Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Alan2

Just Got My Talkabout...

Just opened the box, or should I say the blister pack, of the 5950. They work. The 5950's are 1/2 w Channel 8-14. Channels 1-7 and 15-22 are 1w. Unit hs 99 Interference elimnator Codes (38 standard plus 61 didgital codes for what they call "superior eliminator protection) Great, now a few questions:

I'm looking for performance in the woods while my wife waits in the car:

1. where should my wife keep the unit while she waits in the car. On the dash while in standby? When sending?

2.. Once I get a GMRS license, which channel should I use that has the best penetration?

3. Which eliminator code?

4. What do other cacher usualy use if I want to pick them up if they're around?

5? How does the codes prevent that?

6. Manual says user code is included. Wjat does that mean?

7. Is there any reason to use FRS between my units other than if a third user only has FRS? Is that the only reason I have FRS? What about power drain differences?

Tks

Alan

Edited by Alan2

Oh. Do I lose penetration with QT Noise Filtering turned on?

Tks again

Alan

Hey Alan2, Well let's see my first thought is to make sure you have read the manual. Ok reading the Manual with the Radio's will help, Ques #1 . where should my wife keep the unit while she waits in the car. On the dash while in standby? When sending? Quest#1. Well if she is in the car, then she need to keep it close to window or windshield so it will receive.

Quest#2 .. Once I get a GMRS license, which channel should I use that has the best penetration? Well you and Her will hae to use them to find out, also keep in mind just as a GPS somtimes has poor reception, well so will the Radio's and trees and metal will kill a RF signal.

Quest#3 Which eliminator code? sorry I cant help you on this one you will have to read once again.

Quest #4 What do other cacher usualy use if I want to pick them up if they're around? Probally most use FRS and others have Amateur Radio License and use a Ham Radio such as a Hand held Radio.

Quest#5 & 6 Again sorry you will have to read and find out.

Quest #7 Not unless you both want to and again FRS may be more popular in your area and I know it is here were I live more poeple have them than GMRS, because of the License requirement.

I hope I have helped some but the more you read and play the better you will be

Happy Hunting and Talking

very73's

de Continouswave WV5V in MISSISSIPPI

1. where should my wife keep the unit while she waits in the car.  On the dash while in standby?  When sending?

In the window that's facing the direction you are. Also keep the antenna vertical and away from metal. This is for both transmit and receive. This is assuming you don't have metal tinted windows. If your GPS doesn't like the dashboard, your FRS/GMRS isn't going to like it either.

2.. Once I get a GMRS license, which channel should I use that has the best penetration?

The ones with the most power. I doubt if there's enough difference in frequencies between the different channels to make a noticeable difference. So pick the quietest channel.

3.  Which eliminator code?

No code. The eliminator code requires not only that the receiver gets your signals but also pick up the fact you've sent the proper code. In marginal signal situations the receiver may not pick up the code it needs to hear and ignores your signal. Also by not using any code you'll know if anyone else is on your frequency. Any other users on the same frequently regardless of codes will hamper your communication.

Those codes don't magically create another frequency at allow you and others to talk at the same time, it just allows your radios to keep quiet if someone else (using a different code) is around. While silence may be golden, it also causes a loss of situational awareness.

4. What do other cacher usually use if I want to pick them up if they're around?

I believe CH 2 is the "standard"

5?  How does the codes prevent that?

I don't understand the question. Hopefully my explanation of the codes did.

6. Manual says user code is included.  Wjat does that mean?

Can't tell from that limited information.

7. Is there any reason to use FRS between my units other than if a third user only has FRS?  Is that the only reason I have FRS?  What about power drain differences?

FRS is lower power drain because less energy is used on transmit. It's also legal if you don't have a GMRS license.

Even though I'm no radio expert, I went ahead and wrote this about FRS and GMRS. :D

No code. The eliminator code requires not only that the receiver gets your signals but also pick up the fact you've sent the proper code. In marginal signal situations the receiver may not pick up the code it needs to hear and ignores your signal.

Awesome point! I wish it had occured to me for the story.

Which eliminator code?

It really doesn't matter. If you want to use them, and it's not a good idea for the reasons already stated in the previous threads, make sure that both radios are set to the same one.

How does the codes prevent that?
Read the story in the link I provided, I think that should answer your question.

make sure that both radios are set to the same one.

Keep in mind that radios from different manufacturers may use the same number for different codes (or different numbers for the same code - however you want to look at it.)

As a result you must always test to make sure the new channel/code is working before putting some distance between them. But a quick two-way radio check is always a good procedural practice before starting a trip.

make sure that both radios are set to the same one.

Keep in mind that radios from different manufacturers may use the same number for different codes (or different numbers for the same code - however you want to look at it.)

Yes, I mention that in the article. He bought a two-pack of the same radio, they dadgum well better be compatible! :D

Edited by Criminal

He bought a two-pack of the same radio, they dadgum well better be compatible! :D

Agreed. But a radio check is still a smart move just before heading out. Mis-set, dead batteries, etc.