Log Only Micros

Okay, I want to start by saying that I don't have an issue with micros as a general rule. They make it possible to geocache in places you might otherwise be able to, and you can still swap small stuff- coins, pins, whatever. But how do y'all feel about the log-only micros? The ones where it's a piece of paper stuffed somewhere clever with not even a golf pencil to sign it with? I tried for one the other day, but I stopped when I realized that:

1) the park was nothing more than grass and a parking lot (nothing special by way of a view or historical significance)

2) there would be nothing to trade when I got there

3) and by logging it as found, I would be encouraging that person and others to do what seems like a real lame cache.

I mean, is this the wave of the future? Look at how clever I can be about hiding a piece of paper? Why should people bother with those? Or am I the only one who thinks it's so lame?

Okay, so not everyone's into trinkets. That's fine. Do you mind when you follow the GPS coords to a dull site where someone's managed to make a clever hide? Because honestly, there are a million places you can hide a piece of paper. Without a letterbox stamp or travel bugs or anything interesting in the cache, shouldn't more of an effort be used to put the log-only micros somewhere where the surroundings are interesting? Or does it all come down to racking up another cache for our counts?

you were right not to log it if you don't like it. i often don't log caches i don't like.

i personally enjoy the odd log-only micro.

the REAL bane of geocaching is the embarrassing practice of using the word "muggle" in a context not related to harry potter. i strongly suspect that the people who do this are the same people for whom foam cups now carry warnings. the se are the same people who need to be TOLD not to use a blowdryer while driving. these are the same people who had a care-bear themed wedding ceremony.

if i am describing you in this derisive tone, i am not sorry. nope, not one bit. when you report that your house has been "muggled", i hope the officer laughs.

We only started five months ago and didn't like micros at all. We liked something we could feel, search through, and trade something. After doing it for a while and finding a couple of "ugh" micros and learning the places they could be hidden and how sneaky they were we found ourselves liking them quite a bit. Now they are one of our favorite types of caches both to find and to hide. We don't like most of the stuff we find in traditionals and large micros. We don't have unlimited money to put into hiding caches so the micros are most of what we hide now. Our son very much disliked micros when he started with us but now he can find them before us and is just as elated as finding an ammo box full of things. Micros can sure get you frustrated sometimes just for the sheer size and all of the places they can be hidden, but when you do locate them it's great. I think the traditionals are better for the kids but we like all of them all as long as they get us some exercise and see new places (sure some are better than others) and have some excitement when they are found. If you continue to dislike them just filter them out of your queries to geocaching.com and search for just what you like. There are plenty out there. Have fun.

...Do you mind when you follow the GPS coords to a dull site where someone's managed to make a clever hide?...

Nope.

Without a letterbox stamp or travel bugs or anything interesting in the cache, shouldn't more of an effort be used to put the log-only micros somewhere where the surroundings are interesting?

That is up to the cache placer.

Or does it all come down to racking up another cache for our counts?

It's the HUNT that is fun!

I get to see many, many interesting places because many, many caches are placed in interesting places. I don't feel shorted when a find is in an uninteresting place.

There certainly are a lot of lame caches placed but with them we still have the hunt, some excercise, some time away from tv and computers, often it is time spent with friends or family, often in another city or countryside. If it is really terrible at least we get an increase in our find count.

"Ultimately you'll want to place a cache in a place that is unique in some way. The big reward for geocachers, other than finding the cache itself, is the location. A prime camping spot, great viewpoint, unusual location, etc. are all good places to hide a cache..."

That's from the geocaching.com planting-a-cache page so I thought people actually went by that. But hell, if no one minds the log only caches, so be it. But if you are thinking about planting one, please be clever somewhere interesting instead of being clever just to be clever.

Happy caching, y'all...

the REAL bane of geocaching is the embarrassing practice of using the word "muggle" in a context not related to harry potter. i strongly suspect that the people who do this are the same people for whom foam cups now carry warnings. the se are the same people who need to be TOLD not to use a blowdryer while driving. these are the same people who had a care-bear themed wedding ceremony.

if i am describing you in this derisive tone, i am not sorry. nope, not one bit. when you report that your house has been "muggled", i hope the officer laughs.

You must have gotten beaten up pretty badly on the Muggles topic.

With this one, though, we should be talking about log-only micros.

who cares where it is placed, yes its nicer to go to an interesting place but thats what gets taken up first so some not so interesting place will have to do for the cache. and log only, thats fine if the place it is hiddin calls for it. IE and urban cache or some really popular place. log onlys make it interesting cause they are small hard to find. there's nottin worng with them as long as they are placed where a mico is needed. not where you could have placed a trad. cache but put a micro instead.

and by logging it as found, I would be encouraging that person and others to do what seems like a real lame cache.

I mean, is this the wave of the future? Look at how clever I can be about hiding a piece of paper? Why should people bother with those? Or am I the only one who thinks it's so lame?

