Should I Upgrade To Etrex Legend?

I currently have a Garmin Etrex unit and was thinking on upgrading to the Legend.

I would like some comments from someone that has used both.

A few questions I would like to know in regards to the Legend model are.

1. Is the battery time remaining feature gone?

2. On the screen shots all I can see is the map screen. Does the Legend also have the screen with just the arrow and compass like the Etrex.

3. I've heard the screen is harder to read than on the Etrex, is this true?

4. How does the battery life compare?

5. Do the base maps have most state routes or only Interstates?

Thanks in advance

Eric K

P.S. I am only interested in another Garmin so please don't turn this into a Garmin vs. Magellan debate. I'm ONLY interested in answers on the Etrex Legend.

Edited by Eric K
I currently have a Garmin Etrex unit and was thinking on upgrading to the Legend.

Well, I've used the Venture and the Legend, so I can at least comment on some of it.

1.  Is the battery time remaining feature gone?

I've never used a "Battery time remaining" feature, so I don't know if it's there or not. I just look at the battery icon. When it shows low charge, I'll be sure to bring an extra set with me.

2.  On the screen shots all I can see is the map screen.  Does the Legend also have the screen with just the arrow and compass like the Etrex.

Yes. I prefer using the map screen anyway, but to each his own.

3.  I've heard the screen is harder to read than on the Etrex, is this true?

The Legend has better screen resolution, so the text can be smaller. Some people prefer using 800x600 on their computer monitors, I prefer 1024 or higher. Smaller text, but more stuff fits on the screen.

4.  How does the batter life compare?

I get roughly 20 hours out of a set of batteries.

5.  Does the base maps have most state routes or only Interstates?

The basemaps have main roads, but not much detail beyond that. They also aren't incredibly accurate, more like the old shapefile maps that used to be on this site. Also, I found that state borders can be off by 1/4 mile! I ran into this at the Colorado/New Mexico border last weekend.

I have only use the yellow etrex once but i really like my legend

i agree with Team GPSaxophone and get about 20 hrs and only use the battery indicator but even before i bought metroguide the basemap wasnt that bad in my area.

ps: if you know anyone with mapsource product, have them turn off the detail and what is left is the basemap that will come with your unit, that way you can decide if its worth it.

1. Is the battery time remaining feature gone?

2. On the screen shots all I can see is the map screen. Does the Legend also have the screen with just the arrow and compass like the Etrex.

3. I've heard the screen is harder to read than on the Etrex, is this true?

4. How does the battery life compare?

5. Do the base maps have most state routes or only Interstates?

Thanks in advance

Eric K

P.S. I am only interested in another Garmin so please don't turn this into a Garmin vs. Magellan debate. I'm ONLY interested in answers on the Etrex Legend.

1. I never used it. I just look at the little battery icon.

2. Yes it does.

3. I never had a problem reading the screen on my Legend. Of course now I have a 60cs and it makes reading the screen MUCH easier. :lol:

4. The battery life seemed fine/normal to me.

5. The basemaps have most main/large roads but for very rural areas and for neighborhood streets, sometimes they would be missing. :lol:

Here is a link to the Legend Users Manual.

Legend Users Manual

The Basemap is not very useful,but buying Metroguide is useful.

Seatrout

PS I am having DSL connection problems,so if I do not reply again I am not ignoring

your posts.

So, I take it the manual is overkill? I'm one of those lazy people that like to "open the box and go".

I take it the operation can't be to different from the Etrex.

Here is a link to the Legend Users Manual.

Legend Users Manual

The Basemap is not very useful,but buying Metroguide is useful.

Seatrout

PS I am having DSL connection problems,so if I do not reply again I  am not ignoring

your posts.

So, I take it the manual is overkill? I'm one of those lazy people that like to "open the box and go".

I take it the operation can't be to different from the Etrex.

The ETrex line all have the same buttons, so I expect they operate pretty much the same. The more expensive the model you choose, the more features it has.

The ETrex line all have the same buttons, so I expect they operate pretty much the same. The more expensive the model you choose, the more features it has.

The yellow etrex does not have the pointer stick (cursor), so the buttons do function slightly differently between the legend and the base etrex.

Having used both, I am very happy with my Legend.

AJK

Does the Legend and Vista come with the same basemaps?

I did a side by side comparison on Garmins web page but it isn't really clear if the Vista has the same maps built in.

Yes, the legend and vista have the same default basemaps.

The one feature that I really like in the vista is the electronic compass. Since the electronic compass does increase battery usage, I generally leave it off until within a hundred yards or so of the cache. I then turn the electronic compass on so that I can get more accurate bearings to the cache location without having to remain moving. It's also nice to not have to deal with the correction of magnetic/true north. The electronic compass alone may not be worth the extra price of the vista, but it sure is a nice feature to not have to use a traditional compass for this sort of thing.

I do, however, still carry a traditional compass in my cache-pack in case some sort of emergency arises and I run out of batteries...

So, I take it the manual is overkill?

Funny, you have all these questions. Someone gives you the link to the online manual and you say "So, I take it the manual is overkill". :lol:

No, the manual is not overkill.

Take a couple of minutes and read it. :lol:

I just don't get some people...... B)

I'm one of those lazy people that like to "open the box and go".

Lazy? Ya, right sure, what ever.... :lol:

I had the Etrex for a year and my Legend for 6 months, if I had to do it over I would have saved my money on the Legend and kept my Etrex. The biggest difference with the two is that the Legend is WAAS enabled which is SUPPOSED to be more accurate than the Etrex. I really see no difference in the two. I found my Etrex to be very easy to use(althought the Legend is easier for inputing coordinates into).

To answer your questions:

1. Is the battery time remaining feature gone? NO it is still there

2. On the screen shots all I can see is the map screen. Does the Legend also have the screen with just the arrow and compass like the Etrex. There is a map on ETrex that shows you the city you are in(or need to go to) but for me this is useless because I cache locally anyways...there is an upgrade to add maps but I found this too costly

3. I've heard the screen is harder to read than on the Etrex, is this true? No really, the screen is very similar

4. How does the battery life compare? A get a little better battery life with my Legend

5. Do the base maps have most state routes or only Interstates? I dont have a base map, I think that is an extra, unless you are talking about the maps that come along with the Legend, in that case I only have cities, but no highways or onterstates are listed.

E-mail me with any other questions.

Nickie

I have had both and now after the Legend broke, I just recently upgraded to a 60C. I liked my legend because of the maps. The ability to find some place like a nearby city or points of interest were the greatest use to me. The resolution is better on the legend so the letters and numbers are smaller and depending on where and how you use it, it may be more difficult to see. I often used it in the car and motorcycle and found sometimes hard to read. Overall I did like it but after having the 60c I see that the map screen on the legend was too small. Plus the 8 mb memory of the legend was quite small and I was amazed at how much I could fit on it. I could fit most of central florida and this state is much bigger than you would think.