Our Latest Cache...

Will+Bill

OK, we just hid cache # 15. It has an interesting theme. It is located in an old Pioneer Graveyard that almost knowbody (except for Geocachers) know about. Sadly, many of the gravestones were vandelized. The theme of our new cache there (Pioneer Graveyard Resserection), is to "save a gravesone" a Geocacher that finds the cache tries to look around and find a broken gravestone, and try to fix it by putting it back together or something similar. Does anyone think that this is a good idea?

Thanks!

knowbody

Is that similar to a know-it-all? <_<

(Doesn't that have to be "no-it-all" for the joke to work?)

But to the serious point:

I would be uncomfortable deciding how and where to move pieces of gravestones.

Have you talked to whoever is in charge of this graveyard, to see what their thoughts are? (Somebody is, like the county, even if it's "abandoned".)

You know, I like old graveyards. I'm not sure what I think of the cache though. The concept is cool and there is certainly no disrespect. The part that makes me wonder is that you move from "passivly enjoying" as you read headstones and wonder about their lives to "Active participation" as you try to help undo vandalism.

It's the active participation that has me wondering. But then I always feel like I'm being watched in a graveyard anyway...

Edited by Renegade Knight

I would be reluctant to perform any "restoration" unless the cache page told me that this was authorized by whomever is responsible for the cemetery. With my luck, the state police would be driving by just at the moment when I had a chunk of headstone in my hands.

I've even been questioned about what I was doing when I was picking up trash near one of my caches.

I felt a little uncomfortable lifting a fallen stone to reveal a cache a couple weeks ago, but I now realize that it was likely moved by someone after it fell to be where it was anyway. The other part was the millions of ants who built a hill around the ammo box.

I don't think I'd participate in reassembling gravestones. There's something natural about a stone from 1801, say and it's natural state that makes the state of the world (and the temporality of living) clear to me on these occasional visits. I think most of the one's I've seen have just bee blown over. I can see how geneology folk would see it differently, though.

Don't mess with the stones. There are organizations involved in headstone and cemetery preservation, you need to hook up with one of them in your area. or work with the county on that. But having geocachers do it is a bad idea--they will be noticed and mistaken for vandals, and not knowing what they are doing, could do more harm than help...

I've never done this but read about as a hobby - how about taking a rubbing of an interestng headstone? It would be kind of preservation, something to take with (besides swag) and might make a more interesting photo for the cache than just a pic of the headstone.