Rechargeable Batteries

elkhorn98

quote:
Originally posted by sbrady88:

I read through a lot of the older treads on rechargeable batteries but I didn't see a lot about rechargeable akaline batteries. Seems like most people use Nimh batteries. What is the story with rechargeable akalines?

I tried them a few years ago. Found them to be next to worthless.

ApK

I have a great deal of professional and hobby experience with almost any type of battery you can name, from the tiny "hearing aid" batteries to 25,000 amp/hour lead acid cells.

The worst ever are Nickel-Cadmium. They have only used so much because there were no economical alternatives until recently (say the last 6 or 7 years).

Rechargable alkalines are slightly less problem prone than Ni-Cads, but cost a lot more.

Nickel-Metal Hydride are coming down in price, and are very durable. Normally my choice for rechargables in items that use standard size cells.

Lithium Ion are the best from a standpoint of density (more capacity in less space) and number of charge cycles. They are still very pricy, but usually the technology of choice for items using proprietary battery packs. (cell phones, ham radio HTs, etc.)

Of course, for capacity and reliability, it is hard to beat regular, non-rechargeable, alkalines. They are costly (due to single use) and not very environmentally friendly, but work very well and have a long shelf life.

Your mileage may vary...

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:...I don't see any way to delete a post once made....

scroll to your post and click on the "edit" icon - that's the one on the top left that looks like a pencil and paper.

in the editing screen, there is a link on the top left that asks "delete message?".

click it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey... what's that smell?

Rechargable alkaline aren't talked about much, or used much simply because many who have tried them don't think they are worth much trouble. Rayovac claims the Renewal batteries can be charged up to 25 times, but in practice you're doing good to get 4 or 5 recharges if you use them in a GPS receiver, and take them down to the level of a low battery warning prior to recharge. With each recharge, they have considerably less capacity. If you drain them too low, they can't be recharged, and they are very prone to leakage, even after only one or two partial discharges and rechargings. Keeping the batteries matched up is even more critical than with the old Nicads.

Chargers designed for alkaline batteries have been available for at least 30 years, although alkaline batteries designed to be recharged have only been around for 8 to 10 that I know of. Personally I haven't found much difference in the ones designed to be recharged and those that weren't. They seem to accept a charge about the same, and the seem to leak quite often no matter what you use. I personally don't think they're worth the trouble.

For what it's worth

Jeff

I used to use them in my Palm Pilot. A new set of AAA will last for as long as a month. Rechargables would give about half that after the initial use, and down from there. More trouble than they're worth.

The only place they may be of use is in equipment that has to have a full 1.5v per cell. That's the only advantage they have over other rechargable batteries, which generally have 1.2v.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by smashsquatch:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:...I don't see any way to delete a post once made....

scroll to your post and click on the "edit" icon - that's the one on the top left that looks like a pencil and paper.

in the editing screen, there is a link on the top left that asks "delete message?".

click it.

Tried that and got a message:

This forum only allows messages to be changed for 1440 minutes after posting.

So do not hesitate if you need to edit/delete your message.

Errare humanum ets.

quote:
Originally posted by Erwast:

Tried that and got a message:

This forum only allows messages to be changed for 1440 minutes after posting.

So do not hesitate if you need to edit/delete your message.

You apparently haven't actually tried it. It doesn't matter how quick you are. The forums no longer allow the deletion of messages.

3608_2800.gif

I always found the rechargables dying at the most inappropriate times, and I'd have to run out and buy regular batteries...often at a premium price (e.g. a convienence store...once I had to buy a 2-pack for $4 in order to finish a cache!)

I've found that by watching for sales at my local supermarket, I can stock up on name-brand batteries at around 20 cents each. Well worth it in my book.

Especially since I also use AA's in my caving lights...I don't want to mess with finicky rechargables down there.

George

I use NiMh batteries in virtually everything. I've found they work better in the cold than regular alkalines, although for snowshoe trips etc I generally carry a 4 pack of litiums with me just in case.

As for charge problems, I use the rayovac 1 hour charger. Keep a set in the charger so they're ready to go. I also have a charger I keep in my truck with the adapter that came with it. That way if I head out in a hurry I can still charge up a set on the run.

Down here in Arizona the cold weather is not a problem, just don't leave your GPS unit on the dashboard...as far as batteries go, I don't play around anymore, a fresh pair if the current ones are less than half charged, I don't want to get lost out in the desert if they go dead, I figure my life is worth the $2-3 for new ones...

Ive been using these in my meridian marine for 6 months now. Here is my take on it. Ive have 3 sets of 4 AAs that I use. I bought a radio shack 13 hour charger for Ni-Cad and Ni-MH(cat# 23-427) with 4 1500mAh AA,

4 rayovac 1600mAh

4 energizer 1850mAh.

They all hold up well. I use the same charger for all of them I always carry 4 freshly charged batteries, and 2 fresh alkalines. I rarely ever change the batteries during a cache hunt, even when back lit. They hold up just as well as the throw aways. Thales navigation claims 14 hours without back light with fresh alkalines. I only ever got 10-11, same as the Ni-MH. The difference is I can reuse them. I think it has to do with the slower charge. Your mileage may vary.