What Are The Signs Of A Geocaching Addiction

Is geocaching ruling your life ? do you think Seaside should end with an “R” come and share your thoughts. :lol:

You can tell caching rules your life when a 100 mile drive is a short trip out.

You can tell caching rules your life when you know exactly how far your nearest cache is from work (4.6miles) B)

You can tell caching rules your life when a 100 mile drive is a short trip out.

You can tell caching rules your life when you know exactly how far your nearest cache is from work (4.6miles)

You can tell caching rules your life when : You drive past a public footpath sign thinking Ummmm could be a good hiding place for a cache.

You can tell caching rules your life when : Walking around Tesco`s you are pulled into the kitchenware looking at the Tupperware containers.

You can tell caching rules your life when : You spend more than £15 in the local Pound shop, looking for goodies to fill up a cache.

You can tell caching rules your life when : Making a 7 stage series seems a good idea !?

And Finally, You can tell caching rules your life when : You pop over to see your parents, only to be pulled in by 3 caches and 4 trigpoints on the way.

Pengy & Tigger

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

You can tell Caching Rules Your Life

when you have just finished a 12 hour night shift and are sitting on the bus going past a location where you previously found a cache (Nr Bolton) and you are looking to see if there was an easier way to get to it and the best of it is I think I found one, but then if I had found this previously we would have missed out on the lovely walk to the cache site.

Now How Sad Is That !!!!!!!!

Joan

:blink::D:huh::D:o

You can tell your wife is addicted to caching when she:-

A. Spends hours designing sig items.

B. Buys a PDA specially for geocaching

C. Comandeers your new TB tags.

D. Spends hours designing T shirts with user names on them.

E. Swipes your new ammo boxes to make her own caches.

F. Persuades you to go after a 7 series cache in the pouring rain.

G. Wants to race seasider to the caches !!!!!!

H. Gets you up at the crack of dawn to be First to Find.

And finally

I. Starts posting to the UK geocaching forum.

Edited by Cave Troll & Joan

To quote T&P:

You can tell caching rules your life when : You drive past a public footpath sign thinking Ummmm could be a good hiding place for a cache.

Done this many times, to my shame.

You can tell caching rules your life when : Walking around Tesco`s you are pulled into the kitchenware looking at the Tupperware containers.

Yep, this too. They do some good own brand stuff cheap...

You can tell caching rules your life when : You spend more than £15 in the local Pound shop, looking for goodies to fill up a cache.

No, I have enough stuff collected from caches and a past life in IT Distribution to have avoided the Pond Shop thus far. There are a lot of Keyboard cleaners of mine out there.

You can tell caching rules your life when : Making a 7 stage series seems a good idea !?

Oops. There's my 10 multi-cache Chess series. Does this count? Or my 5 (and counting) stage Puerile Photo Cache collection?

And Finally, You can tell caching rules your life when : You pop over to see your parents, only to be pulled in by 3 caches and 4 trigpoints on the way.

If I see a trig point I make it a feature of a cache of my own :blink:

I'd like to have some other addictive behaviours taken into consideration:

You can tell caching rules your life when : You spell Cash 'Cache' all the time and have to double-check yourself.

You can tell caching rules your life when : You notice how much some mobile phones look like GPS handsets while you're out, making you paranoid that you'll not be the FTF!

You can tell caching rules your life when : Everywhere you know is located relative to a place where you once went to find a cache and fell in a river/was scared witless by a big dog/met Dan Wilson.

You can tell caching rules your life when : Rather than taking a healthy interest in the television you spend ages on silly things on the UK Groundspeak forum page... :huh:

SP :o

...when the only website you ever look at these days is the geocaching one

... if you have to go on an outing (for work or pleasure) to a new area and you just can't wait to discover if there will be suitable caches to look for on the way

... if you did what I did this week, and actually plan a class visit to a site because there was a (virtual) cache there!

...when you resent other weekend commitments which will prevent you from geocaching (eg. school fair tomorrow - bang goes any chances of me going out caching then)

... when you have to return to a "did not find" as soon as possible, just so you can find the b***er

...when you wish there were more caches close by so you could do them after work too, instead of having to wait until the weekend when you have more time for travelling

... when you buy a special bag to keep your swaps in!

...when you arrive at a cache site and discover that your footwear/clothing is not going to be suitable. You know you are going to get soaking wet feet and trousers but you go in regardless

All that Allieballie and others have said... and...

