Jeep Tb Manners

Fitzdawg

I managed to be the first person to get to a cache where one of the new Jeep TB's were placed this morning, and if I'm not mistaken, I beat another cacher there by about 5 minutes. Was it rude/mean to not tell him that I had just grabbed the TB? I was afraid that any info I gave him would tip off the location of a very aggressively hidden cache, besides that fact that I assumed that since I was pretty sure he was holding a GPSr, it was his first time to this cache, so I didn't want to spoil his search. Having that in mind, I sort of figured that with all of the hype surrounding these TB's, you could sort of expect it to be like a FTF competition.

I had someone pick up TWO out of the cache I placed 4 in. I was so mad!

If the person left TWO trade items then there isn't a problem... Otherwise, that would be greedy.

Yes, he did trade for them, but I still think it's rude to take them all. These are supposed to be distributed to other cachers, not just one cacher.

edit: BTW, this is post#7777 :D

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Given that each of the 4000 is "different" because they are assigned different numbers, then grabbing both and moving them is not even that egregious a social faux pas (as long as fairly traded). How is someone attempting to get all 4000 (or even some user-defined subset) supposed to do so without grabbing every one they see? Much like all sorts of TBs and geocaches, first come, first served. If a cache is archived before cacher XYZ could get to it and log it, is it the system's fault that XYZ was too slow? If this were any other pair of "normal" TBs, would there be anger or resentment at both being moved?

Just be glad when whoever takes two puts both back into circulation instead of mysteriously "losing" one to their trophy case...the distributions will normalize out and we'll start seeing enough of these things soon enough. There's no need to consider it rude to trade out 2 at once. He's only playing by the rules and hardly outside good conscience.

Given that each of the 4000 is "different" because they are assigned different numbers, then grabbing both and moving them is not even that egregious a social faux pas (as long as fairly traded). How is someone attempting to get all 4000 (or even some user-defined subset) supposed to do so without grabbing every one they see? Much like all sorts of TBs and geocaches, first come, first served. If a cache is archived before cacher XYZ could get to it and log it, is it the system's fault that XYZ was too slow? If this were any other pair of "normal" TBs, would there be anger or resentment at both being moved?

Just be glad when whoever takes two puts both back into circulation instead of mysteriously "losing" one to their trophy case...the distributions will normalize out and we'll start seeing enough of these things soon enough. There's no need to consider it rude to trade out 2 at once. He's only playing by the rules and hardly outside good conscience.

I agree. If there are two, and he takes them both, he is out of line if he doesn't then move them elsewhere. If he does, then he is simply spreading the bugs around just like someone taking two travel bugs from a cache. Its OK in my book as long as they keep moving.

YJTB's have become an obsession amongst the the Geeks. We have an etiquette(sp) question. If YJTB's show up in caches we have already logged, can we go get them? Trading and logging a note of course. :)

I don't see why not, I've seen posts before where people were hoping to get a tb, but someone else got it.

It's better than going to get a new prize that was left in a cache, as one around here mentions. That's just petty to me...

I had someone pick up TWO out of the cache I placed 4 in. I was so mad!

I have to defend myself to this qoute. There were supposedly 4 in the cache. When I got there, only three remained, even though nobody had logged the "missing Jeep". Yes, I did grab two, to "spread the wealth", I suppose. With the first Jeep TB I picked up a day or two before, I travelled over 500 miles R/T to a VERY out of the way, overnight cache to place it. I thought that was OK considering there are so many multiple sightings in and around the city area. The two I have in my possesion now will be given the same care, yes, they were logged right away, AND a courtesy email was sent to the cache owner advising them of the missing Jeep and missing log entry for whom ever pick it up. Now it seems that the fourth Jeep has been swiped as well. I still stand by my desision to grab two, considering the caches I have planned for them to be place in. I would be mad at the people who grabbed the other two as "souvenoiers without logging them....

Amazing how the jeep deal is bringing the problem of vanishing Travel bugs to the angry attention of people who normally poo-poo the problem.

Taking TB's and keeping them, moving them with out a log in any of the locations, taking all of the TB's from a TB hotel, all are existing problems with the travel bug.

About the best way I can think of to fix the problem for the jeeps is to make contest entry contingent on logging the movement of a jeep on the GC site. This would incentivize players to move them and tell people where they put them.

Fireman78: I don't think there's anything wrong in picking up multiple YJTBs if you are indeed going to move them.

I actually got notified yesterday at 8:45pm that someone near me had one. I emailed him back and forth and drove to his house at 9pm to get it. He left it in an ammo can on his porch. I got there in 30 mins and opened the ammo can and there were 2 jeeps. I only took one, left a GPS oval sticker and a geo button. As I was closing the cache, he came outside. He asked if I took both and said no. He said go ahead, so I did.

Now he didn't ask for a trade, but I felt since he was so generous in offering the TB in the 1st place it was the least I could do. Second, I'm going to move them along, which is the entire point of a TB. Just like a geocoin or a FTF prize or even a traveling cache, you need to get there. If you don't, you missed that opportunity, but as long as everyone moves the TBs, there should be MANY more opportunities for everyone to log and move one.

Unless something happens, at least 1 of the TB's I received will be placed this weekend. The other I might hold onto to transfer to a caching buddy so he can log it, and possibly have it placed for his grandkids 100th find (which is coming up) so they can log it too. Since they are all avid cachers, I have no doubt that the TB will again be placed in a cache for others to find, log, enjoy and pass on! I can just hope for the sake of all cachers, that other cachers would do the same.

