Clams And Geocaching.

Has anybody had success training clams to find geocaches? And if so, are littlenecks, cherrystones, or quahogs better at it? I spent all yesterday afternoon trying to train a dozen littlenecks to hunt down caches, but all they would do was sit there and sometimes little bubbles would come from their shell. Am I wasting my time?

OK Brian I'm getting a little worried, and I hope a few others around here are too. You really need to go for a walk to release some of this angst and confusion.

You are NOT Criminal. :rolleyes:

I mean come on dude-first a thread about pronouncing 'big green metal thingie', now clams? :):P

Is it raining really hard in NJ today? :D

OK gotta go outside (it's sunny and 88 in NC) now, my post count is getting dangerously near my found count. :D

Edited by wimseyguy
Has anybody had success training clams to find geocaches? And if so, are littlenecks, cherrystones, or quahogs better at it? I spent all yesterday afternoon trying to train a dozen littlenecks to hunt down caches, but all they would do was sit there and sometimes little bubbles would come from their shell. Am I wasting my time?

I think you really do belong in AS, and you already stuck your foot in the door, maybe you should widden your sphere of influence to include AS, even if only when you need to get some fresh air

Hey Brian?

I think THIS clam has some aptitude for geocaching.

Sn :rolleyes::P gans

I tried to train some the other night.

It was around midnight, but I think they were dead.

I even tried teaching them french, but their long sobs wound my heart with a monotonous languor.

clams_on_beach_lg.jpg

OK. For some reason, that's just disturbing.

Monotno-whatsis?:rolleyes:

Ahhh,the geoduck clam. Thanks Snoogans! They have potential for cache hunting, but I prefer them steamed with butter. Even if I successfully trained a few, I'd probably wind up eating them.

Yea me too. As my new avatar implies.

There should be a thread on how to pronounce "Geoduck." :rolleyes: (AKA: The geocaching clam)

Do you say, "Geo-duck" or "Goo-wee-duck." ???

Sn :P:) gans

Um, sorry to burst your bubble, but thems scallops in your avatar.

Sure you can train clams for geocaching

Hey, if anything, this thread accomplished getting Clamdiggers to post after over a year of lurking!

Edited by briansnat
I find dead frogs are great cache retrieval tools.  Squish them in the middle and their toungues plop out.  The tongues are sticky and can grab the cache in those hard to reach places.  Live frogs are much less usefull for caching.

Little known fact:

If you took a live healthy frog and threw him into a pot of boiling water it would immediately jump out to save himself from sure death. If however, you took that same live, healthy frog and placed it in a large cool pot of water it would probably be quite content there.

If you then put the pot on top of your stove and put the burner on very low, the frog would still be quite happy, never feeling the very low heat ever so slightly rising from the bottom. As the water slowly rises in temperature the frog hardly notices. It simply becomes accustomed to the very gradual rise in temperature. By the time the frog notices that it has no strength left, and is becoming increasingly more lethargic as the heat rises. . . .It is too late to do anything about it. It's dead.

I prefer to use dead frogs AS caches. :rolleyes:

Even MORE FUN with dead frogs.

Edited by Snoogans
I think what you need is something like a "clam whisperer."

The Clam Whisperer. That was a great movie. Didn't get much attention though, and was in and out of the theatres quickly. Then Robert Redford copied it, changed clams to horses and had a hit. Go figure.

I find dead frogs are great cache retrieval tools.  Squish them in the middle and their toungues plop out.  The tongues are sticky and can grab the cache in those hard to reach places.  Live frogs are much less usefull for caching.

Little known fact:

If you took a live healthy frog and threw him into a pot of boiling water it would immediately jump out to save himself from sure death. If however, you took that same live, healthy frog and placed it in a large cool pot of water it would probably be quite content there.

If you then put the pot on top of your stove and put the burner on very low, the frog would still be quite happy, never feeling the very low heat ever so slightly rising from the bottom. As the water slowly rises in temperature the frog hardly notices. It simply becomes accustomed to the very gradual rise in temperature. By the time the frog notices that it has no strength left, and is becoming increasingly more lethargic as the heat rises. . . .It is too late to do anything about it. It's dead.

I prefer to use dead frogs AS caches. <_<

Even MORE FUN with dead frogs.

Ah but did you know if you dropped a frog into liquid oxygen it doesn't die? It merely goes into hibernation solid as ice. After it thaws, it wakes up. But you can just as easily shatter it with a tap of a small hammer when frozen.

Ah but did you know if you dropped a frog into liquid oxygen it doesn't die? It merely goes into hibernation solid as ice. After it thaws, it wakes up. But you can just as easily shatter it with a tap of a small hammer when frozen.

