Volunteer Cache Reviewers, California

FreedomRider

Hello All,

I have just gotten involved with submitting caches and had a question regarding volunteer cache reviewers.

1: does the reviewer actually go to the site, or do they just make sure that the submission page is in order, not violating any guidelines etc...

2: What is required to become a volunteer reviewer?

3:The reported approval time for caches is 24 to 72 hours, but one of my caches took more than a week to approve and my newest has not been approved in over a week, with no notes or comments from the reviewers. Are the volunteer reviewers overworked?

4: If so, can I volunteer to be a reviewer? I am sure that the other volunteers are busy, if that is the case then I am willing to help out.

FreedomRider

Hello All,

I have just gotten involved with submitting caches and had a question regarding volunteer cache reviewers.

1: does the reviewer actually go to the site, or do they just make sure that the submission page is in order, not violating any guidelines etc...

I'm sure cache reviewers would love to visit each cache site, but there are only ~40 reviewers for the whole world. We'd need more than that number just to cover the US!

Let's just say that when they find an appropriate candidate, they'll let them know

3:The reported approval time for caches is 24 to 72 hours, but one of my caches  took more than a week to approve and my newest has not been approved in over a week, with no notes or comments from the reviewers. Are the volunteer reviewers overworked?

Reviewers like to go caching, too. Sometime they even go on vacation, or their real-lives get in the way. Remember that they are volunteers and will get to your cache as soon as they can. (You did remember to check "this cache is currently active" didn't you? If not, it won't show up on their list)

4: If so, can I volunteer to be a reviewer? I am sure that the other volunteers are busy, if that is the case then I am willing to help out.

See #2 above

It's serendipity to become a reviewer. Being in the right place at the right time. It helps if you have a known reputation for working in a local cache group, or with local land owners etc. to promote geocaching. However that's not the only criteria I'm sure. I also think it helps if you are not on the "Bad Boys List" not that there is a list.

I'm sure cache reviewers would love to visit each cache site, but there are only ~40 reviewers for the whole world. We'd need more than that number just to cover the US!

Let's just say that when they find an appropriate candidate, they'll let them know

Reviewers like to go caching, too. Sometime they even go on vacation, or their real-lives get in the way. Remember that they are volunteers and will get to your cache as soon as they can. (You did remember to check "this cache is currently active" didn't you? If not, it won't show up on their list)

Okay, this is my point. Cache reviewers are volunteers and they are busy....so why not allow some more members to be cache reviewers? I am busy too but I can take a small ammount of my time to help out. I would be happy to comply with a Q&A session from the admins to determine my adequacy. I think that with more people stepping up, we will have a more healthy, active, and not overworked community. Please count me in.

(You did remember to check "this cache is currently active" didn't you? If not, it won't show up on their list)

I have two new caches waiting, one for 5 days, both properly marked and ready to go. There have been *no* new caches approved within 20 miles of my home coords for over a week now, and I'm in the same zip as Marky so you know there are some others waiting. :lol: PhillipeGPS has also noted the lack of approvals in a post a few days ago.

NOTE: This is not a complaint. I'm just adding my observation that this doesn't appear to be confined to one user.

Actually, it's going to be fun to watch the potential FTFFF (First To Find Feeding Frenzy) if a large number of new caches all appear at once around here. I'm imagining Worker of Wood at his (alleged) workplace, using one hand to nervously click his browser's 'reload' button every 10 seconds, while the other shaky hand alternates between coffee, cigarettes, and wiping sweat from his brow. After a full week of waiting, there should be a pronounced facial tick, accompanied by a never-ending stream of curses and bizarre, psychotic rants. :back:

Okay, this is my point. Cache reviewers are volunteers and they are busy....so why not allow some more members to be cache reviewers? I am busy too but I can take a small ammount of my time to help out. I would be happy to comply with a Q&A session from the admins to determine my adequacy. I think that with more people stepping up, we will have a more healthy, active, and not overworked community. Please count me in.

When the approvers find themselves overworked, they discuss it privately with the Frogs, then pick someone they think will do a good job.

From what I've heard, you should know about caching restrictions and such in your home area, or be involved with your local group, or a whole host of things for them to recognize your "contributions" to the game.

What have you done with your free time?

California is one of just a handful of states that have two volunteer reviewers. Even so, it is by far the busiest state for the volume of new caches hidden.