.....you feel a little thrill of excitement when you find that a new cache has been placed within striking distance

..... your week is planned around caching opportunities

......your children know that you're going to start talking about caching even before you've opened your mouth

....your daughter notices something new in the house and and doesn't have to ask you where you got it

.....you take up work offers because they will enable you to travel to a new caching spot

.....you have a 'caching' backpack complete with GPS, camera, TBs, swaps, printouts, torch, batteries, pen, binbags and spare notebooks that is never unpacked between caching trips

....you feel a sense of great satisfaction when you introduce someone else to the hobby

.....and can't wait to swap geocaching information with them.

<<You can tell caching rules your life when a 100 mile drive is a short trip out.>>

Well we haven't done that for caching - yet - but as birders we think nothing of driving long distances - Land's End is a morning return trip and north Norfolk is routine... We've even done a "day run" to Glasgow, all from our home near Reading, Berks. Problem we're having is trying to combine both hobbies. Leaving a car full of expensive birding optical gear whilst we geocache is too dodgy but the frustration is driving us bananas! All good fun.

You know you're addicted to caching when:

1: You blow your wife's redundancy settlement on a 4x4 just to get closer to some long caches near byways.

2: You rate your fuel economy in Caches per Gallon

3: You design & make 3 different sizes of laminated cache cards for all occasions

4: You buy special carry cases for the above cache cards

5: All the PCs on your Home network have a Drive mapped called "X:\ (Geocaching)"

6: You can download 3000 caches, filter into types, and export to Autoroute, Cache Mate & GPS in less than 10 minutes.

7: You introduce yourself to fellow cachers, using your User Name as if it was on your Birth Certificate

8: You have a production line set up in your back bedroom for making caches & signature items.

9: You designed and made yourself a credible Geocaching ID card

10: you dream about being sponsored by a major company to be a professional geocacher

Got another two I thought of today (make that three actually)

1. When your partner, or a newsreader etc happens to mention a place name and you automatically say " There's a cache near there"

2. When you always forget to buy replacement batteries for your childrens toys, but you always remember to buy a set of spare batteries for your GPS

3. When you spend your spare time pondering the topics on the geocaching forum, and thinking of things to add!

It might just be our social clique but...

You know when youre addicted to geocaching when you try to justify your reasons for touring the country side looking for tupperware rather than go to the pub and get bladdered 24 hours a day...

or

You get angry at the fact that your new nickname is "rambler" and not "cacheboy" which is at least accurate if not somewhat demeaning!

House Of Boo

:D Help me - i've only been at this game for a few weeks, 29 finds on and I'm already dreaming in "geocache" - hide must hide no no no find must find got to find more..............arghhhh :D

Is there anyway back? Should I stop now ? (I can you know - no addiction here!)

This is my first post on the forum too (another worrying sign) - am I going to get addicted to this as well?

You know you are addicted to geocaching when you are sitting in a hot office at work thinking it would be a nice day for caching and reading the latest topics on the forum......Not that I would be thinking about doing this for one moment :D

you know youre addicted when after doing this you go out to bag a lunchtime cache and bump into a fellow cacher. Then following the enlightening conversation, you walk out on your job a few days later to spend more time caching!!

You know when you're addicted when you look at your 3-year old's playmobile treetrunk and say "that would be a good place to hide a cache".

You know your wife thinks you're addicted when she says "I thought you'd say that".

You know your 3 year-old is addicted when she sends Barbie and Ken in their car to hunt the geocache. Apparently the car is equipped with Sat Nav and they had their GPS in the boot.

You know you are addicted when you tell your friends and family that you have booked a holiday abroad and the first thing they ask you is - how many caches are there, and you already know the answer (2 on Malta btw)

You know your kids are addicted when you go to a find new cache and your 4 year old asks if Seasider has been here yet.

You know your addicted when you only take a break from the computer, to do some cleaning :D, just so that you can spend 22 hrs a day on the site, when not out caching :D (ups now the secrets out on how to bag FTF's).

Dave :D

Cleaning? Cleaning WHAT? Your GPSr? Otherwise what's the point?

You know your 3 year-old is addicted when she sends Barbie and Ken in their car to hunt the geocache. Apparently the car is equipped with Sat Nav and they had their GPS in the boot.

You know your addicted to geocaching when your 9 and 7 year old girls have grid referenced every room in the house.

