Overzealous Cache Disaprovers???

urbo

Wow, very nice Cache Viking, I bet KA would love to be able to do just that.

Duane, very nice.

And to the unnamed person(so no one says I am picking on them) who started this thread, just cause Duane is being nice doesn't mean that he needs a stand in to take over. and why did it take months to start complaining? You had months to go and check on your caches and you didn't even do that. Now months later you think it is okay to complain?

urbo

Once again, have you emailed the approver that denied your cache submission? Let him know about the nearest cache, about how you don't need a "shovel, trowel or pointy object" to uncover the cache. I have heard about other caches being "buried" under sand at the beach. I see yours as being no different.

However, if it is placed on this "easement" you refer to, that would be considered private property. The electrical box (transformer) in front of my house is on an easement. That means the power company has permission to service the box and I can't say they are trespassing. However, if you came over and started messing with it I could have you arrested.

yep, did that (advised approver of these points). no avail. the cache on the easement, not mine but didnt see the problem with it. if this is a legit no no then there are quite a few caches that our approver is overlooking.

Edited by urbo

the beach caches...

i listed them all and got an email regarding how close they were and they approved a few pending movement of the others. we went back and forth due to the fact the hiding places were good and you cant understand proximity if you dont know how people normally get around. the cache at the police station was actually in a small memorial park. theres a benchmark there, same place. should we remove it to keep geocachers from hanging around? anyhows. he archived them all. poof gone. we went back and some were missing.may have been muggled but them any cache can get muggled. thats not here nor there.

urbo

what, we're still picking on duane? that is so, like, three days ago....

But he is being so nice and looks so good with his new avitar from amishhacker.

And the new guy is no fun, he just doesn't get that everyone should have to play by the same rules. I don't want someone I don't know to come onto the property that I mow and water and plant flowers on and hide a cache that I know nothing about and have millions of lookers climbing all through my garden, trampling my flowers. Good for the approvers, but what part of no doesn't he understand?

…but geez... why work so hard to place a new one when your old ones have not been replaced?

A very obvious answer to this question is leaping out at me, demanding to be posted.

If you placed a cache in what turned out to be a bad location, and, as a result, it promptly went missing, then to replace it would only be to repeat the mistake that led to its demise before, and would surely lead once again to the same result.

Rather than wasting time and materials to repair or replace a bad cache, wouldn't it be better to simply realize that that cache was a bad idea, learn from the mistake, and put your efforts and materials into a new cache, elsewhere, where you will hopefully avoid repeating the mistakes you made in the earlier cache?

<_<  anybody else experiencing overzealous cache disapprovers?

it almost seems like you need a permit to hide a cache down here. i tried to do a bunch of micros down here in south beach in miami. to those uninitiated, on south beach you walk most places. when your lucky enough to find a spot you grab it and the car stays put. you walk everywhere. my caches were "too close and should be a multi". aprox 3 blocks between caches on foot is too close?? one cache gets plundered and whole multi becomes worthless.

i wanted to do a really cool treasure hunt type cache. it would be buried on a desolate beach. disapproved.. its buried. well it didnt require tools, just kicking sand with your feet. disapproved, need permission. from who? the public beach god?

close buddy and fellow cacher places cache in tree in residential area but on easement (not private property). disapproved.. cache approver "thinks" its in someones yard so he archives it.

geez, what the hey? talk about a killjoy.

am i the only one experiencing these blues?

:)

You're kidding right. Not even Duane would complain about that! (no offense Duane)

Edited by JMBella

I have the exact opposite problem here. An avid Geocacher that has many difficult caches of their own planted and approved.......

This person seem to be active in hunting and in placing their own caches BUT THEN never seems to perform maintenance even though there are many logs showing that the cahce is wet or damaged over many months.

Maybe the Approvers should look at ones past caches and the reports on them before granting new approvals.

Oh, yeah, Urbo. I have a bone to pick with you. You made me waste an hour and a half of my life today, looking for that missing (and now archived) Vente Dos microcache you and your friend logged in with smiley faces, even though you didn't find it. Not only do you want to bury your caches less than a mile apart, but you also log DNF's as F and expect other people to take the time to go into your log and read that helpful "BTW, cache is missing!" Thanks a gazillion for pushing the rules of the game like you do--really appreciate it.