If that's really true, I need a biologist and a botanist to PM me ASAP. We will ALL be billionaires if my idea "bears fruit" so to speak.

EEEEEEEEEEEuuuuuuuurika!!!!!!!

Edited by Snoogans

Ahhh,the geoduck clam. Thanks Snoogans! They have potential for cache hunting, but I prefer them steamed with butter. Even if I successfully trained a few, I'd probably wind up eating them.

There should be a thread on how to pronounce "Geoduck." <_< (AKA: The geocaching clam)

Sn :):D gans

Ma and Pa Kettle pronounced it Geo-Duck!

I don't know if they could be trained to find geocaches, but I have caught razor clams necking on the beach in the surf!

Naughty little clams.

If that's really true, I need a biologist and a botanist to PM me ASAP. We will ALL be billionaires if my idea "bears fruit" so to speak.

EEEEEEEEEEEuuuuuuuurika!!!!!!!

Did it several times while servicing LOX (Liquid OXygen) on F-4C's in Turkey. It was a crackup to watch the newbies lose the bets. The loser would have to wear the full protective gear in 120 degrees, service the bottles, and then load the bottles onto the aircraft while the winner would drive them around and generally take it easy in the shade.

There should be a thread on how to pronounce "Geoduck." <_< (AKA: The geocaching clam)

i LOVE the geoduck! the mirugai!

singing

you can hear the diggers say

as they're headed to the bay

oh i gotta dig a duck

gotta dig a duck a day

'cause i get a buck a duck

if i dig a duck a day

so i gotta dig a duck gotta dig a duck a day.

CHORUS (sing along if you know the words):

dig a duck, dig a duck, dig a geoduck

dig a duck, dig a geoduck, dig a duck a day

dig a duck, dig a duck, dig a geoduck

dig a duck, dig a geoduck, dig a duck a day

oh it takes a lot of pluck

and a certain kind of luck

just to get around the muck

just to get a geoduck

'cause he doesn't have a front

and he doesn't have a back

and he doesn't know a donald

and he doesn't go "quack".

/singing

EVERYBODY, SING ALONG.....

(do not try this at home. i am a professional.)

Edited by flask
why do i want to relax somebody i'm about to boil alive?

Because it is better to boil a happy, relaxed lobster. They don't try to climb out of the pot or scream as much.

I used to live in Maine and Rockport has a big lobster festival. One year Marlo Thomas came to protest cooking lobsters. She thought it was humane. I thought they tasted great with lots of butter and a touch lemon!

Try contacting the Provincetown Public Library...it seems they may have had some very recent (March 2004) luck with what you're attempting:

4.      Director’s Report: Debbie is researching a computerized reservation system for internet usage and is looking into buying or leasing a machine to charge for printing. Approximate cost is +-$5,000.

a. Grant Updates: She mailed the digitization grant proposal today to LSTA, Karen Krahulik wrote a letter of support of it. Debbie is now working on MCC grant proposal.

b. CLAMS Training March 22: The Board members scheduled themselves to cover the desk while the staff is in CLAMS training on March 22. Debbie has met informally with the directors of Truro and Wellfleet libraries for general discussion about CLAMS money needs and other issues. They set another meeting for September.

Try contacting the Provincetown Public Library...it seems they may have had some very recent (March 2004) luck with what you're attempting:

4.      Director’s Report: Debbie is researching a computerized reservation system for internet usage and is looking into buying or leasing a machine to charge for printing. Approximate cost is +-$5,000.

a. Grant Updates: She mailed the digitization grant proposal today to LSTA, Karen Krahulik wrote a letter of support of it. Debbie is now working on MCC grant proposal.

b. CLAMS Training March 22: The Board members scheduled themselves to cover the desk while the staff is in CLAMS training on March 22. Debbie has met informally with the directors of Truro and Wellfleet libraries for general discussion about CLAMS money needs and other issues. They set another meeting for September.

Yes, but I believe they were teaching the clams the Dewey Decimal System so they can file returned books. Teaching them to find geocaches is a whole 'nother can of ... clams.

Edited by briansnat

Don’t forget the Fighting Geoducks of Evergreen State College.

geoduckmascot-cropped.jpg

The "fight song" of The Evergreen State College.

So named because the mascot is the revolting mollusk, the geoduck.

The school's motto? Omnia Extares

Let it all hang out.

(words and music by Malcolm Stilson, 1971)

Go, Geoducks go,

Through the mud and the sand,

let's go.

Siphon high, squirt it out,

swivel all about,

let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,

Strech your necks when the tide

is low

Siphon high, squirt it out,

swivel all about,

let it all hang out.