Bug Owner De-listing A Tb From A Cache?

MOCKBA

Got a strange problem today. A TB owner deleted my TB logs and moved his bug to "Unknown location", even though the bug is doing well in the cache I left it (which is a pretty nice cache, even featured in Today's Cacher).

Every now and then we hear about impolite or vengeaful cache owners deleting cache logs, but it's the first time I hear about TB owners doing this. What is the point? To decrease the chances that this little bug will ever be found or moved?

The owner replied to my inquiry that "We decided to re-release "Footloose!" because of the extremely remote location it was left in". (Indeed, the current decription of the bug points out that it shouldn't be left in difficult caches, but at the time when I grabbed it, there was no such clause on the bug's page).

I understand that the owner is unhappy that his bug has been stranded in the snows for two months ... but does this warrant un-listing the TB?

Can he even re-release the bug if its spare dogtag has been already used?

What happens if a bug is re-released while the original dogtag is still in circulation?

And is there any remedy for these kinds of abuse of owners' privilleges by TB owners (say, if one purposedly releases several replicas of the same bugtag at the same time to confuse one's fellow cachers?)

Edited by MOCKBA

This Travel Bug "Footloose!" had a laminated goal tag attached to it that clearly stated the bugs goals. As well as saying "Please, do not put it in any remote, seldom visited caches" We added the tag when we re-released the bug after it was stolen after it's first release.

We bought the number for this bug and can release it as many times as needed.

We bought the number for this bug and can release it as many times as needed.

Although the logs will get confusing if there are multiple bugs out with the same number. If the bug _IS_ still out there in the cache, I'd recommend "dropping" it back onto the cache page and just letting it circulate.

This Travel Bug "Footloose!" had a laminated goal tag attached to it that clearly stated the bugs goals. As well as saying "Please, do not put it in any remote, seldom visited caches" We added the tag when we re-released the bug after it was stolen after it's first release.

Well apparently this wasn't true. I found the bug again since I wanted to double-check if I overlooked any important instructions on its laminated tagsheet.

So: the laminated tag just says things like 'move me along, have fun' and nothing whatsoever about remote caches.

So while I am planning to leave in a not-so-remote cache this time :smile: ... I log it again in and out of the Royal Treasure - Top of Utah cache to restore the mileage ... in less than 2 minutes, I receive a log deletion notice from the owner. Again. Pray tell me, how did I manage to piss you off now?

And if you really want to re-release it yet again, why do you allow others to log its moves?

You cant help someone that doesnt want to be helped. If you have the bug now, I would suggest re-releasing somewhere else and try to log it there. I cant imagine the number being re-released somewhere else by the owner with the current bug still in action. Oh well....<_<

Some people have to realize that geocaching is, in fact, a game. Sometimes things dont go the way you planned. If your bug makes a wrong move by the fate of another, at least it moved. You can alter the intentions of the entire world to move a metal tag along.

Its probably just a case of miscommunication and hopefully you and the owner find a peacefull resolution. :huh:

I would shoot video beheading the bug(cutting the tag off) and then burning it in a ritualistic manner and posting a link to it here so we all can see. <_<

I would say thats pretty rude, if it was one of my bugs and i didnt want it there i would just ask the person who dropped it there to get it and place it in another cache, or write a note on the cache listing asking for it to be retrieved.