Throwing six more volunteers into the mix wouldn't necessarily be a good solution. The volunteers are frequently the target of criticism, and sometimes justifiably so, for applying the cache listing guidelines inconsistently from one state to the next. The more people who need to be marching in a straight line, the greater the odds that someone will inadvertently be marching out of step. It is a demanding job with a lot of rules to remember and a lot of judgment and common sense being required. It isn't the type of job that you can do just one week out of every month, or just three days a week.

If and when a reviewer feels like they're in over their head with too much of a workload, day-in, day-out, we have a process whereby they can holler for help. We then either reallocate resources among the existing group, or we add a new volunteer. It is a deliberative process. Personally, when my territory expanded from 1.5 states to 3 states, I hit my limit when the volume of cache hides picked up with the spring weather. I asked for help, and a new reviewer was added to the team. Even so, it took two months for the new solution to go into effect.

Well, as one of the approvers from the area...

Yes, we are all volunteers that have been asked by geocaching.com to become approvers. As someone mentioned above, the biggest requirement for becoming an approver is to be active within the geocaching community. I can't stress how important that is. Become involved with a local geocaching organization, host geocaching events, participate with other geocachers by helping them out when they come to your area, etc... The other important thing to keep in mind is that the job of the reviewer is to make sure that cache submissions comply with the guidelines of geocaching. The best way to demonstrate that you know the guidelines is to follow them in your own cache placements, as well as helping out constructively on the forums and speaking with your local approver about the guidelines before you place a cache that may not quite comply with them all.

As far as adding more reviewers... That is always an ongoing issue. As geocaching becomes more popular, it is neccessary to add more reviewers. What we try to avoid at all costs is getting too many fingers in the pie. That is why we don't have 300 reviewers for the US. Too many people, too many opinions and too much confusion.

The other thing you want to keep in mind before offering to do the job is the amount of time it takes. In addition to reviewing caches, there are LOTS of emails to answer and act on, archiving disabled caches, investigating reported incidents, unarchiving caches, hand holding, etc... It's not uncommon for some approvers to put in 20-40 hours a week doing this. That is time that we could spend with our families, working, geocaching, etc... It's a fun job and the effort is worth it, but it is a HUGE commitment of time and energy.

If your caches still have not been approved, please feel free to send me an email via my profile and I'll be happy to look into them.

Good luck and happy caching!

Edit-- I see that Keystone has replied just before I did. I echo all of his comments as well. He tends to be a more eloquent speaker than I. (and a better speller!) :back:

Edited by SoCalAdmin

'What Have you done in you're free time?"

Well... That, once again is my point. In my free time, I have been geocaching and placing new caches, which are being approved after a week or more delay because the cache reviewers are overworked. I get the impression that the old addage "don't criticize if your'e not involved" is being used. If so, I am not sure what I am doing other than being involved. I geocache, place good and valid caches and participate in the discussion (ironically about being involved). Volunteering to be an integral part of the geocaching community through cache reviewing, event planning etc. is the only thing that keeps this place going, and I applaude all of that work. I will gladly find a place to fit in locally if that is required to "prove" my worth to the larger group. It would seem this is what's being intimated through some of the responses. I think geocaching is a fun and wonderful sport. I look forward to making it more so through my continued involvement. Again, let me know if I can do anything to help.

Edited by FreedomRider
'What Have you done in you're free time?"

Well... That, once again is my point. In my free time, I have been geocaching and placing new caches, which are being approved after a week or more delay because the cache reviewers are overworked. I get the impression that the old addage "don't criticize if your'e not involved" is being used. If so, I am not sure what I am doing other than being involved. I geocache, place good and valid caches and participate in the discussion (ironically about being involved). Volunteering to be an integral part of the geocaching community through cache reviewing, event planning etc. is the only thing that keeps this place going, and I applaude all of that work. I will gladly find a place to fit in locally if that is required to "prove" my worth to the larger group. It would seem this is what's being intimated through some of the responses. I think geocaching is a fun and wonderful sport. I look forward to making it more so through my continued involvement. Again, let me know if I can do anything to help.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was attacking you. It's sometimes hard to convey the right meaning in written text without writing an entire paragraph.

I will gladly find a place to fit in locally if that is required to "prove" my worth to the larger group. It would seem this is what's being intimated through some of the responses.

Heh, I think it was pretty explicit and unambiguous.

I was originally a bit surprised to see that not being part of a local group and attending local events meant that one was not considered to be actively involved in the geocaching community, but that's definitely the case.

