Clams And Geocaching.

If this thread is going to be back, can it be thrown into Off Topic?

No, it's grandfathered in. Make that great grandfathered.

That would be Clamfathered in.

to put this back on topic... yeah right... What I'm trying to figure out is how the clams will be able to download waypoints, let alone use a GPS.

Fry-fi?

I assumed that they would be his caching friends. He would take them to the location and then the clams would look.

Claire xx

While it may be expensive to fly your clams to Australia it may be well worth it. Not only will you have a peck of trained clams you will be recognized as one of an outstanding cadre of trained Clam People.

http://www.anuenterprise.com.au/projects/C...LAM_people.html

Training is provided by ANU Enterprises, which is evidently the new name since ANU Systems produced an unfortunate acronym.

Geoducks above all clams are trainable for geocaching, but since they bury themselves three feet under sand and stay there for 100 years you have to be really really patient (and lucky) to see them make a find.

You could save the training money, I suppose, and just say that your geoduck can find caches... whose gonna sit and watch it for 100 years to prove you wrong?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

While it may be expensive to fly your clams to Australia it may be well worth it. Not only will you have a peck of trained clams you will be recognized as one of an outstanding cadre of trained Clam People.

http://www.anuenterprise.com.au/projects/C...LAM_people.html

Training is provided by ANU Enterprises, which is evidently the new name since ANU Systems produced an unfortunate acronym.

Geoducks above all clams are trainable for geocaching, but since they bury themselves three feet under sand and stay there for 100 years you have to be really really patient (and lucky) to see them make a find.

No need to send them all the way to Australia for schooling when they can get almost as good training right here in the good old U.S.

Has anybody had success training clams to find geocaches? And if so, are littlenecks, cherrystones, or quahogs better at it? I spent all yesterday afternoon trying to train a dozen littlenecks to hunt down caches, but all they would do was sit there and sometimes little bubbles would come from their shell. Am I wasting my time?

Well I do have a comment but since you are a moderator on the foum I better not I might get banned. :)

ScubaSonic

Has anybody had success training clams to find geocaches? And if so, are littlenecks, cherrystones, or quahogs better at it? I spent all yesterday afternoon trying to train a dozen littlenecks to hunt down caches, but all they would do was sit there and sometimes little bubbles would come from their shell. Am I wasting my time?

Well I do have a comment but since you are a moderator on the foum I better not I might get banned. :)

ScubaSonic

Yeah, you'd best clam up, I think.

So who will be the first to get their picture posted holding a GPS with Speedy?

Here is a photo of Speedy Geoduck, mascot of Washington’s official hippie college, The Evergreen State College

The Geoduck Fight Song

by Malcolm Stilson, 1971

Go, Geoducks go,

Through the mud and the sand, let’s go.

Siphon high, squirt it out,

Swivel all about,

Let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,

Stretch your necks when the tide is low

Siphon high, squirt it out,

Swivel all about,

Let it all hang out.

SPEEDYgeoduck.jpg

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I see that he has figured it out. :D

The Clam that Knew Too Much

The Clam with the Broken Arm

I find dead frogs are great cache retrieval tools.  Squish them in the middle and their toungues plop out.  The tongues are sticky and can grab the cache in those hard to reach places.  Live frogs are much less usefull for caching.

Little known fact:

If you took a live healthy frog and threw him into a pot of boiling water it would immediately jump out to save himself from sure death. If however, you took that same live, healthy frog and placed it in a large cool pot of water it would probably be quite content there.

If you then put the pot on top of your stove and put the burner on very low, the frog would still be quite happy, never feeling the very low heat ever so slightly rising from the bottom. As the water slowly rises in temperature the frog hardly notices. It simply becomes accustomed to the very gradual rise in temperature. By the time the frog notices that it has no strength left, and is becoming increasingly more lethargic as the heat rises. . . .It is too late to do anything about it. It's dead.

I prefer to use dead frogs AS caches. :blink:

Even MORE FUN with dead frogs.

Something tells me that if you threw a frog into a pot of boiling water, it would die pretty instantly. Hopping out probably wouldn't be an option...

I find dead frogs are great cache retrieval tools. Squish them in the middle and their toungues plop out. The tongues are sticky and can grab the cache in those hard to reach places. Live frogs are much less usefull for caching.

Little known fact:

If you took a live healthy frog and threw him into a pot of boiling water it would immediately jump out to save himself from sure death. If however, you took that same live, healthy frog and placed it in a large cool pot of water it would probably be quite content there.

If you then put the pot on top of your stove and put the burner on very low, the frog would still be quite happy, never feeling the very low heat ever so slightly rising from the bottom. As the water slowly rises in temperature the frog hardly notices. It simply becomes accustomed to the very gradual rise in temperature. By the time the frog notices that it has no strength left, and is becoming increasingly more lethargic as the heat rises. . . .It is too late to do anything about it. It's dead.

I prefer to use dead frogs AS caches. ;)

Even MORE FUN with dead frogs.

Something tells me that if you threw a frog into a pot of boiling water, it would die pretty instantly. Hopping out probably wouldn't be an option...

Naww... didn't you ever hear this story?

Two little frogs fell in a bucket of boiling cream. The first frog quickly gave up and drowned. The second frog, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that boiling cream into melted butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second frog.

...or something like that. :blink:

Two little frogs fell in a bucket of boiling cream. The first frog quickly gave up and drowned. The second frog, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that boiling cream into melted butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second frog.

I'd think that having a body covered with 2nd degree burns would not be very comfortable.