Who Puts Photos On Their Logs?

I have been interested on photography for years. So its no surprise that when I am out I take loads of photos. Nearly every log I do has 2 or 3 photos with it and I have 288 photos in my gallery, taken over about 8 months since I got my digital. is this excessive? or can you beat it? Or would you rather not see photos with logs at all?

Brian

I used to originally, but it's so much hassle getting them below 125k (or whatever it is) I can't be bothered. I still have them all though and send them in to Lassitude's screensaver (when is the next release going to be?).

I have to say that photos are brilliant in logs though (just look at these ones)- I just wish there was a quick way of reducing the file size.

MarcB

We love to see photo's on logs. I always take my trusty camera with me and try to take a photo or two for the log. We are getting quite a collection now but nowhere near your total.

It was a shame the weather was so bad when we did the spectrum series, but it was so I only managed to get one spell of dryish weather which was at the White cache where I managed to get my "spot the sheep"piccy to show just how misty it was.

As far as Mark and I are concerned keep clicking away we love to look at em

Joan

:rolleyes::):P:D

I use an Olympus digital camera and download the pictures directly onto my PC. I then use Paint Shop Pro to resize them for attaching to logs.

I usually only add photos to a log if I'm FTF or if there aren't many other photos already illustrating the cache.

I also try to add a photo of a TB if I can, particularly if it's requested by the bug owner.

We always have a camera with us and have taken a photo (several) of every cache we have found - although not put many in the gallery. We do tend to add more against the TB's we find however these photos if logged against the TB rather than the cache found or placed in do not appear in your gallery. We only have 21 photos logged and given I take about 4 per cache on average ,never mind how many per TB, and we're upto 229 found that's not good going. Will try to improve :-)

Sue

I've got to put my hands up, and admit that I just leave it up to the site to resize them, had no problems up to now (watch me have problems now I've opened my mouth :rolleyes:).

Dave

I'll try that now - if it works, expect loads of pics from me!

MarcB

I've got to put my hands up, and admit that I just leave it up to the site to resize them, had no problems up to now (watch me have problems now I've opened my mouth ).

Dave

Been doing exactly the same for a long time now and never had any problems. However, the quality of the photo is slightly impaired, but I reckon not enough to warrant spending the extra time resizing them myself. I usually take pictures if the weather is good, and the views great, which for the Scottish caches they usually are.

Edited by Firth of Forth
I used to originally, but it's so much hassle getting them below 125k (or whatever it is) I can't be bothered.

I just wish there was a quick way of reducing the file size.

MarcB

In Windows XP (in my copy anyway) if you right click on the file I get an option to resize the picture. It then gives me 4 options:

Small - 640 x 480

Medium - 800 x 600

Large - 1024 x 768

Handheld PC - 240 x 320

Once OK is clicked the picture is resized almost instantly. Makes the upload time much quicker especially if you have a slow connection.

I like to add photos to our logs if:

a ) we remember to take the camera

b ) the pictures come out OK

Sometimes it takes a while for me to get around to adding the photos as I usually log caches on the laptop in front of the TV, whilst the camera cable lives upstairs with one of the desktop PCs.

Its really nice to see photos - there aren't enough!

Lisa

Since getting a digital camera we have become frequent shutterbugs. However we're not too sure how many pictures of Boo are excessive and we're also not sure if people would find the same subject matter that we "shoot" interesting... So we use alot of discretion with our photographic posts.

However our XP screen saver is a constantly changing reminder of all the best scenery that caching has brought to us.

House Of Boo

I used to originally, but it's so much hassle getting them below 125k (or whatever it is) I can't be bothered.

I just wish there was a quick way of reducing the file size.

MarcB

In Windows XP (in my copy anyway) if you right click on the file I get an option to resize the picture. It then gives me 4 options:

Small - 640 x 480

Medium - 800 x 600

Large - 1024 x 768

Handheld PC - 240 x 320

Once OK is clicked the picture is resized almost instantly. Makes the upload time much quicker especially if you have a slow connection.

It's one of Microsoft's "Power Toys" for Windows XP. It's called "Image Resizer" and you can download it from HERE

<_< I enjoy taking pics whenever I can, particularly when the scenery or location is of note around a cache site. These pics eventually start forming a bit of a diary of your caching exploits to look back on...just wish I could train one of my mutts to take one!. It's a pleasure seeing the other contributions also, as it certainly adds a bit more life to the logs.

