"need" To Buy A Geocaching Vehicle

Okay, I am looking to get a small RV, for many reasons, not the least of which is going geocaching. But I need to check my credit, which I have never done. Anyone have any experience using teh online credit checking agencies - any caveats and/or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

Did I mention I want to use it partly for geocaching? :lol:

Okay, I know I'm stretching it a bit, but it's still true...

Well I just happen to be in the real estate and mortgage industry so I can help you out so you can get your RV for GEOCACHING. First, DO NOT get your credit checked by more that one industry in a two week period. In other words don't apply for a credit card, apply for a mortgage and apply for a car load within the same two week period. That will lower your score. Just getting your credit check once may effect it slightly but not enough to matter. Go to the following site:

myfico.com Checking your credit yourself will have no effect. If your credit is better than 650 you will have no problem getting a loan for an RV to go GEOCACHING. Over 700 and you can pretty much buy whatever you want.

Guess i dont get out much or something. I know that younger people have to get their credit established and that it is sometimes hard for them to do that. We all pretty much went through the process. But now im older and have no earthly idea why i would want to check my credit report (pay to do that) or get some kind of score (pay to do that too). Yes, there could be a screwup on it, but it would be spotted the next time i applied for a loan and i could take action at that time. As far as some kind of score is concerned, once you found it out, then what? What can you do about it. I know where my credit stands, not meaning to give you a hard time but why dont you know how yours is? For me, i would never pay anyone for a credit report!!! :)

Sorry, i know that was probably off topic a bit. :)

As far as your RV loan is concerned,, just get with your bank or credit union. If its a new RV then the dealership will have finance companies that they use who will have even better rates!

Edited by Mudfrog
Guess i dont get out much or something. I know that younger people have to get their credit established and that it is sometimes hard for them to do that. We all pretty much went through the process. But now im older and have no earthly idea why i would want to check my credit report (pay to do that) or get some kind of score (pay to do that too). Yes, there could be a screwup on it, but it would be spotted the next time i applied for a loan and i could take action at that time. As far as some kind of score is concerned, once you found it out, then what? What can you do about it. I know where my credit stands, not meaning to give you a hard time but why dont you know how yours is? For me, i would never pay anyone for a credit report!!! ;)

Sorry, i know that was probably off topic a bit. :)

As far as your RV loan is concerned,, just get with your bank or credit union. If its a new RV then the dealership will have finance companies that they use who will have even better rates!

For you, it may not make any sense. But I needed the report so I could proactively get my credit to an acceptable limit, not only so I can get an RV, but for later when I need to apply for a mortgage. Even getting rejected for a credit card can lower your credit rating. Checking it yourself does not (as I have found out).

What can I do about the problems? Contact the agencies that have negative credit issues and try to resolve them and/or remove them from the report.

Not everyone has made wise decisions in their youth - I certainly have not. In some ways, those poor decisions are hurting me now. One of those poor decisions was not to apply for credit to build a history. Now, when I need it, it isn't really there.

So I'm taking teh bull by the horns right now and taking care of it.

JMBella was very helpful offline in regards to how to go about working to improve my record. Right now I've just got to put some things into action and await the outcome. I'll leave the thread open, but if a mod sees fit to lock it down, I won't really mind. My own questions have been answered (THXBELLA). perhaps someone else would like to piggyback on this thread with similar questions.

I know that younger people have to get their credit established and that it is sometimes hard for them to do that. We all pretty much went through the process.

Yeah, talk to anyone who moves to the US from the UK or Europe with a good job, $100,000 annual salary, but can't borrow $5,000 or get a Visa card... no history, no credit, no credit, no history.