Knee Pain - Anyone Else?

Team DEMP

Over the past 3 weeks, after hiking, my right knee has been killing me. It's really even during hiking too now. I don't recall twisting it so I don't think it's something I did specifically to the one knee. It's really painful and I had to stop a few times late yesterday since the pain was just unbearable.

I've noticed that it is MUCH worse when going down hill and almost immediately goes away or lessens substantially when the trail is flat or I'm hiking uphill.

So I did some searching and found a bunch of articles like:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/fitness...t/exp040401.htm

which seems to indicate it is a common problem and possibly putting in insole supports could help.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have you tried insoles such as SuperFeet? They are available locally so it shouldn't be an issue getting them but for $28 I'd like to know I'm not throwing away some cash.

Thanks!

David

I have Superfeet insoles and they work well for making your boot fit better, but I think you'd need a custom orthotic if your knee problem stems from your foot alignment.

More likely its just the wear and tear of old age. I get it sometimes and I agree that downhill sections are the worst. Its' most likely some sort of inflammation, that a few days of Advil can address.

I've found that trekking poles help reduce stress on the knees.

All good input. Trekking poles are on my Father's Day wish list. I just found it odd that searching for this exact problem turned up multiple references to insoles. I'll see how the poles work.

These are the same boots I've used all year and the end of last year too. My knee just started bothering me a couple weeks ago. I'll look to see if they are worn funny on the bottom.

Old age ... thanks :D Maybe I need to do more virtuals/locationless :D

Any other input or suggestions on this is appreciated.

Right after I sarted caching I broke my leg(non cache related) Now have a steel plate and screws in my leg. I started to using a pole and It does helped with knee pain.(other accident) It is also great for speeding up little kids. Pokeing under rocks ,Snake wacking. But I was told by a real hiker I should use two. (real meaning they don't looking for silly boxes with thier kids and dog)

I've got bad knees. I've had 3 surgeries on my right knee ACL/cartilage. The down hills are rough on the knees for sure. I think though I usually end up tweeking a knee on the sideways picking through rocks kind of thing, turning foot to follow the rock path... the rotation gets me.

I was amazed to find my knees hurting something fierce after my 8 mile Hudson Highland hike. It was exactly the same way... going downhill was quite painful.

The pain was right under the kneecap and hurt mostly going downhill.

I read somewhere about a non-arthritic knee condition that presents as knee pain especially when going downhill or downstairs... I'll have to research it and post again..

My pain completely subsided about a day later and my knees feel perfectly fine now... Hmmm..

I read somewhere about a non-arthritic knee condition that presents as knee pain especially when going downhill or downstairs...

Sounds like Chondromalacia Patella, or more commonly known as “Runner's Knee.” Fortunatley, it can often be easily treated with ice and rest, stretching and strengthening exercises for the major leg muscles, and anti-inflammatory drugs. I practically live on “vitamin I” (Iburprofen) when I'm very active in the outdoors. Cycling (mountain biking) helps me the most, and my knees seldom bother me on very long rides.

I used to be an avid runner, averaging 30-35 miles per week, and about 15 years ago I had arthroscopic surgery for torn cartilage in both knees. Not long after that I started to develop osteoarthritis. Running is definitely out of the question for me now, and hikes longer than 3 or 4 miles, especially if they are rocky or involve a lot of downhill sections, bring on considerable knee pain.

Trekking poles have made a significant difference on my hikes. They help relieve the discomfort by reducing the stress on my knees, as well as extending my endurance for longer hikes. However, you must learn to use them properly, including the correct use of the straps, pole height adjustment, and tip placement. There is a technique to it (not to be confused with Nordic walking), and the majority of people who buy them end up using them as props! By involving your arms in the process of walking, you essentially gain the mobility and balance of a 4-legged animal. Here's a pretty good guide to getting the most from your trekking poles.

Cheers ...