Praise be to the digi-cameras of the world!!! Oh, & p.s. XP resizes the format no problem for upload....though its easier starting with a smaller or medium file from the camera in the first place (unless your thinking of high quality prints later), and you'll hardly notice the difference (sharpness) on your pc anyway.

Cheers DD

Joined GC.com on August 31, 2003; first cache found September 1, 2003. 356 photos loaded in my gallery. I usually take a crappy digital camera with me and like to take shots of me (and/or the kids) while we are searching and/or after making the find. I load some of the better ones to GC.com. (This is sort of scary -- the ones on GC.com are THE GOOD ONES!) <_<

Hi Folks,

haven't added any pics to logs as yet, but only cos I keep forgetting to take my digital camera <_< (still reach for 35mm out of habit :) ) but when I upload pics to my pc, I upload to photoshop which has a 'save for web' option when you save the pics in the first place. I've found that this makes things much quicker as it's done at the time of saving.

Danegar

I took this picture today, and I have put it in my log. It is a picture taken from Edinburgh of venus crossing the Sun.

I now just hope it comes up ok as this is the first time I have tried to put a picture into the forums. <_<

Oops didn't work lets try and put a link for the picture of Venus

Edited by Haggis Hunter
I took this picture today, and I have put it in my log. It is a picture taken from Edinburgh of venus crossing the Sun.

I now just hope it comes up ok as this is the first time I have tried to put a picture into the forums.

It works for me but you only need to cut and paste this much into your browser...

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/42c02...21a16df4e88.jpg

Edit: See Haggis Hunters previous log!!! <_<

Edited by Leoness

I like to take a photo 'of interest' at every cache I visit, without making it a spoiler. If it *is* a spoiler I'm always very careful to label it as such. I've posted 186 pictures from 128 finds (+ a couple DNFs?) and have had some nice feedback on them as what I find interesting tends to be a bit 'quirky' <_< Please have a look for yourself at My User Gallery. I hope you enjoy my slanted look at the world of Geocaching, cachers and caches!

SP :)

P.S. I use a Fuji s5000 which is wonderful. 10x optical zoom, 2.2x digital zoom, 6Mp output... and it's all idiot-proof to use! My third Fuji (I've a little light A201 for cycling and using on rollercoasters-!- and used to have a 6900 which the s5000 replaced. s5000 bought and 6900 sold on eBay) and I'd recommend them to anyone for their image quality, price, reliability and simplicity.

Oh, and I resize to 600 pixels wide (or less) using some software which came with my first digital camera in 1999. Practically any image editing 'ware will let you crop and resize an image for 'net use. I've never used the online resizing thing as you need to spend extra time uploading the larger original image - No broadband here!

SP <_<

i've just got a fujis5000 too (amazon.co.uk was the cheapest) and its fantastic. The zoom is great although you need a tripod at the best zoom length. I like to take pictures of the scenery and animals, especially if I see something that noone else has uploaded yet or commented on. My recent pics at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...25-97a83429955a show the tiny shetland ponies. I don't bother to resize them though - i let the server do that. However if I load them to my own website then I resize to 800*600 to fit most peoples screens (although again my gallery program does it all for me)

Ephrael & I take our camera everywhere we go, and take pictures of any caches that we think we can get a good photo out of.

All TB's passing throug hus so far have had a photo taken, generally to fit their mission or something relevant - we enjoy adding stories to the TB logs!

Oops didn't work lets try and put a link for the picture of Venus

For a proper photo of the Transit of Venus - taken from my back window - Click Here!

I might take a look through my caching picture collection and send some on to the magazine. I do like to take a snap or two is I see something worthy of attention...

SP :blink:

Edit: It seems I've not uploaded it yet, but it is cool... Watch this space!

Edited by Simply Paul
P.S. I use a Fuji s5000 which is wonderful. 10x optical zoom, 2.2x digital zoom, 6Mp output... and it's all idiot-proof to use! My third Fuji (I've a little light A201 for cycling and using on rollercoasters-!- and used to have a 6900 which the s5000 replaced. s5000 bought and 6900 sold on eBay) and I'd recommend them to anyone for their image quality, price, reliability and simplicity.

Got a Fuji S5000 as well best Digi ever had. Find using a Hama Skylight Filter make the pics even better. Have a camera mount on Hiking Pole which make life easy for those zoom shots. All i need now is for Gamin to make a pole mount for GPS'r

Would definitely recommend the Fuji S5000

:(

s5000 is fantastic - its my 4th digi and the best yet and under £250.

