Gps Downtime In Florida?

I caught a small blurp on a local eastcoast Florida news program that the GPS system would be unavailable along the east coast of northern Florida and part of Georgia in the coming days for some reason. That doesn't quite make sense that it could be "turned off" in such a small area (geographically speaking). The news item seemed to be aimed particularly at boaters who would "have to go back to using VHF radio".

Does any have some real facts on this?

B)

Centered between Jax and Melbourne is Daytona. I don't recall any military installations in the area. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm just wondering if it has anything to with the G8 meetings some 100 miles to the north.

I've heard the shutting down of St. Simons and Sea Island is a fiasco. I'd be wary of caching anywhere along the coast Georgia the next few days. They've even shut down private boating in Savannah and around Sea Island.

More info - http://www.g8usa.gov

I really would like to know wtf the DOD thinks they are doing, a 10 day outage of 2 vital resources (well more like 1 1/2) is no minor thing. I mean come on, do you know how many people could be affected by a CELL Phone outtage. Especialy because they arent even willing to ly to use about why they are doing it. This is one great reason why I do NOT trust our government at all.

From what I've read, the Coast Guard/DoD is doing tests with GPS jamming capabilities several miles off the coast of Florida between Melbourne and Jacksonville, as well as areas off Cape Hatteras, NC. Naval Station Mayport is along the coast at Jacksonville, though I'm not familiar with any other military bases in those areas (not counting Coast Guard stations, of course.) The jamming is supposed to be well offshore, not right on the beach or over land (which is a good thing, since NEFGA is having an event aways inland this Saturday.)

I don't think it has anything to do with the G8 summit. Local news crews here in Jax have been devoting half their air time over the last two weeks to covering this event (the rest is spent on Reagan's death and funeral), and the summit was scheduled to end today. As interesting as it may be to have so many world leaders so close to my home, I'll be happy when the reporters come home and discuss a few other topics on the news. B)

I really would like to know wtf the DOD thinks they are doing, a 10 day outage of 2 vital resources (well more like 1 1/2) is no minor thing. I mean come on, do you know how many people could be affected by a CELL Phone outtage. Especialy because they arent even willing to ly to use about why they are doing it. This is one great reason why I do NOT trust our government at all.

Sometimes watching out for us, like government is supposed to. I really wouldn't get too concerned about Big Brother over this test.

We were speculating that these "tests" may be due to the G8 summit in Georgia.

Speculation? No not at all as basically there are several areas with semi regular active NANU's and GPS Service Interruptions

Kerry, that's a great search & find. I had looked around the Coast Guard website and found nothing.

Ultimately, as we all know, the GPS first priority is for US government use and the ability to restrict the use by others is essential. But now I'm curious to see, based on those exact schedules you found, what effect it will actually have on measurements.

We'll see what effects First Coast geocachers experience...

Maybe the interruption will be on account of the sky falling. Watch out for black helicopters.

B)B)B)B)B):lol:B)

B)