Here's the link, for those of you who want to take a look:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-8730e5a3579e

Edited by prettynwitty

Give the Approvers and your fellow cachers a break. Looks like you had some neat ideas but they don't fit the "rules" that are in place to keep geo-caching relatively safe, legit and legal. I've seen lots of great cache placements in my weekly job driving a truck all over Indiana but I know I wouldn't appreciate someone placing a cache uninvited on MY land.

prettynwitty Posted on Jun 8 2004, 09:14 PM

Oh, yeah, Urbo. I have a bone to pick with you. You made me waste an hour and a half of my life today, looking for that missing (and now archived) Vente Dos microcache you and your friend logged in with smiley faces, even though you didn't find it. Not only do you want to bury your caches less than a mile apart, but you also log DNF's as F and expect other people to take the time to go into your log and read that helpful "BTW, cache is missing!" Thanks a gazillion for pushing the rules of the game like you do--really appreciate it.

Here's the link, for those of you who want to take a look:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-8730e5a3579e

OK....now I am mad.

If prettynwitty is right......and it appears so.......than Urbo has NO RIGHT complaining here on these forums.

One DOES NOT file a F if in fact it was a DNF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prettynwitty Posted on Jun 8 2004, 09:14 PM

Yeh that is pretty lame.

If you actual hold the cache in your hot little hands and sign the logbook, then it is a legit find.

Finding a piece of velcro where you THOUGHT the cache should be is not a find in my book.

And to make this 'on topic': Co Admin rocks! He has approved all of my caches and always within 24 hours. There was a question about one which we resolved through email and he approved the cache quickly.

If you play by the rules, it makes it a lot easier. :lol:

Urbo doesn't seem like a bad guy. In the past month he has been pretty active locally (yes I'm a Miami cacher myself) and has hit most of our (GeoBear18 and myself) caches. I would describe him as overly enthusiastic. When two of our microswent missing, he and his crew logged them as findsbecause they found their probable hiding places. When visiting a recently place multi-cache, they took the final cache container home with them because they lost/forgot the suggested tools for opening it.

Conclusion? IMHO Urbo needs to need to take a deep breath and relax. Geocaching as a sport is open to anyone and can be played by any rules. Geocaching as its managed through GeoCaching.com is still open to anyone, but in an attempt to keep the sport clean, and going as long as possible (because I agree that our days of free form play our limited) you need to play by the rules of the site. Rules that are there to keep things fun. Keep things legal. Keep the general public from seeing us as sneaks, litter bugs, and terrorists in training. And if Urbo has a problem with that, there are other GeoCaching sites where he can post his brilliant hides.

Between GeoBear18 and myself, we have 29 caches in the wild with only one denial. A 29 to 1 ratio because we stick to the sprit of the rules rather then arguing the details.

GeoCaching.com is a privately owned bossiness. A business where its proprietor (the fine Mr. Jeremy) generously grants us the use of its resources for free. Personally, I have no problem putting minor limits on my actions and imagination in exchange for the genuine hoot of having access to such a wide variety of caches, and to have our 29 available to such a wide audience.

To both Jeremy and Crow Robot... Keep up the good work.

I placed a cache yesterday and submitted it for approval here at Geocaching.com. Had 5 pictures to upload to the cache page and before i could get through, the cache was approved. About 15 minutes, hows that for good service! Thanks 9Key!!! :lol:

I typically have similar experiences. Not alway that quickly but the communication is always great in all cases. As a matter of fact I recently had a cache NOT approved, however after just one polite email to my approver explaining the situation, my cache was approved within hours. It's amazing how well things work out when you follow the guidelines.

I think certain PTB are just exercising their putative powers as a substitute for not knowing any women. My experience with the PTB was through a sudden "archiving" of a virtual cache that had been pre-approved and running successfully for nearly a year. Out of the blue it was archived. I was not notified in advance. I was asked about alternatives. It was just shut down. That attitude stinks to high heaven.

That experience soured me with dealing with the PTB. May those with SD rot in hell. I am in fact that angry!