- Dave

BTW, I'll be in SoCal the last week of July. Host an event for me? :back:

So-Cal'ers like pizza parties! Give us a few more specifics about when and where and we can set something up. :lol:

I'll be leaving Albuquerque Sunday July 25, arriving in San Diego Monday, July 26. Heading to Las Vegas with my Dad Wed-Sat (28-31). Coming back to the Inland Empire Sat-Mon (Jul 28-Aug 2) then heading home, arriving on Tues Aug 3rd.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
(You did remember to check "this cache is currently active" didn't you? If not, it won't show up on their list)

I have two new caches waiting, one for 5 days, both properly marked and ready to go. There have been *no* new caches approved within 20 miles of my home coords for over a week now, and I'm in the same zip as Marky so you know there are some others waiting. :lol: PhillipeGPS has also noted the lack of approvals in a post a few days ago.

NOTE: This is not a complaint. I'm just adding my observation that this doesn't appear to be confined to one user.

Actually, it's going to be fun to watch the potential FTFFF (First To Find Feeding Frenzy) if a large number of new caches all appear at once around here. I'm imagining Worker of Wood at his (alleged) workplace, using one hand to nervously click his browser's 'reload' button every 10 seconds, while the other shaky hand alternates between coffee, cigarettes, and wiping sweat from his brow. After a full week of waiting, there should be a pronounced facial tick, accompanied by a never-ending stream of curses and bizarre, psychotic rants. :back:

I have met Hemlock (the NorCal approver) and Hemlock is on vacation through this week, so SoCalAdmin has been doing the most of the work. The approvers have lives too. :o

I have met Hemlock (the NorCal approver) and Hemlock is on vacation through this week, so SoCalAdmin has been doing the most of the work. The approvers have lives too. :lol:

Understood, not an issue, never was.

A big Thank You to SoCalAdmin for approving some new caches for us up here. It made my morning commute much more enjoyable. :back:

--Marky

THANKS!!!!!

One of my two new caches was approved, no note or word about the other one yet, although it was placed three days before the other... I guess this means that unless that second one is approved quickly people will be heading back to the same general area twice if they're rushing out for the FTF. I guess the unintentional benefit of that is that the same person likely won't grab both FTFs on the same run.

Thank You to SoCalAdmin for approving some new caches for us up here.  It made my morning commute much more enjoyable.  :)

--Marky

Hey Marky! You're required to hate your commute. You're cheating. :)

This is a funny thread. Too many easy shots could be taken. Good thing we really like Hemlock and are greatful to SoCalAdmin for allowing Hem to take a break.

One important thing to learn here... If you don't blow up every now or then, they may contact you about being an approver. Yikes!! Is that encouragement to mind your p's and q's or not. B) Like I said, much matterial here. Did I mention how much we like Hemlock?!

[Thanks to all the approvers and those to be.]

Edited by Green Achers
Is there an advantage for being FTF as a reviewer? Talk about working the system!!! :blink::o:D

technically yes, since they could load the coords into their GPS, hit "approve" and head out the door.

In reality, this rarely happens (I've only heard of a couple of approvers doing this). It's far more important for them to approve the other caches in the area than to approve one, hunt for it, approve another, hunt for it, etc.

Anyone who actually asks to become a volunteer reviewer probably doesn't understand what the job entails well enough to be a worthy reviewer. When you reach the level where you'd be a good reviewer, you'll probably be smart enough not to want to become one. :lol:

It's a little bit annoying to have to wait so long for your cache to be approved, but I'm sure that if you live in California you have plenty of caches to go look for in the meantime. One cacher suggested to me that the guideline should be that you can't hide a cache unless you've found all the other caches within 10 miles of your hiding spot. That would cut down on the cache submissions that our approvers would have to go through.

One cacher suggested to me that the guideline should be that you can't hide a cache unless you've found all the other caches within 10 miles of your hiding spot. That would cut down on the cache submissions that our approvers would have to go through.

That would mean I'd be disallowed from stashing any more caches as I only have a few hundred finds. Does that sound like fund? Only hunting caches that a handful of cachers have placed? No thanks. Some of our newer cachers are doing better than us charter members in this area.

I have no problems with the currect turn around time for approvals. Of course, as I say that, I do have a cache submitted that I need approved in 8 days. Well see if I gave it enough lead time. :lol:

Whew. I've been back from my vacation for a few days and am mostly caught up with the queue. I just took a few minutes to read through the forums and when I came to this thread all I could think of is "boy talk about butt kissing." :huh::huh::):D

And don't worry, Green Achers. I'll make sure to post your cache the day after you need it posted :(:(