New London 24 Hr Record??

52 found with 14 DNFs (due to locked gates and muggles). Shunra had a blast! Kudos!

As I said, I think that 90+ caches are currently possible in the London area in 24 hours. My 43 were found in about 12 hours; the only reason I didn't find more was that I had to go to work and most of the others I had found on a previous trip.

Is there anyway of logging them onto a PDA and then straight onto the site at the end of the day?

I've got a PDA with net access via bluetooth to my mobile. I've tried to log them as we find them, but get an error message.

On other threads there is apparently a way of logging finds onto a PDA and then when you plug it back into the comp' it uploads your notes (as in GPX Sonar) automatically to the website..................... or am I talking rubbish?

The other threads were gobbildygook and I didn't want to look a pleb as they all seemed very knowledgeable!

The other threads were gobbildygook and I didn't want to look a pleb as they all seemed very knowledgeable!

NeilFord is probably your best bet. He is a demon when it comes to the technical aspects of caching and a very pleasant and helpful chap as well.

Look up NEILFORD (all one word) and you'll find his profile. Email him from there.

Good luck and post your findings for the uninitiated.

The Hokesters...

Edited by The Hokesters
52 found with 14 DNFs (due to locked gates and muggles). Shunra had a blast! Kudos!

As I said, I think that 90+ caches are currently possible in the London area in 24 hours. My 43 were found in about 12 hours; the only reason I didn't find more was that I had to go to work and most of the others I had found on a previous trip.

There were 21 hours between the first and the last of those 52 caches. In between, I also stopped for a total of maybe three hours for food and for checking my mail. I did everything on foot, except for one metro ride when I got stuck with 2 miles to the nearest next cache, at some point. I also wasted some time on getting lost - the only map I was carrying was the brochure that came with the metro ticket.

I agree with Ozguff: if someone knows his way around London, doesn't mind just eating snacks on the go, wears sneakers rather than dress shoes to minimize blisters, and is in general even nuttier than me, 24 hours should allow for much more than what he and I managed to complete.

I agree with the comments about logging. Logging from the PC may produce more eloquent and interesting logs than logs keyed in on a PDA, but if you have to remember or base yourself on PDA records, even PC logs are going to be brief.

Thanks for the kudos! Yes, I had a blast, but some blisters too! :lol:

That's confirmed, Shunra is the current record holder, 52, up from Ozguff's 43.

I'd be interested in the DNFs, and the reasons why, shunra, could you mail them to me? I'm planning my own attempt later this month.

On the PDA issue, to my knowledge it isn't currently possible to upload from a PDA to the site, just to keep notes for logging later, although I have been emailed the authors of GSAK and Cache Mate respectively, and apparently they would like to add this feature but are waiting for a developers "sandbox" from GC to work on it.

My attempt later this month will be on a bicycle, so I'd be interested to know which caches I wouldn't be able to get to on the bike, even if I was pushing it. I'm also going to be staying in central London the night before and after the attempt.

My attempt later this month will be on a bicycle, so I'd be interested to know which caches I wouldn't be able to get to on the bike, even if I was pushing it.

I just checked all of the London area caches I found in my two trips (Jan/Feb and Mar/Apr). All of them are bike-able, as long as you don't mind leaving the bike outside a locked gate for a few minutes every now and then. (And depending on the time arrive you might need to carry/throw the bike over a fence or two...) (For instance, the caches in Regents Park are technically inaccessible after dark, but physically accessible as there is no force-field preventing entrance; a 3.5 foot fence is all that stands between you and many caches. And a bike would make the time needed to find them shorter.)

For the few caches where leaving the bike outside will be necessary I recommend a light, easy to open/close bike lock.

Sounds like fun!

NeilFord is probably your best bet. He is a demon when it comes to the technical aspects of caching and a very pleasant and helpful chap as well.

Look up NEILFORD (all one word) and you'll find his profile. Email him from there.

Good luck and post your findings for the uninitiated.

The Hokesters...

Blooming 'eck, that's a recommendaion and a half! :lol:

As mentioned by others, I don't think any of the PDA apps allow logging live.

Your best bet would be Pocket IE on a PPC machine, but I'm not sure how it would cope with the geocaching.com pages (I haven't actually tried).

Might actually get some caching done this weekend (been rather busy lately), so I'll have a play and see what's possible. Expect a report next week.

- Neil.

Re: PDA Logs Direct to GC.com

I know that this may save time, especially after a marathon caching session. However I think that writing a well-thought out log for a good/great cache is half of the fun! If you read any of my logs from my London and/or Hertfordshire sessions I hope you are not bored, even with some of the logs from the many micro finds along the way.

My guess is that what you "write" into your PDA would be pretty brief and succinct. (That is, variations on "TNLNSL.") My logs are part payment to the cache owner for hiding the cache and/or stocking it with trade items. (Even if I don't take anything.) Someone took the time and effort to hide the cache; the least I can do is to let them know something of my experience.

