60cs Did Something Weird Today.

This afternoon I was standing by a 6 story building and could only obtain a 2D lock untill I stepped away a few yards. Then I got 3D. When I went across a coverd plaza to the other side of the building, I of course lost lock. Here comes the strange part. I stood out in the open for 5 minutes and it never re-gained lock. I turned it off and back on and it got lock in 2-3 minutes. Have any other people had this happen?

That's one of the things I like better than my Magellan; it gets lock much faster.

BTW I just upgraded to firmware ver. 3.40 a couple of days ago.

One of the sites I work at is set up in a campus type setting. There are 5 buildings near each other and they are all 6-8 stories in height. Tall buildings will cause problems with sat signals. When I take my 60c to work, I experience the type of problems that you have.

I'm sure if you moved to an area free of these types of obstructions, you would find the unit working much better.

Remember GPS works on a basis of amplifying the natural background noise to broadcast it's timing signal. If you are in a large town or populated area with large buildings which probably house thousands of man made transmitters it's totally possible that the man made background noise is overcoming the natural background noise and making it very hard for the GPSR to decipher the signal it is receiving. It could go as far as confusing it and that is most likely why you need to reset it.