Mapsource Cd

I have a similar question, will the map source CD give my GPS (Legend) the abiltity to do trip planning as in road mileage between addresses and what routes to follow etc It does great for just Geocaching, but was wanting to use on vacation and weekend trips as well

thanks

Edited by Blufwatch

i have a legend and metroguide v5 with autorouting. For just geocaching is kind of overkill, but i use my gps for many other things.

to answer the similar question, metroguide will autoroute and give an approx. eta with distance, but will only autoroute on your PC, the legend will not autoroute by its self

Well, there are several different Mapsource products available for the Legend. Any of them will give you much more detailed maps for your GPS than the built-in basemap. Topo will give you topographic maps, and Metroguide will give you street maps. The Mapsource program also lets you manage your waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. on your computer.

Mapsource Metroguide will create turn by turn routes on your PC, which you can then download to your Legend. (since the Legend does not autoroute, the routing must be done on your PC before you leave for your trip.)

I personally use MapSource Roads and Recreation (which isn't available anymore). I found a copy on Ebay for about half of the new price. I have found it very useful when "in the field" since the built in basemap lacks detail.

You can view what the maps look like at using the Garmin MapSourse Map Viewer.

No - You don't need any Mapsource CD for what you've described.

However, with even the cheapest Mapsource program such as Trip and Waypoint manager, Points of Interest, etc. you will be able to see where you've been, plan routes on where you're going...It will open a whole new world to you.

I would suggest trying Metroguide as a good first Mapsource CD for the Legend. You can get Metroguide USA v5 for around $75 on ebay. If you don't find it useful Remove it from your computer and sell the CD. You'll only loose about $10-15 but I'll guess that you'll keep it.

I have a Legend and the Mapsource Topo. I love it. I started caching and now I found I use it for all kinds of things. I even hook it up to my laptop in my jeep. Ive even made a couple of maps for hiking and mountainbiking that I have been able to share with friends. It works great but it does not have the auto routing feature. You can build your own route though and it is pretty close on mileage.