I agree. It's *LAME*. Log a DNF and tell the "community" what you thought of it. You might spare some other poor sap the indignity of looking for it.

Alright, say there was this muggle who came across a log-only multi...

(See how I artfully combined the two topics?)

...how is that muggle supposed to know it's part of an honest endeavor if there isn't enough room for the additional piece of paper with the geocaching.com explanation that usually accompanies a traditional cache log?

No, don't bother answering that. I'm the one who's been beaten into the ground. Most of y'all love log-only micros. I'm not a convert, but I'm not going to complain about them either.

Edited by metaldog
Alright, say there was this muggle who came across a log-only multi...

(See how I artfully combined the two topics?)

...how is that muggle supposed to know it's part of an honest endeavor if there isn't enough room for the additional piece of paper with the geocaching.com explanation that usually accompanies a traditional cache log?

No, don't bother answering that. I'm the one who's been beaten into the ground. Most of y'all love log-only micros. I'm not a convert, but I'm not going to complain about them either.

What I`ve been doing lately when hiding micros is reproducing the micro Geocaching disclaimer sheet, & reducing it even further on my PC.It`s the sheet that has 10 welcome notes per.I use that as the log sheet.I laminate the Geocaching side, & leave the other for signing.

What I`ve been doing lately when hiding micros is reproducing the micro Geocaching disclaimer sheet, & reducing it even further on my PC.It`s the sheet that has 10 welcome notes per.I use that as the log sheet.I laminate the Geocaching side, & leave the other for signing.

That's really clever. I'll have to remember that.

getting people to be creative and insightful when placing a cache seems to be almost impossible these days. log-only micros should go the way of McToys and other geo-trash. If you can't do it right.....This hobby/sport could be so much better if everybody put just a little more effort into it.

Perhaps it isn't so much that you dislike the log only micro, as the fact that it wasn't placed in an area you enjoyed hunting in. I like micros, log only is fine. I enjoy the challenge of the hunt and really appreciate a clever hide. Doesn't matter the size; large caches can be lame too. No matter what the size, I like when a cacher puts effort into the cache cammo and the thoughtfulness of the hide.

But all in all, I'll take the lame with the great. I'm happy people are willing to take their time and money to hide and upkeep a cache.

Thing to remember is, once you start hiding a few caches, make them the type of cache you wish all caches were. Give the extra thought and effort for the "ooohhhhh" factor. If you want to see more traditional size caches, help make that happen! B)

Thing to remember is, once you start hiding a few caches, make them the type of cache you wish all caches were. Give the extra thought and effort for the "ooohhhhh" factor. If you want to see more traditional size caches, help make that happen! B)

I'm truly looking forward to the day when I live in an area long enough to start planting some of my own.

And you're right that the lameness of the area was a big factor about my issues with the log-onlys. I felt robbed all the way around, not just because I knew I was going there looking for a log-only. I expected something to balance that out, and it just wasn't there.

when you live in a wet moldy uninteresting place like Gray's harbor ( even the name conjures up dull wet images) a well hidden and clever log only micro can be a challenge. especially as it rains 60 to 90 inches a year in this county (and more in the northern rainforest part).

At least with a log only micro you dont have a big box to open and try to keep dry while you get a log book out of a ziplock bag and sign and look at all the trinkets all the while trying to keep the rain out!

If you don't like them DON'T DO THEM!

getting people to be creative and insightful when placing a cache seems to be almost impossible these days. log-only micros should go the way of McToys and other geo-trash. If you can't do it right.....This hobby/sport could be so much better if everybody put just a little more effort into it.

All of my hides have been micros.I would really like to hide a traditional size, except there are so few places to hide around here without risking being muggled.Even the cache queen in our area has resorted to micros for that reason.I know the whole point of caching is to cache,but it seems hard enough just to find a hiding place for even the teeniest container. B)

Query: how do you the location is too lame to balance a boring log-only until you get there?

how do you know an ammocan has only got wet and moldy log book, pocket change and broken mctoys , and is in a boring spot, until you get there?

These log-only micros are great. Prizes can be nice, but they are not the reason that we (meaning me and Bill) cache. We have found some very clever log-only micros, and have hidden some too. It is not very interesting to have on in a boring area, but if it is cleverly hidden, that can be part of the fun. The only way I could consider a cache, "bad" was if it was not cleaverly hidden OR not in an interesting area OR not an interesting idea OR not a good hike OR not having good trade items. We would only concider not hunting a cache if it has ALL of these factors going against it. Thanks to everyone that has hidden a cache that we have found, we have enjoyed them all. If you don't like these caches, don't hunt them, but I think that they can be fun. Just my oppinion.

Query: how do you the location is too lame to balance a boring log-only until you get there?

how do you know an ammocan has only got wet and moldy log book, pocket change and broken mctoys , and is in a boring spot, until you get there?

