Magellian Gold: Memory Card For Maps Only?

From what I have read in the user manual for the Magellian Gold if you add a memory card you can only use it to store new map data on?

Can I add a memory card and story more waypoints on it?

Nope...

They are stored in internal memory only.

That's absolutely wrong!

You can save waypoints using the Card Utilities. You can save unlimited waypoints in 500 waypoint files.

You must delete all the waypoints in the Meridian before you can load others from the SD card.

leatherman,

So you can use a SD card to store files of waypoints, but the Meridian Gold can not read the waypoints direct from the SD card. You have to load them from the SD card to the GPS, correct?

Yes. The GPSr will only hold(read) 500 waypoints.

You can save as many 500 waypoint files as will fit on your memory card. To switch files, delete those on your GPSr and load a file from your SD card.

I usually have five different query waypoint files on my SD card. When I cache in different regions, here in the Seattle area, all I have to do is switch files.

This is working better then I thought it was going to.

After I put in a SD card I get a new menu option, "Card Utilities"

Under Card Utilities I have these options:

Save WP/Route

Save Track

Load WP/Route

Load Track

Delete Files

Format Card

Test Card

I can take all the waypoints that are in the GPS internal memory and save them to a file on the SD card befor I do "Menu"-"Setup" -"Clear Memory" to clear the internal memory.

I did not think I would be able to write to the memory card from the GPS only read from it :P

I was thinking I would have to use my USB card reader for the SD card and load it up that way before putting the card into the GPS. :huh:

"Test Card" shows me how much memory is used and the number of files on on it.

This is great!

Thanks again,

Edited by Milbank

The SD card is one of the best features of the Meridian. However, I see 2 things stated earlier that I would like to clarify. You can have Waypoints in internal memory and load additional waypoints from the card (in a saved file) to the internal memory. If the total of these is less than 500, then they will all show.

Regarding loading to the card: you can do different queries, and convert each of the .gpx files to a different waypoint file using GPSBabel. Then load these to your card all at once using an external card read/writer. You can then load these individually to internal memory when you want to use them.

Another neat thing you can do is exchange waypoint files in the field with another Meridian user, without a computer. Just swap SD cards, load the waypoints and save to a file

You can have Waypoints in internal memory and load additional waypoints from the card (in a saved file) to the internal memory. If the total of these is less than 500, then they will all show.

That's great!

It just keeps getting better and better. :huh: