Kicking The Beehive And Running

Out here, we make our neighborhood kids put a live chicken in a box, then make them stay up all night (drinking coffee, of course) and whisper the co-ordinates for the cache we want to find to the chicken in the box, over and over, all night long. Then, in the morning we release the chicken and we follow it to the cache.

Works every time.

35041592-2528-01900171-.jpg

Morning Find the Cache Chicken Release

Rick

Frankly, I feel that if you aren't personally responsible for cutting down trees by printing cache pages, you have no right to go tromping through them trees to find caches.

/Just my $.02. Paper money, of course.

Ta heck wit dem dang trees. All dey do is attract birds. Birds poop on my gas-guzzler. I say we cut'em all down. Yeah....cut'em down. Dang trees. :lol:

Frankly, I feel that if you aren't personally responsible for cutting down trees by printing cache pages, you have no right to go tromping through them trees to find caches.

/Just my $.02.  Paper money, of course.

Ta heck wit dem dang trees. All dey do is attract birds. Birds poop on my gas-guzzler. I say we cut'em all down. Yeah....cut'em down. Dang trees. :lol:

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush... unlesses you be cuttin a-down them bushes, then youz got three birds... in the pot and all tasty-like.

Hmmm, kick beehives and running...

Anything like pouring boiling water/oil on anthills? And do you get experience points for that?

Anything that helps you find the cache - high tech or not (including glasses, sticks, spouses, dogs, computers, modems, gc.com, etc.) - is cheating! If they were meant to be found, they would be sitting in plain sight! Leave the caches alone!

/me imagines the horns popping out as supervisors read this and try to figure out who goes to what name(s). :lol:

Seriously though. Once I went to a PDA, I haven't looked back. CacheMate allows you to log everything in one program, from the date/time of find, T: L: notes, whatever. Plus, it has the built in feature of showing you the nearest caches instantly, much like the 60 series from Garmin. It's so much more cost effective. These days, you can score an old Palm IIIxe (perfect for Geocaching) for few bucks on eBay if you look at the right times.

I've also used Plucker and PalmReader for my caching adventures, each with their pros/cons...but all great software resources.

I used a calculator when taking the SAT's. Is that cheating?

I almost always embrace new technologies. Saving trees is good too.

Don't forget the batteries.

I stole the answers to the SAT's and scored a mighty 450........I was so proud. :lol:

I use spy satellites to watch people hide their caches, so I know exactly where they are. If they're too far away to go find, I just fake my logs anyway. Is that wrong? :lol:

Call me old fashion, but I still love the paper. I do own a PDA and could not imagine life without it, however, somethings just look better on paper. Also, I like to write notes and draw on the cache pages. I just find it easier to scribble on the paper vs the PDA.

OT - I'm one of those guys that still miss the album covers for the old vinyl LPs. Those album covers were works of art ... The trend is that things continue to get smaller (except for automobiles). Which reminds me of my old neighbor ... when asked how he was doing, he would always respond, "well my nose is getting bigger and my carrot is a get'n shorter." Whats a guy to do?

edit - spelling

Edited by clearpath

It's cheating. We should follow the example set by pirates and BURY our treasure then draw out a map. Then go kill other pirates to steal their maps and dig up half the country side looking for the buried treasure. The numbers would still matter since you want to be the list pirate left. It means you get to retire and enjoy the plunder.

Out here, we make our neighborhood kids put a live chicken in a box, then make them stay up all night (drinking coffee, of course) and whisper the co-ordinates for the cache we want to find to the chicken in the box, over and over, all night long. Then, in the morning we release the chicken and we follow it to the cache.

Works every time.

Rick

hehe. YOU TOO?!

Out here, we make our neighborhood kids put a live chicken in a box, then make them stay up all night (drinking coffee, of course) and whisper the co-ordinates for the cache we want to find to the chicken in the box, over and over, all night long.  Then, in the morning we release the chicken and we follow it to the cache.

Works every time.

Rick

Note to self: Stay away from Castro Valley, California :D

Edited by Stunod

I tried cachemate out, but find that I like paper cache info better, and it is one less set of batteries to wear out. I can also write notes on the paper more easily than on my palm. I'm limiting myself (for the moment :D ) to a GPS and a digital camera as regards tech-weenie equipement.

As afr as it being cheating, I think that whatever people want to bring along while geocaching should be fine, as long as I don't have to carry it or remember to bring batteries for it. :D

nfa

It's apparent that more and more geocachers are using technology to find caches, including things like PDA's and global positioning system receivers. Do you think this is appropriate, or is it cheating?

I don't use a GPSr or a PDA. I call my psychic friend and she tells me where all the caches are and let's me know if I will find them or not. :D

No, seriously, I use a Garmin 60cs and a Tungsten E PDA. Not cheating in my book. It saves paper, ink and lessens trash (old cache printouts) by using a PDA.

But if you think I am cheating, so be it. I have all this fancy schmancy equipment and sometimes I STILL can't find the cache. So it's not a perfect system but at least it gets me to the right area so I can start looking for the cache! :D

It's cheating. We should follow the example set by pirates and BURY our treasure then draw out a map. Then go kill other pirates to steal their maps and dig up half the country side looking for the buried treasure. The numbers would still matter since you want to be the list pirate left. It means you get to retire and enjoy the plunder.

"Being killed by pirates is good"

quick...name the movie!

It's cheating.  We should follow the example set by pirates and BURY our treasure then draw out a map.  Then go kill other pirates to steal their maps and dig up half the country side looking for the buried treasure.  The numbers would still matter since you want to be the list pirate left.  It means you get to retire and enjoy the plunder.

"Being killed by pirates is good"

quick...name the movie!

Princess Bride

I don't use a GPSr or a PDA. I call my psychic friend and she tells me where all the caches are and let's me know if I will find them or not. :D

I keep trying to use the psychomantium I built to find caches, but all I get is lame virtuals of Saddam getting torn apart by a mob of people in white dresses, lottery numbers, the exact date and time of a big comet striking Russia and such. What a rip-off.

Word to the wise: Don't build a psychomantium in hopes of being the new FTF king of your area. All you will get to see is the future and obviously the future is all lame and somewhat depressing virtuals followed by the cold cloud of a comet striking the Earth and then blackness. :D

Sn :D:D gans

I use the Alchemy method. I only place caches in the full of the moon. At the cache site, I make a mixture of spring water, elderberry root, burnt ashes from the skull of a hanged man, and a dash of soy sauce. All of this is put into a cauldron over an open flame and stirred with a green Hickory stick. The sick must be green. The steam vapors will start to form above the cauldron and then and only then I chant the incantation of Caligistro. The mist will form images in the ancient Sumerian language. I use the Cabalistic cipher of Pythagoras and convert the message into lat/long. And there you have the exact coordinates accurate to .00000001 cm. Who need a GPSr? :)

Here is a picture of us conjuring up some coordinates.

brueghel.jpg