Granted, but at least there's a chance.

To us, it doesn't matter. A cache is a cache. They are all fun. I have never encountered a "lame cache." It looks as if you are just trying to PO all of the people that have been nice enough to hide a cache for you to find.

a chance for what?

Well, the way I see it, there are three factors to a cache. The cleverness of the hide. The interestingness of the surrounding area. The cache contents. With a log only, you've already eliminated any chance of there being anything in the cache besides the log. That leaves the clever hide and the surrounding area. If the surrounding area is lame- which you won't know until you get there- then you went all the way out there only for the clever hide. And it its not so clever or it's damaged, you've wasted your time.

I think they're great. I don't usually trade anything anyway, so just logging that I've been there is good enough for me.

Besides, You can be much more creative with containers if they don't need to hold trinkets.

I does not take a lot of creatiity to hide something the size of a mouses but.

a chance for what?

Well, the way I see it, there are three factors to a cache. The cleverness of the hide. The interestingness of the surrounding area. The cache contents. With a log only, you've already eliminated any chance of there being anything in the cache besides the log. That leaves the clever hide and the surrounding area. If the surrounding area is lame- which you won't know until you get there- then you went all the way out there only for the clever hide. And it its not so clever or it's damaged, you've wasted your time.

the same can be said for a regular cache, went there for three times nothing. some time the logs can be interesting reading on a micro (only occasionally though) or on a regular one. Not everyone logs online.

a chance for what?

I would never call caching a waste of time.

a chance for what?

I would never call caching a waste of time.

A waste of gas then perhaps?

Lets make it simple. :lol: On the cache page there is a map, click on it. Micro cache hidden in an urban area. Hmmmm there is a chance that it is in a "lame" place and I don't like those kind of caches I guess I'll skip that one. Oh look on this cache page map it says that it is in the middle of the woods and I like those kinds of caches because there may be the slight chance that ammo can has something other than little kids toys and expired coupons. I guess that I will look for that cache because there is no way that a great big metal box could ever be "lame". See how simple that was! B)

shouldn't more of an effort be used to put the log-only micros somewhere where the surroundings are interesting?

I'm curious to why people seem to think this concept only applies to log only micros.

Is swag an excuse to be lame?

For whatever reason I've just never heard anyone say. "Wow! This would have been lame but thank god there are McToys here. This makes it worth all the effort!"

Oh wait, if it has McToys then they complain about the contents. If it doesn't have room for McToys they can't complain about the contents so they complain that it doesn't have any contents.

I get it now. Nevermind.

shouldn't more of an effort be used to put the log-only micros somewhere where the surroundings are interesting?

I'm curious to why people seem to think this concept only applies to log only micros.

Is swag an excuse to be lame?

For whatever reason I've just never heard anyone say. "Wow! This would have been lame but thank god there are McToys here. This makes it worth all the effort!"

Oh wait, if it has McToys then they complain about the contents. If it doesn't have room for McToys they can't complain about the contents so they complain that it doesn't have any contents.

I get it now. Nevermind.

For me its not the contents, but the camo job by the cache owner. After searching an area for over a half hour, it is so rewarding to find something with substanance. If it turns out to be a "breath-strips" container with a piece of paper jamed in it magnatized to the back of the stop sign, I find myself dissapointed with the find. In the city-type setting, caches should be unique in their location. Anyone can stick a "breath-strips" container to something.

Anyone can stick a "breath-strips" container to something.

And anyone can place an unpainted ammo box next to a tree and cover it with branches. Bad camo isn't limited to micros.

caching would be so much more fun if the trend was finding ways to hide bigger and larger caches.

In order to create that trend simply don't search for caches listed as micros. GSAK will filter them out for you no problem. All you have to do is take responsibilty for your own happiness.

Or would you prefer that local cachers cater to your personal desires and only place the caches you want them to place?

Or would you prefer that local cachers cater to your personal desires and only place the caches you want them to place?

Yes thats what I want!

Some one to place caches that I like, WHERE I LIKE!

ME, ME, ME!

Only micros in really cool spots!

Only regulars with ammo cans!

Only really cool swag worth at least $20!

All in only cool places!

And virts only where no pereson has been before!

Send me an email and I'll tell you where I want you to go!! (and place a cache)

A really well hidden micro will give as much pleasure as a large cache well hidden. The pleasure being in the finding of something muggles walk past on a daily basis and not spot. A bad one can be worse than a bad big'un, at least in the big'un you might find a decent swap. There are 2 micros hidden on Chester City Walls, one the challenge is not just finding it, but to actually retrieve/replace it, due to were it is. With muggles walking within 6" of the cache location along the walls. The second is actually in plain sight,but is well camouflaged, one cacher actually picked it up, and was going to put it back down before realising. At the end of the day it's a case of "Horses for courses", if you don't like micros, or you think its going to be a poorly placed one, "don't bother doing it".

Dave.