Yuck! Snakes!?

Okay, I'm brand new to this sport. I was in Arizona with some friends who turned me on to this. So now I went out and ordered my GPS unit and started looking for caches in my local area (San Diego). But I always read about people seeing rattle snakes or just plane ole yucky snakes.

So my questions are: Is it common for people to go hiking on maintained trails and run into snakes? What time of day are people likely to run into snakes? What's the best time of year to go geocaching and not run into snakes?

Has anyone caught on that I hate snakes?

Anyones help would be most greatful. Thanks :lol:

We have wander around these parts of northern AZ & southern UT. for close to 25 years now and we see maybe 1 or 2 snakes (of all kinds) in years time. Average of rattlesnakes is less than 1 a year.

We've seen them in 50 degree weather up to 105+ degrees.

We actually see more snakes on the roads then when we're hiking!

Just keep your eyes open and tap before reaching into a dark place.

I'd worry more about a bad sunburn (with blisters) and heat stroke, than about snakes.

John

I'm no fan of snakes either. In my first 100 days of geocaching though, I have encountered 7 of them! There are several in my log pictures. None gave me any trouble and I saw all of them from 10' away or more.

The fact is that a lot of caches are in places snakes like - around rocks, streams, parks and trails, etc. In areas like urban neighborhood parks, where there are people around most of the time, the snakes prefer to stay away.

The local rattler warning signs around here say that their type become active once the weather gets around 70 degrees, so they're pretty dormant in the rainy season here where I am in the bay area. The varieties of snakes where you are could be different.

If you practice common sense in places snakes may be - stay alert for them, don't go sticking your hand or feet under rocks or whatnot without checking first, you should be just fine. Like most personal safety issues, a little education and staying aware of your surroundings is usually a great defense because you can avoid problems rather than be surprised by them.

A walking staff can add some peace of mind as well. Just don't let the fact that snakes are out there in nature keep you away. Go have fun!

Thanks guys for grossing me out. :lol:

I hated those pictures.

Our team consists of a sissy girl :lol: (me) and my 7 year old son.

Do you think I have a smaller chance of running into a snake during fall & winter?

Please no more yucky pictures :lol:

There is always a chance of running into rattlesnakes in San Diego, even on maintained trails. We've only encountered one (heard but not seen) in two years of caching, but plenty of people before and after us at places we've been have seen snakes that we didn't see there. Be wary of warm, rocky areas. Put your stick into a hidey-hole instead of your hand. Don't make a bigger deal of it than it is -- I don't like snakes either, but they're not lurking behind every rock and you aren't at all likely to be bitten. Just stay aware of your surroundings. Don't let your boy run ahead recklessly in a snake-happy area.

We see lizards all the time, but have never had a visual on any kind of snake at all.

If you cache near streams or in the woods or places where snakes are somewhat less prevalent, you will inevitably encounter poison oak. Be sure you can identify it before you risk walking in it. Personally, I fear it more than I fear snakes!

If you cache near streams or in the woods or places where snakes are somewhat less prevalent, you will inevitably encounter poison oak. Be sure you can identify it before you risk walking in it. Personally, I fear it more than I fear snakes!

Poison oak is very real.

Don't forget about Africanized Bees too. and earthquakes. and downed powerlines. and lions and tigers and bears...

:lol:

A walking stick is a great idea. I'm feeling a little better about it now.

But now someone brought up Poison Oak? Oh, great! I have no idea what that stuff looks like. Can someone send me a picture?

Lions, tigers, & Bears? B) Oh my!

And I'll be sure to talk to my son about being a little careful when searching for the caches.

Thanks!

A walking stick is a great idea. I'm feeling a little better about it now.

But now someone brought up Poison Oak? Oh, great! I have no idea what that stuff looks like. Can someone send me a picture?

Lions, tigers, & Bears? :lol: Oh my!

And I'll be sure to talk to my son about being a little careful when searching for the caches.

Thanks!

Leaflets three, leave it be. Poison oak can look very different depending on the season and location. It's often bright red, bright green, or some combination of the two. The leaves are typically glossy. Put "poison oak" in at images.google.com and you'll get a nice variety of pictures (including some of the results if you get a nasty case!). http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/1741453_200.jpg is alllll poison oak. If you hike in Rose or San Clemente canyons, you'll see plenty of specimens.

And Dan-oh, I was (viciously! I swear!) attacked by a bee at your cache B). Okay, a wasp. Which wasn't Africanized or Anythingized, but must have been in a very foul mood. I found being stung far more agreeable than having another case of poison oak... (but not to worry, Pirates, if you just wash thoroughly afterward, or possibly bring along some Tecnu or ivy-wipes, you can pretty well avoid getting a rash. I was immune for two years, became very careless, and discovered the hard way that I was finally primed to have a reaction!).

The only snake I have come across caching was as afraid of me as I was of it. It wasn't a rattler, tho. I usually carry a hiking stick and tap it on the ground if I have a case of the willies. I also use it to stick in various holes when looking for caches.

There is a forum titled Poison Oak that you may find interesting. I also take leather gloves with me for PO and for stickery plants, which there isn't a shortage of in SD.

Be careful, especially if walking in The Garden of the Gods here in Colorado Springs, loaded with rattlesnakes. Have run into many while caching, rattlers and etc. Was in one private area that allows hikers in and saw a tale of a garden snake under a rock in the middle of the stream and when I went and turned it over it was feediing on a dead trout under the rock! YUCK. Have already met six snakes on the trail this summer so far.

As pointed out earlier, don't make a bigger thing of it than it needs to be. Anytime you go out on park/hiking trails in SoCal you run the risk of encountering a snake. I've lived around here for 18 years and have yet to see (or hear) a rattlesnake, despite all the hiking and walking I've done in rattler-friendly country. I'm almost disappointed, to be honest - I'd love to see one some day.

Should you be worried? No. Should you be aware and cautious? Yes.

I've seen a lot more snakes in the early days of caching, of course then we were chasing caches in in a lot of way out places, Lagunas Mcginty Mt. Cowles Mt. etc. etc.

Anytime your in the boonies you take a chance of running across one, just use common sense. I would worry about poison oak more then I would snakes.

:laughing:

Edited by vagabond

I agree...I am a true snakophobe too <_< but in reality have only seen a couple in all my 660+ cache finds. I am starting to get a little more comfortable walking in snakeland, especially with my extendable stick...which I whack like crazy in front of me if I'm a little nervous!! :laughing:

OK, whimpy maybe, but I will not let my fear of snakes keep me from the love of the outdoors!

The only snake I have come across caching was as afraid of me as I was of it. It wasn't a rattler, tho. I usually carry a hiking stick and tap it on the ground if I have a case of the willies. I also use it to stick in various holes when looking for caches.

There is a forum titled Poison Oak that you may find interesting. I also take leather gloves with me for PO and for stickery plants, which there isn't a shortage of in SD.

I'm an expert on the poison oak topic.

TechNu makes three products. Pre-exposure Lotion, Post Exposure Soap, and Post Infection Lotion. Use them all and follow the instruction on the label faithfully and enjoy your outings.

As further precaution, wash face, hands, and arms with Fels Naptha soap as soon as you get out of the woods.

Take baby wipes with you in your pack. Use these on all exposed skin areas if you are going to be away from washroom/water for more than an hour. Be sure to reapply the TechNu Pre-exposure Lotion that you have wiped off.

If you have gotten poison oak rash and are in the deep misery mode, get into the shower and begin to turn up the heat little by little until you cant stand it any more, then turn it up a little more. In about 20 minutes the body quits producing the histamines that cause the itching. You can get as much as 8 hours relief this way. Then, take the hot water torture again...for another 8 hours of relief and so on.

Then, keep on posting those smileys!