Username Change

Dopefish

I just had a quick question about the site and this looked like the correct forum... I hope :blink: I was interested in changing my username, but when I did I discovered that the username I wanted was *gasp* taken! Anyways, I did a search on the username and they haven't hidden/found any caches or for that matter even validated their account since Sept 2002 or so. Does the site purge inactive accounts at any point in time? I don't have to change my name I guess, but was just wondering.

If you email contact@geocaching.com and reference the name, and if the user never validated their account or posted a log, and if you're nice (hint hint - premium membership :blink:) then we may go in and change the name of the old unused account so you can grab it.

I've been thinking about changing my user name however -- how does that affect my account -- will all my stats move with my new user name or will they be reset to zero. What about posts and caches that I have logged? Will those change or stay the same or disappear?

I've been thinking about changing my user name however -- how does that affect my account -- will all my stats move with my new user name or will they be reset to zero. What about posts and caches that I have logged? Will those change or stay the same or disappear?

try it and see... :D

actually it will all move with you to your new name.

I just happened to be wanting to change my nickname, did a search and found this recent thread!

The name I wanted was taken but never validated in 2002. Ugh! Sent a quick e-mail got a quick response and my name was changed. Though it looks like it's taking a while to completely go through the system I know it will soon.

Thanks, guys.

BTW - Why can't you just purge all the unvalidated names that are at least a year old? There's another one my son wants, and I'm sure a number of kids have wanted, that's been taken but never used for 3 years.

BTW - Why can't you just purge all the unvalidated names that are at least a year old? There's another one my son wants, and I'm sure a number of kids have wanted, that's been taken but never used for 3 years.

Here's something to think about, and I'm not being totally facetious. What if your son wanted the i.d. Ringbone? :unsure: