Palm Application For Reading Pq Files?

uraca

Thanks for the reply. It looks like cachemte is used to process the PQ file which can then be transferred to the Palm as a memo???

Had the file sent in loc format for EasyGPS and the other file that is supposed to be for pda - I think. Tried to transfer the latter to the Palm but did not find it any where after the HotSync.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.  It looks like cachemte is used to process the PQ file which can then be transferred to the Palm as a memo???

Not quite. The PQ file is processed for use by CacheMate, which is its own application on the PDA. It can also import/export via memopad, though, but that's something else (most common use for that is getting logs of found caches back to the PC... you export to memo records then Hotsync).

Had the file sent in loc format for EasyGPS and the other file that is supposed to be for pda - I think. Tried to transfer the latter to the Palm but did not find it any where after the HotSync.

Unless you have MobiPocket installed, you're not going to find it anywhere to try and open it. In that case, I think you can still find it in the list of things to delete, as its just taking up space otherwise.

If you're a relatively experienced Palm and PC user, then Plucker works very well for reading cache pages. If you're a newbie, then Cachemate is certainly easier. Plucker does take some tweaking to get it working exactly right, but after you get it set it's useful for lots more than geocaching. It will put any web page, html or text document on your Palm. But if you're just starting out and are just using the Palm for geocaching, then Cachemate is the way to go. I use both, because I use Plucker for lots more than geocaching, and because Cachemate lets me edit the cache pages.

You can't put non-Palm OS files on a Palm. They have to be converted to a Palm OS database. You can store files on an SD card, if the Palm has a card slot, but you can't access most of them. There are Palm apps that let you read and edit text documents and jpg files, and play music files, but not a whole lot else. Straight .gpx files won't work.

Thanks to Nightpilot for the response. Will try Cachemate first and then Plucker. I am new to Palms. Is there something you recommend for reading to learn more here?

Thanks.

One of the best things to do is go read the Cachemate threads on this forum.

I would start with the 3.4 version thread and then read the 3.5

You will see all the questions people had on using the software - both newbies and hard core like embra :blink: