Garmin Emap Deluxe or Extrex Summit

Guest thong1

Guest thong1

I recenlty acquired a gift certificate for RandMcNally and would like to get a GPS. I plan on using the GPS mostly for road trips and such. Which is better the cheaper Etrex Summit $250 or the Emap Deluxe $350?

Guest shujin

I've had the Emap for a couple of years and along with the Metroguide from Mapsource it works great for traveling. I recently just tried it on a cache and was amazed at getting to within 6 feet of it.

Guest kbraband

I bought my eMap in April 2000 after considering the eTrex. The thing that pushed me to the higher price eMap was the ability to see where you are on a map. I don't think the new eTrex does this, does it? I may be wrong. Anyway, the road map feature is tremendous. If you see it on an eMap you'll be sorry you didn't spend the extra money to get it.

Guest thong1

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I defnitely want to see where I am on the map. I'm leaning towards the Emap Deluxe.

Do you know if it works with Microsoft Sidestreet or any other mapping software. It would be nice if I can hook it up to my laptop and see myself use the screen on my laptop.

Guest Moun10Bike

thong1, you want also want to consider the eTrex Vista, which is due out in the next couple of weeks. It accepts all of the MapSource data (downloadable maps), holds 24 MB of data, and is packaged into the eTrex body style (which is more waterproof than the eMap). See http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/

I have been successful using all of my Garmin GPSs with Microsoft Streets and Trips and DeLorme Street Atlas, as well as OziExplorer, Fugawi, and many others.

Guest Anton

Greetings,

I like my Garmin 12MAP: waterproof, takes map downloads for the Garmin MapSource CDs, shows maps on the screen, has jack for an external antenna (great in a car!), and has the position averaging function you need for marking a cache (not in eTrex or eMap). Yes, is costs more, about $325-350, but it's a really solid unit.

The eTrex Vista, due out soon, is waterproof, has a ton of memory, an electronic compass and a barometer. But you already have a compass (right?) that doesn't need batteries. And how many times to you really need a barometer?

When I want to know the weather, I use a $20 NOAA weather radio (Radio Shack), or a ham radio. If you get into geocaching, you're going to like having the position averaging function...unless you don't plant caches.

The Garmin III-plus is very nice, too, but it's shaped like a prism. I like the flat handheld shape of the Garmin 12MAP - fits in your pocket.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest daviskw

I have both the etrex and a emap. If I need directions to and from the area in my car I use the emap and Mapsource. But once I am on the trail I use the etrex for a number of reasons. First it is mostly waterproof, second it is small easy to use and read. I don't know about anyone else, but the Mapsource Topo maps are not very detailed. They are also hard to see in an emap and harder to move around on. I find I do not use them on the trail. A downloaded route to the etrex works just as well. If I am in an area that requires detailed map work I bring a topo and compass.

Butch

Guest kbraband

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

I like my Garmin 12MAP: waterproof, takes map downloads for the Garmin MapSource CDs, shows maps on the screen, has jack for an external antenna (great in a car!), and has the position averaging function you need for marking a cache (not in eTrex or eMap).

Anton, just to set the record straight... the eMap does have the position averaging feature.

Guest thong1

I got a $250 gift certificate for RandMcNally and I really only have two choices in Garmin GPS. The $350 eMap Deluxe or the $250 Etrex Summit. I'm looking into GeoCaching but mainly I will use it for road trips and such.

I want something I can hook up to my laptop and see where I am on the map. I thought about those $100 units but I also want something I can carry with me, when I do some Geocaching.

Guest RyckZ

I have an e-Map Deluxe and love it. Prior to the e-Map I used a friend's III+. But one word of caution. The Deluxe comes with an 8meg chip. It will hold only one MapSource region at a time. Since were I live is on the border of two regions, 8 was not enough. So now I have an 32meg for local use and the 8meg for further destinations. So I just swap chips and do not have to erase my 32 unless my destination also needs more than one region.

I do wish it was more waterproof, but I can always put it in a waterproof case like those sold at marine stores, and you can still push the buttons.

Guest thong1

Was trying to explain to the other folks that I only have two choices. Been reading up on GPSs and got more confuesed than ever. Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered the eMap deluxe.

quote:
Originally posted by shujin:

Didn't we just cover this???

Oh I see, you wanted your post at the top again.

Guest Quinnow

You might also want to consider the garmin III plus as it has the option to hook up an external ant that you could place on top of your car, and it as well comes with great mapping. I have found mine to be very accurate(not that all the others are not)you can find them for around 289.00 if you look hard enough.But whatever your choice I wish you luck and have fun!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.

Navicache.com