Stratford Area Caches

Teach2Learn

I'm from the Louisville, KY area, planning on heading north to the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in July. I'm sure to do some caching along the way, but my search came up empty on the Stratford area of Ontario. I realize there are many caches in London and Toronto, but was hoping someone had created some, possibly with a Shakespeare theme, close to Stratford.

Wishful tourist cacher thinking, I suppose? :huh:

You're right - Stratford itself is a cacheless zone but you will find a number of good caches not too far away. A good way to look is to use the Ontario Geocaching Association web-site.

http://66.207.113.44/oga/index.asp

Click on Search for Towns, type in Stratford (or any other Ontario place name) and you'll get the local list. Around 70 caches within 50 kilometers of Stratford - and covering 50k in that part of rural Ontario doesn't take too long.

Just looking thru various geocaching topics. We visited Stratford a few weeks ago. Did some caching around the area. Try The Talented Mr Bean. We really enjoyed Field and Stream Cache. We also did Trail Bug. Ended up doing a lot of driving and getting thoroughly lost. Depending on how far you want to drive there are some excellent Hard Oiler caches to the west. Have a great time.

Thanks for the recommendations. Who can resist a cache called "Mr. Bean"? :blink:

Following your journey, I'll probably try to find the "Field and Stream" and "Trail Bug" caches too. The one part I'll try not to imitate is the "getting thoroughly lost" aspect. The combination of caching in the region and Stratford plays is a perfect fit for me.

There are also about ten caches in the Woodstock/Ingersoll area, directly to the south of Stratford (about a half-hour drive).

Stratford would be a very nice place for setting caches, but my guess is there aren't any geocachers in the immediate area.

- hamgran

There are also about ten caches in the Woodstock/Ingersoll area, directly to the south of Stratford (about a half-hour drive).

Stratford would be a very nice place for setting caches, but my guess is there aren't any geocachers in the immediate area.

- hamgran

I think you're right about the lack of geocachers in Stratford since it's more of a tourist town, though it would provide extra incentive to cachers like myself.

I saw some of the Ingersoll/Woodstock caches listed too. As usual, too many caches, too little time, but squeezing them in would be fun.

I spoke too soon on the "Mr. Bean" cache as I just spent hours deciphering the related puzzle. But now I'm ready to pay him a visit!

I wanted to provide an update now that I've returned from my trip:

--Stratford would be a wonderful place for geocaching with its beautifully maintained park/pathways near the Avon River and its unique historical links to the world-renowned Stratford Festival.

However, some factors would need to be addressed:

1. Stratford's groundskeepers do such a thorough job that unless caches were well hidden they might often be viewed as litter and tossed.

2. Permission may be difficult to obtain where necessary unless examples of success in similar tourist areas would make it apppealing to the parks deparment.

3. Muggles abound at times, though I think there are still many opportunities to cache without being noticed.

4. Many trails lead to semi-isolated areas providing great hiding spots, less likely to be found accidentally.

--Because I found so much to do in Stratford, I was only able to search for one cache in the surrounding area, The Talented Mr. Bean. Thank you to all who recommended it. I enjoyed deciphering the puzzle and finding the stone(s) after I discovered the correct roads to take. An accidental side trip to Wellesley wasn't too big of a mistake as it was still a nice town. I did have to make myself aware of Amish buggies, something I don't usually encounter here in Kentucky. Hopefully, I'll be able to return to Stratford on a yearly basis and find more Ontario caches.

Edited by Teach2Learn