Pictures on details page

I urge cache hiders to avoid posting pictures with the text on their cache details page. I--and I suspect most Geocachers--print the details page for each cache before going out to search for it. Pictures use a lot of expensive ink icon_razz.gif. I could select areas to print above and below photos, but that is awkward and results in breaking up the page... Uploading photos is a better way to provide pictures for your cache. One can print photo attachments as desired. icon_cool.gif Is there some way to get this message out?

Kaneloa ("Tall Man")

If you're concerned about ink there are a couple of things you can do.

• Use the printer-friendly version to delete the Geocaching background
  • Change your printer settings to B&W if you have color
  • Have your print driver print "two pages per sheet" - that will reduce the image size by 50%
  • Buy a palm. I know that my ink cartridges cost roughly $60 to replace a whole set (3 colors separately at $10 each and a BW costs $30). Four times through the ink cartridges would pay for a palm. Then you could save all the paper and ink and just get the pocket query result.
I'm sorry if I sound overly negative, but adding pictures to the cache details pages increases enjoyment for me and promotes individuality and creativity in the pages. As long as the image isn't larger than most browsers would allow, I see no harm in them.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

If you're concerned about ink there are a couple of things you can do.

Something else you can do: Use Mozilla, instead of MS Interjunk Exploder. Don't want an image to show up? Just right click on it, and select Block Images From This Server. I block ALL the map displays (except the Travel Bugs journey maps), since I use my own mapping software. Pages load and print much faster.

Other cool things: Going after 6 caches today? You can bring up each cache page in a separate TAB in the browser. Then you can save the entire group of tabs as a single link. When you're ready to log your finds, click on one link and all 6 pages will load, each in a separate tab.

http://www.mozilla.org

3608_1400.gif

My low-budget remedy.....

I always highlight and copy the text info I want from the cache page and paste it into Microsoft Word, and print from there. I imagine this would take forever for continuous-action-cachers, but it works for me as I only do it sporadically.

Also, I save the Word documents and can go back and make notes about the caches/benchmarks I've visited - my little backup system.

Even when I've gotten there I don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

If you're concerned about ink there are a couple of things you can do.+ Use the printer-friendly version to delete the Geocaching background+

Even in the printer friendly version the pictures in the body of the cache page are printed.

The background was not the topic of this thread.

lodging3.jpggeol1.jpg

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Try what some benchmark hunters do, make a 'pencil rubbing'. You may have to check the Braille option in order to do this(requires 3D monitor), but it does save ink. An even more environmentally safe method is memorization. This is alot easier when you have a partner to practice with. Remember, it's little things like this that will help save the soy beans.

Also if you are unfortunately using MS IE you can make pictures not appear by going to tools, then internet options, then advanced. Go to the multimedia section of the advanced and unclick show pictures. Then if there is a picture you want to show (such as a map) you can right click on the picture placement (typically the wonderful red X) and select show picture. Ok so this is way too difficult but it should at least help icon_smile.gif

Thanks/mahalo to all but Cholo (the sarcastic one) for their input on my expression of concern about excessive printer ink usage for pictures in the text of Geocache details sheet. I think that I can figure something out by referring to your helpful suggestions... By the way, I like to look at the pictures as displayed--just don't want to print them. FE/Kaneloa

Kaneloa ("Tall Man")