Software To Dl Benchmark Details

newts

I am new to this whole thing but I have got GPS Swiss Army Knife working with pocket queries for caches and dl'd .loc files of the benchmarks to work. I export dl them to the GPSr and make a HTML file that I use with Plucker to dl and view on the Palm. Now I want more.

The .loc files for the benchmarks do not have the benchmark log or original datasheet information. The descriptions are really the useful part of downloading the information to the Palm. Otherwise I already have the designation and coordinates going to the GPSr.

Is there a way to get this information directly?

I am experimenting with Plucker distiller to have it follow links back to geocaching.com to get this information but it is still 2 levels down and looks like about 2000 links to hit to get my information. There must be a better way.

Thanks,

jv

Just to add some more info, BMGPX will convert county datasheets from the NGS into GPX format. They WILL NOT have any GC.com logs included! (this is a frequently asked question). There may also be some marks in your data that are not listed on GC.com.

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response.

After posting I fiddled with Plucker Desktop/Distiller settings and got what I wanted. What I do is this:

Run a query on geocaching.com and save it as a .loc file. This I dl to GSAK and export it with my pocketcache information to html and dl to my GPSr. Then I have Plucker (an amazingly great web page grabber and offline reader for the Palm) configured to package up my local Cache file generated with GSAK and also go 2 levels into GC.com's site with particular spidering filters set to not run off into mapquest or other sites. Plucker takes about 2 minutes to do all of this getting the additional data from geocaching.com.

jv

newts  Posted on Jun 8 2004, 09:37 AM     

Run a query on geocaching.com

What does this mean?

Searches the site for benchmark detail. There are plenty of programs that do it - you can even use some to download everything, these are called site suckers. He's referring to Plucker grabbing specific pages for him, then converting them to Palm format.