To each their own. And I do sometimes leave very brief on-line log entries. But if I have had an enjoyable time searching and finding the cache, especially during a marathon session, I like to write a little bit more. Just my tuppence!

Edited by OzGuff

geocaching.com on the pocketpc is awful and i've not managed to log anything with it - i tried with my wireless setup on my home lan just out of curiousity and gave up. personally my logs tend to look gibberish due to the handwriting recognition or me missing the keyboard pics as i'm walking back from the cache and typing in. However, thats enough to jog my memory when i do the full log online. I prefer to write a "story" of the find rather than what i took/left as its more personal and interesting for the people following on. This would take forever to do on a pda.

I often write up the cache logs almost "live" on a PDA - when I get back to the car (but I'm not normally trying to do 20+ in a day!). I have the advantage of a folding (stowaway) keyboard which attaches to the PDA and gives a full size keyboard when folded out - sign on to the Internet and you've almost got the full access you have at home, and no restictions on typing speed. The nice thing about logging caches as you go, even if it's just taking notes, is that the notes are fresh and give an immediate reaction rather than the more considered and boring version you might come up with later on.

Geocaching.com is not ideal for this really: a low-graphics, small cache-logging page would make it all much easier (key-in the waypoint in one box then write notes in the other). However, I've successfully logged caches directly from the PDA several times - with a little practice it's not too bad.

Well done Shunra, anyway - no chance of Seasider breaking your record either as he seems to be in retirement from mad cache-logging now!

HH

I often write up the cache logs almost "live" on a PDA - when I get back to the car (but I'm not normally trying to do 20+ in a day!). I have the advantage of a folding (stowaway) keyboard which attaches to the PDA and gives a full size keyboard when folded out - sign on to the Internet and you've almost got the full access you have at home, and no restictions on typing speed. The nice thing about logging caches as you go, even if it's just taking notes, is that the notes are fresh and give an immediate reaction rather than the more considered and boring version you might come up with later on.

Geocaching.com is not ideal for this really: a low-graphics, small cache-logging page would make it all much easier (key-in the waypoint in one box then write notes in the other). However, I've successfully logged caches directly from the PDA several times - with a little practice it's not too bad.

Well done Shunra, anyway - no chance of Seasider breaking your record either as he seems to be in retirement from mad cache-logging now!

HH

I've tried to do this, but when I've finished the log and try to send it an error message comes back :huh:

I carry a small Olympus digital voice recorder that I got for £20 on ebay. While walking back from the cache I record what I took, what I left and and other comments that will go in the log and then write it up when I get home. Without that I wouldn't be able to remember what I did at which cache. Anyway its another gadget and you can't have too many gadgets :huh:

I use my iPAQ wirelessly for logging sometimes. I don't have a problem with it, but I agree the a text only version would be good.

Many thanks to Shunra for the DNFs list, and Ozguff for the general advice. I will be researching both their trips in preparation for my own attempt soon.

All I've got to do now is work out how to attach everthing to the bike without having to leave it attached when I have to lock it.

I reckon I can travel light, ignore bugs & trades in the few regular caches, then I only have the GPSr and water to carry around. I'm also planning to use regular alkaline batteries so I don't have to carry the spent ones around all day.

I've also had a rather neat idea to avoid having to find a public toilet, but I won't go itno detail to avoid grossing anyone out.

I've also had a rather neat idea to avoid having to find a public toilet, but I won't go itno detail to avoid grossing anyone out.

I don't want to gross anyone out but I never had any problems with this area during my marathon night-caching sessions... :huh:

I carry a small Olympus digital voice recorder that I got for £20 on ebay. While walking back from the cache I record what I took, what I left and and other comments that will go in the log and then write it up when I get home. Without that I wouldn't be able to remember what I did at which cache.

there's a great idea. Do you have voice recognition software? All you'd then need to do it is convert your voice file into a text document, edit it, and copy-paste from it into the individual log boxes. Hmm.

VM, please do post a note in this thread when you have your marathon. I don't generally monitor the UK forums, and would miss it otherwise...

Edited by Shunra
I reckon I can travel light, ignore bugs & trades in the few regular caches, then I only have the GPSr and water to carry around. I'm also planning to use regular alkaline batteries so I don't have to carry the spent ones around all day.

Get a Camelbak water bladder rucksack Volvoman - that'll save carrying a water bottle.

I recommend the Camelbak Mule which has a great water to other carriables ratio.

Cheers

The Hokesters...

GPS coverage in central london is very patchy. I would strongly suggest pre-plotting all of the caches you intend to attempt onto an A-Z and possibly even consider taking a samll compass along with you (unless your spacial awareness of central london is very good).

Above all else, have fun and to quote an old TV show - "Be careful out there"

- Neil.