Edited by Rich in NEPA
Trekking poles have made a significant difference on my hikes.  They help relieve the discomfort by reducing the stress on my knees, as well as extending my endurance for longer hikes.  However, you must learn to use them properly, including the correct use of the straps, pole height adjustment, and tip placement.  There is a technique to it (not to be confused with Nordic walking), and the majority of people who buy them end up using them as props!  By involving your arms in the process of walking, you essentially gain the mobility and balance of a 4-legged animal.  Here's a pretty good guide to getting the most from your trekking poles.

Cheers ...

Thanks for the feedback! I checked out the link and notes on knee troubles and it mentions uneven wearing of the heals, which I have an older pairs of shoes. I guess I might be a candidate for footbed/insoles.

I asked for trekking poles for Father's Day, but if I go out Sunday I'll bring a ski pole with me. I'll see if it helps.

I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one that has knee issues. Stinks getting old - I want to be young again!!! ;)

I went to see the dr after my pain didn't go away a week after it started happening, when I did a long (for me) hike and seek for a day. Like you it really hurt going downhill - uphill was easier but still painful. Downhill I needed to use my trekking poles as my legs and just scoot down the hill on them instead. The weird thing is that I was ok on the day - it just started the day after. Anyway, the dr said that it was just over straining them and gave me some ibuprofen to take. I did this for a couple of days and the pain (mostly) went away. I now take a pole with me everytime I go hunting, and 2 if I know its going to involve steep hills. I don't think its old age as i'm only 32 :-)

Here's an update (whether you care or not). For the past 3 weekends, the pain in my right knee has been unbearable when going down hill. Going uphill I'm fine but down hill was KILLING me!! It even started to bother me once or twice a day during the week so I thought maybe something was wrong.

Had an appointment today with an orthopedist in Mahwah, NJ who was great. Took some x-rays, checked me out, talked to me about what hurt & when, pushed all around my knee and found 1 spot he can push on that always hurt.

His initial diagnosis is that I have Patellar Tendonitis. The good news is, of all the things he could have told me, it's probably the least worst one! He prescribed an anti-inflammatory to take for 3 days and then the morning before I hike. He gave me this band that goes around my leg above my tibia and below my knee cap to help hold the tendon in place. And then, barring any denial by my insurance company, 3 visits a week for 4 weeks for physical therapy to help stretch the muscles in my leg. He says I'm not very flexible (though my wife might differ :blink: ) and stretching the lower and upper leg muscles should help the situation.

I scheduled another appointment in 4 weeks and he said if everything is fine to cancel it, otherwise come back for a follow-up if I'm still having issues. So, that's the scoop. And the day before I turn 41. Once you turn 40, things just start falling apart!

Dr Adam Bernstein and he's part of the Garden State Orthopaedic Associates group. Their office is 400 Franklin Tpke (Suite 112) and the number is 201-825-2266. They also have a web site on the card I have - http://www.gardenstateortho.com

Good luck!!! It's a bitch getting old! <_<

I went out for a a couple of quick caches this morning, came home, dropped off the daughter that came with me and then went back out to find 7 caches at the Hilltop Reservation. The terrain at the Hilltop was pretty mild but I didn't experience any pain while I was walking. Tomorrow (the 4th) I'm planning on hitting up a relatively easy hike in Harriman off 17 by Arden House Rd and then if I'm not in pain and have time, drive over to the other side of Rt 17 and hit up a loop in Sterling Forest off CR-19 (Orange Tpke). I'm optimistic I'll be pain free. Hope I'm not pushing my luck.

David

Edited by Team DEMP

When I was like 14 I hurt my knee playing hockey. Then I re-injured it skiing when I was 21. Now It hurts a little pretty much anytime I walk, or sit for a long period of time. Not bad usually but sometimes I'll wake up in the morning and can't walk on it at all. I ice it for a while and work it out and I'm OK for the rest of the day. It's not to the point where it's debilitating yet but I presume some day I may need surgury.