Make You Own Hiking Staff

>After it is sanded it’s time to put on the Geocaching logo and the name you want >on your staff. I used to use a plastic template for the logo that I made. Then I >realized that Geocaching.com provided the perfect template for free. Go to Geo >Logo and choose the logo you want to use and print it out. You may have to >scale down the size to make it fit on the staff. I use the black&white logo.

Does this violate the No commercial use policy, or did you get the permissions?

Verga

Does this violate the No commercial use policy, or did you get the permissions?

Verga

I have permisson.

Also for those of you who are going to make your own...If you read the guidlines for logo usage you will find that you are ok if you use it for personal reasons and not profit.

El Diablo

Bumping this one up, since I just had to hunt for it. :)

My almost 15 year old son picked up a stick when we were hiking the other day, and when we were sitting and having lunch he started stripping it with his pocket knife. He loved the look and feel of the wood... and now wants to make a walking staff. We know absolutely nothing about trees or wood, so this should be some kind of adventure! Bummer that Madrona doesn't work, since that is one tree I definately know on sight. This is gonna be fun!

I just found this thread and didn't read all the posts. I have turned a couple of staffs for people on my lathe. They were all a three piece type made of exotic woods. I have decided to make one for myself and got a catalog at my last woodworking club meeting. They have some interesting wood for walking sticks and canes and also have the hardware you may need.

I ordered some Diamond Willow and Yucca to make a few. I also ordered the combination tip to use on one of them.

Here's the link:

http://www.treelineusa.com/

Look for Walking Sticks under Categories

They are mainly a woodcarving store. If you click on the Craft Supplies USA link at the bottom of the page, you can find the hardware needed to make a three piece walking stick or a two piece cane. If you make the 3 pc right, you can take out the center piece and have a two piece cane. Craft Supplies is mainly a wood turning store, so you will need a lathe or someone who can turn it for you.

They don't call me Woodbutcher for nothing!

Edited by Woodbutcher68

After buying one of these for our event (THANKS E D), I realized I would likely want to bid on it myself...so I decided to make my own staff! Found a nice Ash branch laying near a newly fell tree, took it home and sanded it a bit (leaving the bark intact), dremmeled off the branch "nubs" and performed a bit of cosmetic work to it before adding my initials and varnish! WOW, very nice staff indeed!

I then added one of our Lazy Hayes Days coins to make it trackable, some leather strips for a handgrip and some braided leather for the strap (plus some feathers and decorations)....SWEET!!!

I can't wait to see the Lazy Hayes Days II staff, but at least I won't be tempted to buy it (maybe...)!!

So if your interested let me know and I'll give you step by step instructions on making your very own Geocaching hiking staff right here in the fourms.

El Diablo

Looking and can't find, are you emailing the directions? If you have posted them, when I get time I will look through all the pages of requests to see if I can find them, otherwise please send.

So if your interested let me know and I'll give you step by step instructions on making your very own Geocaching hiking staff right here in the fourms.

El Diablo

Looking and can't find, are you emailing the directions? If you have posted them, when I get time I will look through all the pages of requests to see if I can find them, otherwise please send.

You can go back through this thread towards the beginning and read. Or you can go to Today's Cacher where it's all summed up.

El Diablo

To every one that wants to make there own walking stick, there easy to do and no one way is the right way.

I have been making my own walking stick for over 16 years now. I was 16 when I did my first one, unfortunately it went missing after I did a brief stay in the military. (mom moved while I was away)

I tend to make mine more elaborate then some people do, but that is because I have been doing them so long. And yes I do make oppsies, but then fix them or incorporate them into the final product.

I prefer using Beach trees because they tend to have some nice angles on them or weired features. ( I ) also don't care to make a strait staff, I tend to like the ones that will have a handle on them so when I am walking I have a hand support when I am just going for a stroll.

If I do find a good specimen I like to work on it ASAP, this way the bark comes off easier. I also tend to grab them in the winter more then the summer months since the sap wont be in it. here is a link to a rough pic of what I use. This stick I have been using for about 6 years. Since I started caching it has taken a beating and I have had to figure out new things to incorporate into the new walking sticks. uper end of stick

I'm going to send El Diablo a link that might help him with all the requests for teaching I hope it helps him.

genegene

Edited by genegene

Yes, I want to know, especially if you're not going to be making them in the months/years ahead, or is that just an evil rumor?

Specifically, I'd like to know how you embed the compass into the staff? I'm assuming you dig out the top, but how do you make sure it stays embedded?

Ummm, glue??? :D:D

El Diablo

I'm interested, too. Also can't find instructions posted anywhere.

El Diablo

I'm interested, too. Also can't find instructions posted anywhere.

Go about 10 posts up and I've posted a link.