You have an anti bramble and nettle kit in the boot of the car.

and batteries are at the top of your shopping list

To take this thread off in my own direction:

You know when you're addicted to setting geocaches when...

Your 'girlfriend' pulls out of a date at the last minute (her husband came home :)) and you go out and place a cache to cheer yourself up!

You realise you've set 38 well inside a year. That's almost one every 9 days. This is clearly a cry for help!!

You see a BOGOF deal on cute little notebooks in Woolworth's and buy all their stock.

You're on your third OS map of your home area inside a year, having worn out the last two.

A friend just happens to ask where a footpath goes and you accuse them of industrial espionage.

SP :)

I am not adddicted I can stop when ever I want .......Honest :)

You know your..... INTERESTED when when your Grandparents (in their 80's) ask you to take them on holiday and pick them up, then you plan the route there and back taking in caches/trigpoints. Then leave them in the car on the Great Orm while you pick off the caches (Not that I would do that) B) B)

ps they enjoyed the view :)

..when your four year old informs you that he has set up a cache in the living room and asks you to come and find it (had to follow a path which took me to the sofa, then I had to climb over that and look under a cushion, remaining discreet and quiet whilst opening the cache itself in case I attracted any unwanted attention from potential passers by! Rubbish swaps though- all toy soldiers!), Got to go now as he's just announced that he's hidden another one...!

You know you're addicted to caching when -

you email another cacher to ask them if that car with the appropriate private number plate was them (I got an email asking if I had a Volvo with the plate V5 GPS (I haven't))

You spot a number plate with GPS on it and try to chase down the owner and offer to buy it.

Food is going bad in the fridge because you've pinced all the tupperware and left it in the woods

You've been using only a digital camera for the last 3 years, but you have a bag full of empty 35mm film cannisters.

The first piece of shareware you've ever bought is Cache Mate

You spot another car on the road with a GPS/Palm/PocketPC on the dash and put your foot down, in case they beat you to the FTF.

...when you've had a new kitchen and beautiful floor covering put in 12 weeks ago, and you've just discovered that there must have been a pipe leaking behind the washing machine for the last 3 months, because water has started seeping out from the edges of the floor and when you lift it there is not only a vast film of water there but mould and allsorts growing under your expensive vinyl, and you have to rip up the lot to let the floor dry, and now the whole kitchen smells of rotten fish from the partially dissolved adhesive, and you can't get the insurance company until tomorrrow, and you can't find the policy you took out to get emergency plumbing repairs, BUT you decide to cheer yourself up by planning a geocaching trip to a new area at the weekend, and suddenly, you feel so much happier!

You know that you're addicted to geocaching when:

You drive home from your latest geocaching expedition, planning the next one in your head, despite having suffered yet another mini disaster. These have included finding that my parked car has rolled backwards into a stone wall, encountering a bull in a field, lossing an expensive pair of sunglasses (luckily found on a return trip) and dropping my GPS into a burn in a place that made it difficult to retrieve it.

You know you are addicted to Geocaching when:

On a rainy windy horrible day, you decide the weather might have put other cachers off but you still go out.

Your hubby buys a new Garmin 60CS so that you can have his old Legend, so that you too know where you are going to look for the cache.

You buy a PDA for use on caching expeditions and routing, having no need whatsoever for one in normal day to day life.

You become a Regional Co-ordinator for the new mag.

You spend Friday night scanning the cache pages for any new ones that might have just gone live.

Could I be Addicted I am sure that I am not really, I could give it up today if I really wanted to, Should I, Could I. Yes I could and I will. (But then what would I do with all the gizmo's and gadgets I have just bought), well I suppose I will have to get some use out of them before they gather cobwebs in the corner.

Joan

<_<:mad:<_<:mad::mad:

Edited by Cave Troll & Joan
..when your four year old informs you that he has set up a cache in the living room

My three year old and I were without a car the other day... and he REALLY NEEDED to go geocaching. We wrapped a coffee can with camo duct tape. His little sister helped him fill it with toys and a log book. Then he hid it in the backyard. His dad took him on a backyard night caching adventure the next day. We insisted that Dad sign the log when he found it.

You Know you are addicted when you can't drive past somewere without thinking "that would make a great location for a cache event" :lol: . or even worse when you see a car that parked like it's not local near a cache, and you start debating with yourself about which cacher it could belong to :blink: .

"I am not addicted to Geocaching"

Even after a thousand times, I still dont believe it :) !

Dave