The 2004 Long Island Summer Cache Event

JMBella

If you've never been caching on Long Island before, this would be a great time to visit. If you want, a 10-20+ cache day should be a piece of cake. The North Shore of Long Island boasts some amazing views of the Long Island Sound and CT. The park that the event is in is one of the nicest parks around with varying terrain and plenty of activities to keep you busy. Right now there are only 5 caches in this park but expect that number to more than double by the event. Plus, there are nearly 40 caches within about 5 miles. There are also plenty of hotel accommodations within a couple of miles of the park in every price range and camping right in the park if you want to make a weekend out of it. So whatta ya say? Who's coming? <_<

Event Page

Three planned trips to LI this summer and not a one of them is the weekend of July 17th. :blink: We would be there if it was when we were in town. :lol:

Cool! Let me know when you're coming, I'll let you know what caches not to miss. What part of the Island r u coming to?

When and where on the Island is it?? I'm headine there from "out of the area"

Joe has a link to the event at the top of the thread for dates and maps. The easiest way is LI Exp to Exit 56, north on 111 for about 1.2 miles to Veterans Hwy (454), go left on Vets for about .8 miles and the park entrance will be on your right.

Problem! The date for the event needs to be changed. Somehow Suffolk County Parks Dept. didn't hold my reservation and there are no longer picnic areas available for the 17th. The new date will be Sunday the 18th. I'm terribly sorry for any inconvenience this causes anyone, especially those traveling a long distance. I hope you can all still make it.

Hey Joe, I see the list of stuff needed for the event but do you know who's bringing what yet? Never been to an event like this, would be funny if everyone showed up with paper plates and no burgers. The British are bringing the beer so I'll volunteer for soda duty if that slot's still open. :(

Only a few days away and things are looking great. Thanks to all who have been pitching in to help out. We're looking at probably 50 - 60 people to be at this years event. If you're on the fence about coming for whatever reason, this is going to be an amazing day. Don't miss it!

Along with Channel 11 news, we have some other great surprises.

Also attending will be: NY Admin & NJ Admin, Hydee, Jeremy, That kid that was on StarTrek who is now a geocacher, Mayor Bloomburg, Joe Torre, The Footloose and fancy free Kevin Bacon, Bella the caching dog, Smarty Jones the caching horse, GPSax the caching Smurf, Bill Clinton, George Clinton, Clint Eastwood, Martha Stewart, Rod Stewart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Pippy Long Stocking, Long John Silver, Alicia Silverstone, Sharon Stone, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Brian Austin Green and BrianSnat vs. Criminal in a no holds barred Jello pudding wrestling match. MC will be Bill Cosby and Fat Albert with a special appearance by Marv Albert.

Edited by JMBella

There are now 13 caches in the park that I know of. There may be some that are not approved yet. I'll be adding at least one more before Sunday. Then there's one multi that I specifically didn't want to be approved until after the event. Be prepared to get wet. Bring a old pair of sneakers and a towel.

Edited by JMBella
Only a few days away and things are looking great. Thanks to all who have been pitching in to help out. We're looking at probably 50 - 60 people to be at this years event. If you're on the fence about coming for whatever reason, this is going to be an amazing day. Don't miss it!

Also attending will be: NY Admin & NJ Admin, Hydee, Jeremy, That kid that was on StarTrek who is now a geocacher, Mayor Bloomburg, Joe Torre, The Footloose and fancy free Kevin Bacon, Bella the caching dog, Smarty Jones the caching horse, GPSax the caching Smurf, Bill Clinton, George Clinton, Clint Eastwood, Martha Stewart, Rod Stewart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Pippy Long Stocking, Long John Silver, Alicia Silverstone, Sharon Stone, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Brian Austin Green and BrianSnat vs. Criminal in a no holds barred Jello pudding wrestling match. MC will be Bill Cosby and Fat Albert with a special appearance by Marv Albert.

What? Are you kidding? How could you forget to invite Mr. Firley! Shame on you!!

Only a few days away and things are looking great.  Thanks to all who have been pitching in to help out.  We're looking at probably 50 - 60 people to be at this years event.  If you're on the fence about coming for whatever reason, this is going to be an amazing day.  Don't miss it! 

Also attending will be:  NY Admin & NJ Admin, Hydee, Jeremy, That kid that was on StarTrek who is now a geocacher,  Mayor Bloomburg, Joe Torre, The Footloose and fancy free Kevin Bacon,  Bella the caching dog,  Smarty Jones the caching horse, GPSax the caching Smurf, Bill Clinton, George Clinton, Clint Eastwood, Martha Stewart, Rod Stewart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Pippy Long Stocking, Long John Silver, Alicia Silverstone, Sharon Stone, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Brian Austin Green and BrianSnat vs. Criminal in a no holds barred Jello pudding wrestling match.  MC will be Bill Cosby and Fat Albert with a special appearance by Marv Albert.

