Meridian Platinum... Software Suggestions

Your choices are limited in mapping. You can use Magellan's Mapsend or Magellan's Mapsend. B)

Like the "Other brand" you're stuck with proprietary programs.

If your do buy the Mapsend don't follow the directions for downloading the Basemap. Hopefully they have update the directions that come with the Mapsend program.

The Platinum already has a basemap pre-installed.

John

There are two street map products made by magellan.

Map Send streets and destinnations, this is the basic street map software for the USA.

The other software is the Magellan MapSend direct route, this has all the street info the the other one does but includes turn by turn automatic navigation. It is more expensive but well worht the price.

I have both versions, I have had Map Send Street for over a year and Map Send Direct route for about 3 months, I really like Direct Route.

You will also need an SD memory card to load the maps onto. I got my card at Costco 256 mb. I have just about all of Nevada and California loaded now, not that I needed that much of a map, but I wanted to see how much I cold load onto the chip.

Ok so i havnt had my Meridian gold for verry long either (wish i had got the platnum but oh well).

Whats all the talk with gpsbabble? and useing Streets and trips to plot waypoints and routes then "download" to the GPS.

What your saying is all these addtional maping softweres can be converted? to something that mapsend understands? because mapsend is the ONLY softwere that is capable of talking to the GPS?

It just boggles my mind that given the "Standards" that Magellan adhears to (serial port) there isnt SOME other way to get other detail maps loaded? expecially with the removable SD cards (we) have.

Have i totatly missed something hear?

I have spent quite a bit of time lurking and reading other posts and such trying to figure this out, but i will have to admit, im no closer to understand than when i started. (and quite frankly refuse to admit i have to cough up another $100 for softwere to talk to the thing)

As stated in the Magellan FAQs below, only Mapsend can send detail maps to your Magellan.

GPSBabel can convert tracks, waypoints, and routes. It doesn't convert maps.

Some inroads have been made into reverse engineering the mapping formats and hand-creating maps for upload, but it's really not a process for the faint of stomache.

What your saying is all these addtional maping softweres can be converted? to something that mapsend understands?  because mapsend is the ONLY softwere that is capable of talking to the GPS?

It just boggles my mind that given the "Standards" that Magellan adhears to (serial port) there isnt SOME other way to get other detail maps loaded?  expecially with the removable SD cards (we) have.

Waypoints, routes, and tracks are relatively simple data that most mapping software programs will be able to exchange with most GPSr units. You can also use the free EasyGPS and the "free" GSAK programs that are non-mapping, but good waypoint managers to send waypoints to a GPSr. And, of course, GPSBabel (also free) will do some other data exchange feats that include talking to your GPSr.

Maps are, well, more complicated. Both Garmin and Magellan have their own proprietary format for their units to use, and their own software programs adhering to those formats. As Robert said, there are ways to roll your own, but most of us will vastly prefer to fork out the cash for the off-the-shelf variety.

So it won't necessarily cost anymore to talk to your GPS, but the content of your discussions will be shaped by the amount of available financing. B)

Edited by embra