Blackberry Friendly - But Not Wap

TheNomad

Hey there,

Let me preface this by saying that I sincerely appreciate this site, and all the hard work that's put into it.

And No, there's no BUT coming.

I'd like to ask for/request a non-javascript approach at some point in the future though. The Blackberry (and I believe the Hip-top as well) don't support javascript.

The Problem

========

Right now, the .net framework makes long lists semi-easy by using postback (via javascript functions) to do paging. Well, when I'm out in the field searching for things on my Blackberry, I'm unable to view more than one page of information. This is because the Next, and the individual page numbers rely on a javascript javascript function for paging through these lists.

The Solution

========

Being able to submit the parameters in a GET, and specify the page number would be huge. I'm not afraid of constructing a lengthy URL in the field if it were only possible. I'd like to be able to do a search (that results in several pages), and modigy the current URL to include something like "&__pg=3" at the end of the URL. True - I wouldn't have the viewstate immediately available, but if I could just get at this stuff using a pure URL, it would make things possible for doing paperless caching live. Something like posting a URL that looks like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...32708&__navpg=3

Thanks again for the great site - I'm assuming that this is the correct forum to submit requests for enhancements to the site. I've I've inadvertently posted this to the wrong place, please refrain from the flames, and instead just point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Perhaps you didn't see the "But Not Wap" in the title of the topic.

I don't use WAP sites from my Blackberry because I have a full-featured browser. I'm bringing up maps, I can bring up any GC.COM page in full color with all the pictures. So, I don't want to use WAP at all - for anything.

The problems I am having are when presented with lists and such from the GC.COM searches or from a PQ that presents multiple pages.

I can't page through the results with the blackberry because it doesn't support javascript.

Perhaps you didn't see the "But Not Wap" in the title of the topic.

I don't use WAP sites from my Blackberry because I have a full-featured browser. I'm bringing up maps, I can bring up any GC.COM page in full color with all the pictures. So, I don't want to use WAP at all - for anything.

The problems I am having are when presented with lists and such from the GC.COM searches or from a PQ that presents multiple pages.

I can't page through the results with the blackberry because it doesn't support javascript.

Agree 100%. The hiptop doesn't do WAP either, and is a full featured browser except for javascript support. I think allowing some URL field manipulation work work for me in the near term as well. I don't mind editing the URL of the current page to get to the next one. That would be easy to do on a hiptop.

BTW, do you log your finds from the cache site? I love doing that and was interested in how many other people (besides Kablooey and I) do it.

--Marky

BTW, do you log your finds from the cache site?  I love doing that and was interested in how many other people (besides Kablooey and I) do it.

--Marky

I've done it a couple of times, but it is tedious to enter text on my phone, so I usually wait until I get home to write a "proper" log. My maintenance visits are usually logged via the phone, since they are just a short "All OK"

Edited by Stunod

TheNomad -

Your suggested solution in the parent post looks good. As someone who logs finds from the hiptop 95% of the time, this would help out a lot with searching, and quite honesetly, it should take less load on Jeremy's side.

Thansk for posting the suggestion - should be a simple fix for Jeremy - I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

-Aaron

Ok, sorry, I did see the "not Wap" but was a bit confused by its meaning. My WAP-enabled phone displays WML pages and uncomplicated HTML. The rtr and gc/wap sites are both just simple html sites that make for fast and compatible reading on a "WAP-mostly" phone.

They avoid the javascript issues and I thought that's what you were looking for. I don't know any backdoors for the doPostBack javascript that is jamming up your blackberry....pun intended.

Another hiptop user who thinks the addition of the requested feature would be just fantastic. It's really the only thing needed.

The best thing about caching with a web browser? Being able to find answers to questions for multis.....like for example the melting point of platinum.

I do often log finds on the hiptop, as it's pretty comfortable to type on.

BTW, do you log your finds from the cache site?  I love doing that and was interested in how many other people (besides Kablooey and I) do it.

--Marky

I've done it a couple of times, but it is tedious to enter text on my phone, so I usually wait until I get home to write a "proper" log. My maintenance visits are usually logged via the phone, since they are just a short "All OK"

On the Sidekick, I don't find it tedious at all. The Blackberry wasn't bad either. Both have a thumb style querty keyboard, but I prefer the Sidekick's shift and symbol keys to the Blackberry's. I never quite got used to the Blackberry's use of the shift keys even though I had it for a year.

I sure do. Unless I'm on a marathon. But yesterday, I covered about 3 miles picking up four caches on foot. After finding the cache, I logged the cache on the Blackberry while I was moving onto the next cache.

Since I don't really do cache marathons (not really interested in speeding from cache to cache, not saying it's a bad thing, just not for me) so I always attempt to log every find from the cache site. Some times it's not possible because of no cell service, so I have to write my logs as a note and log them later. Kablooey, who is also a sidekick user, was trying to write an e-mail submitter program, where you would e-mail your log entry in a specific format and it would submit the log entry for you. That way, you could enter your log entry even if you didn't have service and the e-mail would get sent automatically when service was restored.

--Marky

Since I don't really do cache marathons (not really interested in speeding from cache to cache, not saying it's a bad thing, just not for me) so I always attempt to log every find from the cache site. Some times it's not possible because of no cell service, so I have to write my logs as a note and log them later. Kablooey, who is also a sidekick user, was trying to write an e-mail submitter program, where you would e-mail your log entry in a specific format and it would submit the log entry for you. That way, you could enter your log entry even if you didn't have service and the e-mail would get sent automatically when service was restored.

--Marky

That's a nifty idea, let me know if you get it working. Though I'm not sure I'd use it much as I'm a onesy-twosy max per day type of cacher.

OTOH I have real bad CRS so I do like to log ASAP if I can.

Here's to thumb typing and acronyms,

For me, a cache marathon is like 20 caches in one day. Not nearly like the pros. Last night, I found ten caches, and logged as I went.

As long as there is sufficient distance between the caches, I can log right after I find. Nothing like driving down the street, Blackberry in one hand logging while watching the GPSr mounted on the dash... :D

OTOH I have real bad CRS so I do like to log ASAP if I can.

That's my problem. I'll be going fully "live" paperless tomorrow for the first time. I plan on logging from from the field b4 I forget what I took and what I left. :)

The next question is: What do I need to connect my Magellan to my Blackberry?