I was looking at the S5000 last week. so you reckon its worth getting one ?? I use A SLR with a selection of len's from 28mm to 600mm. But the 10x zoom lens looks good (its about 380mm in 35mm terms) I also have a cheap digital (3.2). will have to have a look at DomHeknows s5000 on the 17th :blink::laughing:

Edited by Deego

My s5000 is the 6th digital camera I've owned since 1999 and easily the best. The real proof of the pudding is that I have no plans to replace it even though there are 'better' cameras around I could just about afford. It already does everything I want a digicam to do and more. Hooray for Fuji! Garmin could learn a trick or two about ease of use and quality control: My rubber bump strip has dropped off! Gurrrr!!

SP

Hooray for Fuji! Garmin could learn a trick or two about ease of use and quality control: My rubber bump strip has dropped off! Gurrrr!!

Well join the Club mines came of, now been fixed by a friend not Garmin, He's a Carpet Fitter!!!! :blink:

He took of the existing double sided tape to use a template a couple of quick slices and he had it stuck back on, looks as good as new

:laughing:

i've not used the movie on the camera yet, but you can see some of the new pictures at http://www.absoblogginlutely.net/gallery/t...ls.php?album=43 and http://www.absoblogginlutely.net/gallery/t...ls.php?album=42 (bearing in mind these pictures have been taken at the lowest capacity and then resized for the web!

The zoom is fantastic, works reasonably well in low light levels but you really do need a tripod when using the full extent of the zoom. You can certainly have a look at it but don't drop it deego!

Hooray for Fuji! Garmin could learn a trick or two about ease of use and quality control: My rubber bump strip has dropped off! Gurrrr!!

Well join the Club mines came of, now been fixed by a friend not Garmin, He's a Carpet Fitter!!!! :P

He took of the existing double sided tape to use a template a couple of quick slices and he had it stuck back on, looks as good as new

:P

Double sided tape? It's got to be worth a go. I'll let the world know how it goes...

SP :P

'The GIMP' is an excellent image manipulating program and it has a really neat feature that can help getting your pictures below 125k. Once GIMP has started, open the picture then right-click on the image and choose Image, Resize. 640x480 or 480x640 seems about the biggest image you'll get in 125k. However, the image may still be over 125k even now. No problem. Right-click again and choose File, Save as and give the image a new name remembering to put .jpg or .jpeg on the end. A window will then come up with a 'preview' option and the ability to choose the JPEG compression level. If you tick the preview box as you change the compression level you will see the size of the image in kilobytes change. This allows you to fine tune the compression level and still get it just under the 125k limit.

Available for all popular operating system like Windows, Mac and Linux here:

http://www.gimp.org/

What I'm not sure about, is 125k=125000 bytes or 125*1024=128000 bytes?

Well join the Club mines came of, now been fixed by a friend not Garmin, He's a Carpet Fitter!!!! :P

:P

Double sided tape? It's got to be worth a go. I'll let the world know how it goes...

I'm sure the World is waiting with baited breath :P:P

So far so good - The double sided tape seems to have fixed my slipping rubber bumper. We'll have to see how it copes being wedged into the steering wheel on my car before I give this fix the final thumbs up though.

SP

P.S. Back on the subject of photography, here's a nice shot I took in London looking towards 'Old Father Thames' cache, which is a bit further down stream from here...

From Westminster Bridge, looking east.

Or there's this time-lapse video I shot with my funky Casio QV8000SX in November last year from near the same spot...

Note the rise of the tide over this half hour period.

Edited to fix links!

Edited by Simply Paul
Paul was the Photo taken on the S5000 ?

Actually no. The nice sunset one of the Thames was done with my little Fuji A201 which I use where the s5000 can't go (rollercoasters, mountain biking and the like) back in 2002. A cracking photo (if I say so myself) from a simple cheap zoomless point-n-shooter. The animated one is a AVI loop I made with Macromedia Flash and a series of 30-odd shots taken automatically at 1 minute intervals with my Casio. It has a load of features none of my other cameras have, including 1cm macro, cord remote, unlimited exposure 'bulb' shutter feature (there's up to a 60 second timed exposure setting too!) and of course the time-lapse thing which lets me make some cool animations.