Travelling Maintenance Pack

psyci

I'm a relatively new cacher, but I'd like to become a better caching citizen. In my caching, a lot of the caches I've come across have required minor maintenance, and I've always felt it would be nice to help the owner maintain their caches while I am there.

I've decided to build a "travelling maintenance pack" - essentially, a lightweight, small bundle that I can take on all caching trips so that I can help maintain and improve all the caches I visit. The goal would be to have supplies to either repair or replenish the standard contents of a cache.

The goals of this pack:

- Have supplies to leave at caches when necessary

- Have supplies that can be used to repair caches

- Be able to handle multiple cache visits before replenishing the pack

- Be very lightweight

- Be reasonably compact (pocket-sized preferably)

- Be relatively inexpensive to create and replenish

The things I plan on including so far:

- 2 gallon-sized ziplock bags

- 6 sandwich-sized ziplock bags

- 2 replacement logbooks

- 2 pens

- 2 pencils

- 1 small pencil sharpener

- 2 printouts of the "You found it! Intentionally or not!" text

- 3 paper towels OR 1 cloth towel (something absorbant, like a car-drying cloth)

- Duct tape (wrap a small amount around a flat or round object)

Some other good suggestions, that others might want to include

- Laminating sheets

- Multitool (Leatherman, Gerber, etc)

Another idea (originally suggested by Team K-9) was to have a more complete trunk kit, which would have more supplies, including:

- more of all of the above

- full sized cache container (ammo box/tupperware)

What else does everybody think should be included in this pack? What other common problems do caches that would be nice if cachers could help solve with a kit like this?

Edit #1 - added paper towels (thanks briansnat) and duct tape (thanks TeamK-9) and trunk kit (thanks TeamK-9).

Edit #2 - added laminating sheets (thanks DocMagoo), multitool (thanks geocyclist) and duct tape ideas (thanks multiple people)

Edited by psyci

Two words: Duct tape

I'd also have to say that it could be incredibly useful to have an extra ammo can or tupperware standard size laying around, you wouldn't want to actually carry this in your pack unless you knew you needed it. But it's great to leave in your car in case you find a cache that cannot be fixed with duct tape and needs a completely new container...

Edited by TeamK-9

Paper towels - great idea! I have a permanent towel that will serve the same purpose (it's small and meant for wiping down your car), I might use that.

Duct tape - also good, but there's a problem: a roll of duct tape doesn't fit in your pocket. I'm sure there's a way where one could take four or five strips of pre-cut duct tape strips along, and make that fit. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Ammo Box - definitely doesn't fit in your pocket, but it brings up an interesting idea - why not keep a more complete, larger, heavier reconstruction kit in the trunk? This could include the full roll of duct tape, extra supplies, even a full size cache.

I'll keep the first post updated.

The things I plan on including so far:

- 2 gallon-sized ziplock bags

- 6 sandwich-sized ziplock bags

- 2 replacement logbooks

- 2 pens

- 2 pencils

- 1 small pencil sharpener

- 2 printouts of the "You found it! Intentionally or not!" text

- 3 paper towels OR 1 cloth towel (something absorbant, like a car-drying cloth)

- duct tape (not the whole roll - any ideas on how to carry just a few strips?)

Great idea. I also carry some extra supplies with me not only to maintain some caches, but also to maintain some of the TBs I come into contact with. Not to detract from your original post, but I found the following also valuable:

1. 3M instant laminating sheets. They can be bought at Staples in various sizes. I carry 4x6 and 3x5 for the geocaching page that you put inside caches as well as TBs.

2. flagging tape ..... sometimes cache maintenance might mean that you can't replace the cache where it once was and had to move it. Along with a the note you will probably log with the new coords to the owner, a little piece of flagging tape would help the owner in finding and retrieving the cache.

3. extra swag ..... I know it's not about the loot, but recently, we had some cache rogues around here who liked to clean out caches. Little things to replenish a cache like GPS food are invaluable.

4. large black Glad garbage bags.....meant to line a cache container if required.

5. a couple of extra 600 - 1000ml Lock 'N Lock containers.

You have some great ideas!

Don't forget an extra notebook. That way you can make a note to yourself to post a log that says the cache is in need of maintenance. Isn't it the cache owners job to get off their lazy behind and maintain their own caches?

I'm all for being a responsible member of the caching community but cache owners also need to fulfill their end of the bargain.

I usually carry a spare ziplock and a log book. That's about it.

Great topic, thanks for posting.

Here is how I carry duck tape. I take a 10 cent plastic pen, pull the ink cartridge out. Using a utility knife I saw/cut the pen body into a length slightly longer to the width of the duck tape. I then roll on as much duck tape as I want. You could also use anything round as your spool, pencil, dowle rod, etc. I carry one of these mini rolls when traveling, in my bike tool kit, and caching.

Also it is handy to carry a leatherman or similar tool for cache maintenance. So that you have a pair of needle nose plyers, knife, scissors, and screw driver.

The biggest item I use is zip lock bags so I carry a few more if you want to cover multiple caches before restocking.

You could also add some micro containers, 35mm film containers, bison tubes, paper for micro logs, etc. Also a magic marker is handy if you have to relabel anything.

Duct tape - also good, but there's a problem:  a roll of duct tape doesn't fit in your pocket.  I'm sure there's a way where one could take four or five strips of pre-cut duct tape strips along, and make that fit.  Any suggestions on how to do this?

A technique I use is to just make my own rolls. I take a flat piece of card stock, about the size of a business card, but heavier, and just start wrapping it. You end up with enough duct tape for any use, and it's about the size of an average men's wallet...

I guess GeoCyclist beat me to it...

Edited by TeamK-9

Leatherman (or other all-in-one tool) was the first thing to enter my mind. Geocyclist got that one. I have fat flat carpenter's pencil with duct tape wrapped around it, and clear packing tape wrapped above that. The pencil is about 6" long, so both kinds of tape fit. The flat shape helps you wrap the tape straight.

I guess I'd add my little Ivona microlight (to see if a possum or worse has taken up residence in that hollow tree).

For the cacher, and not the cache, how about some DEET and a small tube of sunblock?

We may be getting to small fanny pack size here.

Well... we're getting away from the maintenance part a little. I carry a bunch of other stuff, of course, I'm just looking to add a bit of maintenance stuff.

Ultimately, it's the cache owner's responsibility to maintain it, but being helpful is nice, of course. Of course, everyone can choose how much they'd like to help out. I'm going to draw my line at completely replenishing / replacing the cache, but smaller things are fine.

My personal recommendation for duct tape would be to carry black rather than traditional silver. Black duct tape works just as well as other colors for maintenance, but it also can be highly useful for camouflage purposes.

A couple of months ago I was FTF on a cache from someone who was even greener than I am. It was in a city park, and was somewhat visible from several feet away even at midnight. After contacting the owner to get permission, I went back and covered the (white) container with black duct tape, and voila! I could still see the cache if I looked right at it, but my eyes were no longer drawn to it.

Duct tape - also good, but there's a problem: a roll of duct tape doesn't fit in your pocket. I'm sure there's a way where one could take four or five strips of pre-cut duct tape strips along, and make that fit. Any suggestions on how to do this?

I wrap about a 3 foot length around my trekking pole near the handle. I've also done something similar to what Geocyclist does, but used a popsicle stick instead of a pen.

My personal recommendation for duct tape would be to carry black rather than traditional silver. Black duct tape works just as well as other colors for maintenance, but it also can be highly useful for camouflage purposes.

It also comes in a camo pattern. Can be found in many sporting goods stores.