Amazing how the jeep deal is bringing the problem of vanishing Travel bugs to the angry attention of people who normally poo-poo the problem.

Taking TB's and keeping them, moving them with out a log in any of the locations, taking all of the TB's from a TB hotel, all are existing problems with the travel bug.

About the best way I can think of to fix the problem for the jeeps is to make contest entry contingent on logging the movement of a jeep on the GC site. This would incentivize players to move them and tell people where they put them.

I totally agree with that, as a matter of fact, I thought that is how the contest was played. I thought you were able to enter one picture/essay PER Jeep , Jeremy let me know that in fact you only get one log per entry period. Regardless of how many Jeeps you grab. I don't believe it's stated well in the contest page. Oh well. Hey, I'm just trying to have fun and be legit about everything. I'm also "one of those guys" who picks up trash while caching-- what a bad guy! ;)

Fireman78: I don't think there's anything wrong in picking up multiple YJTBs if you are indeed going to move them.

I actually got notified yesterday at 8:45pm that someone near me had one. I emailed him back and forth and drove to his house at 9pm to get it. He left it in an ammo can on his porch. I got there in 30 mins and opened the ammo can and there were 2 jeeps. I only took one, left a GPS oval sticker and a geo button. As I was closing the cache, he came outside. He asked if I took both and said no. He said go ahead, so I did.

Now he didn't ask for a trade, but I felt since he was so generous in offering the TB in the 1st place it was the least I could do. Second, I'm going to move them along, which is the entire point of a TB. Just like a geocoin or a FTF prize or even a traveling cache, you need to get there. If you don't, you missed that opportunity, but as long as everyone moves the TBs, there should be MANY more opportunities for everyone to log and move one.

Unless something happens, at least 1 of the TB's I received will be placed this weekend. The other I might hold onto to transfer to a caching buddy so he can log it, and possibly have it placed for his grandkids 100th find (which is coming up) so they can log it too. Since they are all avid cachers, I have no doubt that the TB will again be placed in a cache for others to find, log, enjoy and pass on! I can just hope for the sake of all cachers, that other cachers would do the same.

;) Thanks for the support. and yes, I did leave a couple of trade items as well. As a matter of fact, yesterday my daughter and I grabbed a cache by the airport (spur of the moment) for us. We had our GPS, but nothing to trade, I explaind to her that we could only sign the log, and couldn;t take anything today.. hey... if I can teach ethics to a 4 year old............ :)

With 4000 of them being placed all over the country, Im sure theyll be plenty to go around.

I disagree. I think they're going to all disappear within the month. 4K was nowhere near enough. These are just going to boldly illustrate how broken the travel bug feature really is. I am always running across geocachers who cannot figure out the feature. Travel bug pickup HAS to be integrated with the cache log page. Period.

About the best way I can think of to fix the problem for the jeeps is to make contest entry contingent on logging the movement of a jeep on the GC site.  This would incentivize players to move them and tell people where they put them.

I totally agree with that, as a matter of fact, I thought that is how the contest was played. I thought you were able to enter one picture/essay PER Jeep , Jeremy let me know that in fact you only get one log per entry period. Regardless of how many Jeeps you grab. I don't believe it's stated well in the contest page. Oh well. Hey, I'm just trying to have fun and be legit about everything. I'm also "one of those guys" who picks up trash while caching-- what a bad guy! ;)

Yes, the contest rules should be stated better. This is where our misunderstanding came from. I knew you didn't need to grab more than one to enter the contest, but you didn't. We read the same rules page, I just read it a bit differently than you. I'm not mad at you for taking the two bugs, I'm mad at the people that took 2 and didn't log them.

About the best way I can think of to fix the problem for the jeeps is to make contest entry contingent on logging the movement of a jeep on the GC site.  This would incentivize players to move them and tell people where they put them.

Yes, the contest rules should be stated better. This is where our misunderstanding came from. I knew you didn't need to grab more than one to enter the contest, but you didn't. We read the same rules page, I just read it a bit differently than you. I'm not mad at you for taking the two bugs, I'm mad at the people that took 2 and didn't log them.

:) It's all good! :D

I will have to go back and re-read the contest because I was able to enter online yesterday without a YJTB.

Three contests: Jeep Drawing, Essay Contest, Photo Contest.

Jeep Drawing: No YJTB needed.

Essay/Photo Contest: YJTB find needed. Only one find PLUS Essay OR Photo will count to the Essay OR Photo contest per entry period. All other finds are just for fun and can still be logged. There are multiple entry periods. You can submit an Essay AND a Photo per entry period. So the maximum number of entries you can have is 12 (6 periods, an essay and photo for each) which if I understand correctly will require a minimum of 6 finds (essay AND photo per find if you want) or a maximum of 12 finds. BUT you can log more than 12 finds (just not submit essays or photos with them for the contest).

I totally agree with that, as a matter of fact, I thought that is how the contest was played. I thought you were able to enter one picture/essay PER Jeep , Jeremy let me know that in fact you only get one log per entry period. Regardless of how many Jeeps you grab. I don't believe it's stated well in the contest page. Oh well. Hey, I'm just trying to have fun and be legit about everything. I'm also "one of those guys" who picks up trash while caching-- what a bad guy! :unsure:

:blink: It's all good! :lol:

Actually, I am mad at you. I can't find your stupid nano-micro grain-of-rice-sized cache you hid in the grass under a bench :lol: