6'. I ordered it tht evening and Friday they said it was in a UPS place somewhere between there and here in Northern California. I will post here when I get it and if I got V6 or V5 with a free pass to update via download to V6.

Update.

i just visited Garmin's website and the Cartography section had updated for the city Select V6. You can look at the map viewer and see the updates. In my area, it looks as if they have added some rural roads, which is good!

Must have just happened. I looked this morning and it was still V5. Time to check some errors I had previously notified them of to see if they got addressed.

Edit: Here's a quick link to the City Select v6 page with the mapviewer option towards the top right.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselect.jsp

Edited by Team DEMP

Wow, all of Canada is now covered. I also checked the parts that were previously "coverred" but was missing many of the smaller roads. It now has all the missing small roads, so it's equivalent to Metro Guide Canada v4... well at least for roads. It obviosuly doesn't have all the POI.

Big improvement. I think it'll be worth the upgrade.