Mapsend Topo

xmashl

I just got my Meridian Platnium and a copy MapSend Topo 4.20. I live in a small town on the north coast of Oregon, and the streets and POI's, so far, seem fairly accurate. However, the quality of the topographic data in the area of my hometown seem inaccurate. Most of the town lies on a narrow flat plane next to the ocean that does not raise above 25ft, however the topographic data shows the location of my home 40 feet above sea level. It also shows a 40ft contour line going into the ocean where there is a flat beach. The topography in the area surrounding the town is fairly rugged (1000+ ft. headlands).

My questions are: In general, what is the quality of the topographical data in this package? From where did they derive the topographical data? Is there any third party software out there that can offer the same functionality as MapSend Topo?

NG Topo uses scanned quad maps, so they are as "visually" accurate as you can get.

The downloadable (into GPSr) maps are digitized and the resolution is reduced so that they will find into memory of the GPSr. This reduction in resolution introduces error. AS such the downloadable maps are generally "good enough" but those resolution errors generate the kind of thing you experienced.

A topo line going into the ocean is an interesting item! In most places on this planet, geology and hydrology would conspire against that!

I believe the topo data, along with the street data, came from the public-domain TIGER database. My experience has shown it to be generally pretty good, and a plus to have loaded in the GPSr. However, when I need high quality topo information I turn to something else (either DeLorme Topo USA or NG Topo, with a nod to the latter).

If you want Topo data on your GPSr, MS Topo is about the only game in town for us for now.