Posting pictures from cache camera

Boundertom

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it.

I just got the film developed from my first cache camera. It is neat to see some of the people who have visited my cache! Is it acceptable to post these pictures (27 of them) to the cache page? If not, what can I do with them? With all of the cache pages I have viewed, I can only remember seeing such pictures at one cache. I do not have a web site, and don't really want to bother with setting one up.

Second, does anyone have any tips for putting names with the pictures? I have been able to figure out maybe 30% of the pictures. Few people mentioned what picture # they took. The only thing I can think of is to email all the people who have found my cache and ask them to view the pictures. Then they can email me with IDs or other info. Sounds like it will take awhile!

Thanks for any help!

Boundertom

Here's how I did it for The Giving Tree. I scanned the images and loaded them on to an archived cache of mine. When I uploaded them to a log, there's a URL for the thumbnail and the full image. A little HTML goes a long way. I simply created a page for them and uploaded the HTML as an "image" for the cache page.

Of course, if there's a spoiler I did it slightly different to make it so that it wouldn't spoil the hunt for someone just looking at the local cachers.

As far as the names, Ohio has a pretty active local group population. They might be able to help out.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

A recent article in a photography magazine addressed the legal (liability) aspects of publishing pictures and the requirement for obtaining a release from the subject(s). A self-portrait on a camera owned by someone else was not discussed, however. So I have a few thoughts.

That you knowingly take your own picture might seem to imply permission, but does it really matter who pushes the shutter button?

Secondly, if you are recognizable from the picture you take and the cache owner's use of the photo will be commercial--any use intended to promote a business interest--including web sites, looks like a model release would be needed.

What happens if the owner sells or gives away the pictures and does not include any language on the restrictions of use? Can the owner sell them?

Who owns the copyright on the picture--you or the camera owner? An argument could be made that you created the picture, not the owner. The image is your intellectual/artistic property.

If a picture depicts someone doing something crazy, and the cache owner creates a caption calling the subject a klutz or jerk, it seems the owner might be liable for subjecting the person in the image to public ridicule. Hmmm.

These are just ideas and questions I thought could use some airing.

To the staff at Groundspeak: how did you handle the legal aspects for the images of the models you used on the main page?

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on March 29, 2003 at 08:42 AM.]

I was a photo major in college, so we had this type of thing come up in class.

Basically, taking your own picture with someone else's camera and knowingly leaving the camera behind you are giving up your rights to that particular likeness.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

That begs the question: Are any and all rights the same as most rights? After reading the It's the Law! article in the March 2003 issue of Pop Photo & Imaging, there may well be a dozen caveats to a (paraphrasing)

quote:
technically giving permission as long as it's not illegal or making money off it
answer.

If it's illegal, do I have rights? If you're making money, do I have rights? If I have rights in these and other matters, then the camera owner can be sued. That opens a whole bag of worms (not to be confused with lawyers). These questions need answers, but I don't work for Shell icon_smile.gif.

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on March 29, 2003 at 11:23 AM.]

In the cache I just placed I left a camara in a ziplock bag. Also I left a note in large letters stating

quote:
Feel free to take a picture. When all the pictures have been taken I will develop, scan and post these pictures to the cache page.
Seems pretty simple.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================