What? Are you kidding? How could you forget to invite Mr. Firley! Shame on you!!

If Mr. Firley isnt coming then either am I! :P

Maybe Long John Silver will bring the fried fish. :P

Only a few days away and things are looking great.  Thanks to all who have been pitching in to help out.  We're looking at probably 50 - 60 people to be at this years event.  If you're on the fence about coming for whatever reason, this is going to be an amazing day.  Don't miss it! 

Also attending will be:  NY Admin & NJ Admin, Hydee, Jeremy, That kid that was on StarTrek who is now a geocacher,  Mayor Bloomburg, Joe Torre, The Footloose and fancy free Kevin Bacon,  Bella the caching dog,  Smarty Jones the caching horse, GPSax the caching Smurf, Bill Clinton, George Clinton, Clint Eastwood, Martha Stewart, Rod Stewart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Pippy Long Stocking, Long John Silver, Alicia Silverstone, Sharon Stone, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Brian Austin Green and BrianSnat vs. Criminal in a no holds barred Jello pudding wrestling match.  MC will be Bill Cosby and Fat Albert with a special appearance by Marv Albert.

If Mr. Firley isnt coming then either am I! :P

I forgot Mr. Firley bur Mr. Roper is coming.

HOTELS

Anyone got a suggestion for something relatively inexpensive (but still clean, and nice) reasonably close to the event?

Mariot Residence Inn, This is less than a mile from the park. A 1 bedroom will be about $140.

Sheraton About 2 miles North of the park, also about $140

Windham Windwatch, about a mile away. $160 per night.

Looks like "relatively inexpensive" is all relative! $140 a night is inexpensive? Yow!

Looks like "relatively inexpensive" is all relative! $140 a night is inexpensive? Yow!

That's what I was thinking :D

Although, that spurred me to finally look a little, and I found a Howard Johnson just a couple miles away for $98 that was a little closer to what I had in mind, since I'm likely NOT going to be spending much waking time there. Guess I shoulda asked "What's the cheapest, clean hotel in the area" :D

The other places I had been looking at previously, were in that $140 range, but were farther away....like 20 miles or so.

Guess I'll see everyone Sunday.

HOTELS

Anyone got a suggestion for something relatively inexpensive (but still clean, and nice) reasonably close to the event?

Mariot Residence Inn, This is less than a mile from the park. A 1 bedroom will be about $140.

Welcome to Long Island. Don't even get me started on our property taxes. Glad you found what you were looking for IV. See you Sunday.

What time are you arriving on Satarday? Need some suggestions on where to cache other than Blydenburgh?

Sayville Cluster. Here's a nice cluster of caches that should keep you nice and busy for the day. You'll also find plenty of places to shop and eat in the Village of Sayville. This is a really nice cross section of caches with ratings that go from 1/1 to 3/4 . I promise you will not be dissapointed. You should be able to bag most if not more than these in a day.

Then there's the East Islip/Oakdale cluster. Zoom out one click to get the bigger picture. Again this area runs the gammot on caches from 1/1.5 to 2.5/3.5. Link to "All Nearby Caches".

HOTELS

Is there not a Days Inn or Motel 6 in the area?

There is a Days Inn but I believe it's booked for the weekend. Then there's the Commack Motor Inn but trust me on this, you DO NOT want to stay there. Let's put it this way, they don't ask how many nights you'll be staying, they ask how many hours. IV hit the jackpot with the HoJos, I forgot about that one.

Welcome to Long Island. Don't even get me started on our property taxes. Glad you found what you were looking for IV. See you Sunday.

What time are you arriving on Satarday? Need some suggestions on where to cache other than Blydenburgh?

I'm not sure what time I'll be arriving. It'll be about 5 hours or so after I get home from work on Saturday :D Hopefully, I'll be there by say 7 PM. Of course, if I stop at Greenfields on the drive in, that'll add some time. Not sure on that one, though.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll see ya Sunday.

A million thanks to everyone who made this event absolutely amazing. It was great to see everyone. Stay tuned, more events coming soon. Lolita Lopez from Ch. 11 had fun too and I think they will be doing a great story that we will all be very happy with.

Wow! Event was a blast!

Thanks to JMBella and StayFloopy for letting me tag along with them.

(even though I spotted every cache first! Some people like to bushwhack, I stick to the trails!!!

Had a great time meeting a wonderful group of cachers, with professional catering and a bunch of cool caches.

For those of you who have not tried it, the Mayan adventure is well worth it, especially to see Jbadger and StayFloopy up to their knees in a stream!

Thanks ;)

I had a wonderful time, I just wish I could have spent more time in the area, and found some more caches. Fortunately, my boss took it easy on my Monday, and didn't make me come in until 11:30 am. After a 60 hour workweek, then arriving on Long Island about 11 PM Saturday, caching most of Sunday and getting home around midnight, I needed that morning time to catch up on some sleep <_<