Places to place a cache when their is nothing intresting to see.

phantom4099

Hi, I am think of placing a cache, I have been reading the forums since October so I have a pretty good Idea of what to place in them and what not to do. I also plan on doing some more before I place one (the one I will search will be in a mountainous area, which is not like the area in which I will place it). But I can not think of an area to place one that would be of any interest to anyone else. My towns pop is 13,000, most of the land out side of the town is farm land and is private property. There is no hills, or mountains (you probably could see the curvature of the earth if it was not for the occasional tree or building). The parks in the area are mowed and none have a place that is away from prying eyes, or a big grove of trees. There is one park that borders a river that often floods (so there is rocks on one side), could one be hidden here? There is another park that borders a lake that is used for recreation, but there is really no place to hide one here, unless I place it under a rock, or in the trees of a motel that are nearby (which may cause problems). Any other recommendations are welcomed.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Although there are plenty of places to hide caches where I'm from, I just did a theme virtual of covered bridges. It's a 25 miles tour taking you to four different covered bridges.

Try something like that. I know it's not a conventional cache but these can be very interesting.

For example, you can do research on the oldest farm houses in your county. Go to them, mark the coordinates, find out a fact about each that you can only find out by going there. The find for the people would be for them to email you the amnswer to the wuestion about that fact that your write into the cache page. Take a picture of each and add it to your cache page. I stayed busy with my theme cache for weeks developing it and doing the touring and research and writing, editing and posting the cache. Covered Bridge Tour of Sullivan County

Try searching under "theme" in these forumes. I recalll a discussion about theme caches which may give you other ideas.

Good luck.

ALan

Try different things to use as a container. If the area isn't interesting make the cache interesting. There is another thread on cache containers. I think it is in general. That will give you some good ideas. Go out to the park and look around for something that you can duplicate, but with a hidden cache inside. I think this is the most fun in placing a cache.

The other alternative is to move. icon_biggrin.gif

Try different things to use as a container. If the area isn't interesting make the cache interesting. There is another thread on cache containers. I think it is in general. That will give you some good ideas. Go out to the park and look around for something that you can duplicate, but with a hidden cache inside. I think this is the most fun in placing a cache.

The other alternative is to move. icon_biggrin.gif

phantom4099,

I’ve been at this for about 15 months and in this game that’s a pretty long time. One thing that I have noticed is that the quality of caches seems to be declining.

One year ago there were only about 20 caches within 100 miles of my house, now there are approximately 170. This is great! But, more and more people are just dropping caches, like breadcrumbs, everywhere they go. IMHO I think that’s why we have so many plundered caches now. I’m glad to see that you care enough to ask for advice, that’s good.

Here is my advice:

Pack a “Cache Kit” in your vehicle. Go out and do what you enjoy. With few exceptions, it isn’t helpful to decide WHAT to cache before deciding WHERE to cache. The other way around works better. (The exception is a theme cache, where you may dream up the theme and then find the right location).

While you are out “doing your thing”, pay attention to your own feelings. Do you see something that makes you say to yourself; “I want to come back here someday” or “I want to bring [fill-in-the-blank] here to see this”. When that happens, you have found your cache “General location”.

Now that you have the general location, look around and see where you could hide “Something”. Don’t ask yourself; “Where could I hide an ammo box, or a Tupperware container?” Just think about a hiding place, period.

If you find a suitable place, go to your vehicle (or your back-pack) and get the LARGEST container that will fit. Stuff it full of goodies and do the “How to hide a cache” thing.

If you don’t find a suitable location right where you want to be, repeat the process at nice locations near the “General location” and mention in the description that the place you want them to see is [give directions here].

And the final thing, if people don’t like your cache, DON’T take it personally! And if they do, DON’T get a swelled head! There are a lot of geocachers out there and just like a garden full of flowers, each one is different.

Good luck!

Now, shut off your computer and go hide a cache, somewhere that you would like for me to see, and I’ll come and find it. (Voice in back of head: “Hide it, they will come.”)

9617_300.jpg

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA

Sometimes you can make a cache interesting by making it a multi-"waypoint" cache involving visiting one or more landmark/historic areas around a city. The cache hunters would have to figure out the final co-ordinates based on information at the location (eg. How many statues are here, What year was this build in, etc). Some simple math and you can adjust any number into the proper number to fit your final co-ords. This allows you to hide your cache in an un-interesting location while still making the hunt enjoyable.

Here's an example from my area:

Central Oregon Urban Cache

snazzsig.jpg

I live in central NJ and you live in SD. I am surrounded by GeoCaches that are in real wilderness areas. SD is a scenic wonderland and sparsely populated by comparison to NJ. Perhaps you haven't looked far enough afield? Hunting is popular in SD there must be plenty of "public" land. I used to live in Kansas so I can relate to your description of your situation. u icon_wink.gif

I am not a teacher: only a fellow-traveller of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead, ahead of myself as well as you.

I live in central NJ and you live in SD. I am surrounded by GeoCaches that are in real wilderness areas. SD is a scenic wonderland and sparsely populated by comparison to NJ. Perhaps you haven't looked far enough afield? Hunting is popular in SD there must be plenty of "public" land. I used to live in Kansas so I can relate to your description of your situation. u icon_wink.gif

I am not a teacher: only a fellow-traveller of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead, ahead of myself as well as you.

I was out boating in my little boat at our local lake when I found a site that really got my intrest. The bad part about this site is that it belongs to the Izaac Walton club house, so I would have to ask for premison. I am not even sure if I will get premmision to place. Any Ideas as a way to really butter them up to the idea? I have a few that I can try out, but just wondering.

I like some of your guys ideas, expecialy the old farm house/school idea. Or I could place a cache some where around the world largest cock (okay it's a pheasent(sp?), but you get people to listen better this way(and it is a roster, which is also know as a cock)).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I hav ebeen looking around my home town for siutable caching places and although we have many great places to hide a cache not all have knock out views or historic background. That said, however, I have noticed a trend toward really easy caches. So , I am going to be putting out a cache that is at least a 2 mile round trip through some pretty forest pathways. Nothing sprectacular, just a great walk in the woods with a more difficult than average hunt when you get there. I think there is still a lot of demand for this type of cache.