El Diablo

After promising it about three years ago, I finally finished a staff for my brother, commemorating his tour in Iraq. This is the second one I've done. My son is due one on his birthday this year.

3198421662_bee7a00c49.jpg3198423634_182f258000.jpg3198418158_2cc0dca960.jpg3198417088_84a2e51212.jpg

The stick got a little crooked in the curing, but it has a nice bend right at hand level. When I make these, I use a woodburner for the outlines of letters and images.

After buying one of these for our event (THANKS E D), I realized I would likely want to bid on it myself...so I decided to make my own staff! Found a nice Ash branch laying near a newly fell tree, took it home and sanded it a bit (leaving the bark intact), dremmeled off the branch "nubs" and performed a bit of cosmetic work to it before adding my initials and varnish! WOW, very nice staff indeed!

I then added one of our Lazy Hayes Days coins to make it trackable, some leather strips for a handgrip and some braided leather for the strap (plus some feathers and decorations)....SWEET!!!

I can't wait to see the Lazy Hayes Days II staff, but at least I won't be tempted to buy it (maybe...)!!

Your staff sounds pretty cool. How about a pic?

Thanks for the first part. I'll take a trip this weekend to find a suitable piece of wood to start with. I like the way Madrona looks, but is it a hardwood? How can I tell?

If you live in the Pacific NW, look for something called Vinemaple. I've not worked with it, but I've heard of folks making wooden bows from it. If it will make a bow it will make a nice staff.

After promising it about three years ago, I finally finished a staff for my brother, commemorating his tour in Iraq. This is the second one I've done. My son is due one on his birthday this year.

3198421662_bee7a00c49.jpg3198423634_182f258000.jpg3198418158_2cc0dca960.jpg3198417088_84a2e51212.jpg

The stick got a little crooked in the curing, but it has a nice bend right at hand level. When I make these, I use a woodburner for the outlines of letters and images.

Great job! You always were a wiz with the woodburner. I wish I could learn the art of woodburning.

You will find that the longer the staff, or the smaller the dimensions makes it more likely to bend or warp as it dries. If you have the time and patience you can correct the problem before you begin to work on the staff.

Basically you have to find a way to pressure the staff to bend how you want it to. I use a set of wood steps to wedge the staff and bend it to the direction that I want it to go and then tie it off. I wet it occassionally and let it set there a couple of weeks.

El Diablo

Great job! You always were a wiz with the woodburner. I wish I could learn the art of woodburning.

You will find that the longer the staff, or the smaller the dimensions makes it more likely to bend or warp as it dries. If you have the time and patience you can correct the problem before you begin to work on the staff.

Basically you have to find a way to pressure the staff to bend how you want it to. I use a set of wood steps to wedge the staff and bend it to the direction that I want it to go and then tie it off. I wet it occassionally and let it set there a couple of weeks.

El Diablo

Thanks, for the compliments and for the tips. I did try pinching it to a beam with vises but I probably didn't do it for long enough. Wetting it might have helped too. But as GOF & Bacall posted, the unevenness adds character.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Your staff sounds pretty cool. How about a pic?

I'll try to get a pic and upload it!

Here's one:

1f703116-de01-447a-b01f-e94539c7aeca.jpg

Not very close and I've added a few coins and feathers and hiking medallions to it, but this will give an idea. Where the lady is holding, you can see the bark still left to give character.

Try this one:

staff%20001.JPG

Sorry for the darkness, but this should give a bit of idea of the look.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

THANKS!

The top coin was the first to go on, it was placed in a little nook which was perfect for it. I used some kind of all-surface adhesive putty which works great. The Nerds coin sits just a bit askew and sticking out, but fits well and the MiGO medallion came rounded like that.

You cant see much of it, but the leather was hand cut and braided by Tod, he did the grip and handles. Attached to them are a bunch of feathers and a good luck piece.

The wood is the actual color with several coats clear varnish, I think it's an Ash branch, but can't recall. We had found it in the park we host our annual event.

Here's another pic:

staff%20002.JPG

Edited by Rockin Roddy

It may not be fancy, but the best hiking staff I have ever had was bamboo. I acquired it in 1978 and it has just about finished being useful. Light, strong, and works.

Now the story behind this piece of bamboo: I was driving west on Interstate 10 in Florida, had just read The Complete Walker III, by Colin Fletcher, and he highly recommends bamboo. Saw a bamboo patch over a chain link fence next to the highway, Aha I say I can get me a hiking stick.

Jumped over the fence with my machete and cut several to be sure I had the right size. Jumped back over the fence to go to my vehicle and all Heck broke loose. I had stumbled on to a fire ant nest and they were eating me up. So there I stood next to I-10 with my pants down trying to get rid of the fire ants. (true story)

BrrrMo