I think certain PTB are just exercising their putative powers as a substitute for not knowing any women.  My experience with the PTB was through a sudden "archiving" of a virtual cache that had been pre-approved and running successfully for nearly a year.  Out of the blue it was archived.  I was not notified in advance.  I was asked about alternatives.  It was just shut down.  That attitude stinks to high heaven. 

That experience soured me with dealing with the PTB.  May those with SD rot in hell.  I am in fact that angry!

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :lol:

Edit: I looked up your aforementioned virtual. I would have to agree that any cache whose coordinates took you to the middle of the runway is in violation of the published GC.com guidelines--regardless of whther that was where the cache is or not. And while I don't always agree with the decisions of TPTB, mtn-man's archive note on the page suggests that there was room for negotiation and did not seem out of line to me.

Edited by Team PerkyPerks
I think certain PTB are just exercising their putative powers as a substitute for not knowing any women.  My experience with the PTB was through a sudden "archiving" of a virtual cache that had been pre-approved and running successfully for nearly a year.  Out of the blue it was archived.  I was not notified in advance.  I was asked about alternatives.  It was just shut down.  That attitude stinks to high heaven. 

That experience soured me with dealing with the PTB.  May those with SD rot in hell.  I am in fact that angry!

For the record, you deleted a "Should Be Archived" note from the cache page. My note was very simple and invited a dialog:

Cache owner, contact me.

I agree that this cache needs work.

For now, I am going to archive this cache.

Your emails have been as eloquent as the post above.

I'm sure it will make you happy to know that my "woman" (better known as my wife) was involved in a car wreck yesterday. I'm sure someone of your character is happy about that. I thank God for the invention of the airbag right now myself or I don't know if she would still be here. She is banged up and has a broken knee, not that you care.

:lol::lol:;):lol::sad:

One thing that should happen with a cache that is archvied by the admins is that the reason why should be clearly stated. Both for the benifit of the owner and the benifit of those of us who look at the cache after.

Ine the case of this cache after so many successful finds the issue doesn't seem to be something that stopped valid finds. If the coords in the runway are the issue it should be in the archive log. There are enough finds on this cache to where while that looks like the issue it may not have been.

Edit: After reading that an archive note was deleted (I swear there is always more to the story...) I'm thinking that Admin archive notes should be something that cache owners can't delete (but admins can).

Edited by Renegade Knight
I'm sure it will make you happy to know that my "woman" (better known as my wife) was involved in a car wreck yesterday. I'm sure someone of your character is happy about that. I thank God for the invention of the airbag right now myself or I don't know if she would still be here. She is banged up and has a broken knee, not that you care.

Dang that sucks :lol: I hope she has a quick recovery and thank goodness for airbags!

One thing that should happen with a cache that is archvied by the admins is that the reason why should be clearly stated. Both for the benifit of the owner and the benifit of those of us who look at the cache after.

Ine the case of this cache after so many successful finds the issue doesn't seem to be something that stopped valid finds. If the coords in the runway are the issue it should be in the archive log. There are enough finds on this cache to where while that looks like the issue it may not have been.

Yep, when the "Should be archived" note is deleted by the cache owner, it's pretty difficult to appreciate the full context of the action taken.

For the record, you deleted a "Should Be Archived" note from the cache page. My note was very simple and invited a dialog:

Cache owner, contact me.

I agree that this cache needs work.

For now, I am going to archive this cache.

Your emails have been as eloquent as the post above.

:lol::lol:;):lol::sad:

I'm glad she is ok, so to speak. Give her my best wishes. She is a very nice person.

Now..back on topic. This for you people who think you are being mistreated here. Get a life! The approvers have a tough job and you are only making it worse.

There is a silver lining in every clould...you can thank who ever you believe in that I'm not a approver or a mod. This thread would have lasted about 15 seconds if I were.

You whinning cry babies that want to rule the world...but don't have a clue as to go about it, irk the hell out of me. (my warn metor should be going up about now) If you don't like how we play the game...go somewhere else.

For those that I've ticked off and your too stupid to send me a PM you can email me at JC364@aol.com. and if you keep this up, I'm going to tell you how I really feel.

El Diablo

The "Should Be Archived" note I mentioned that the cache owner deleted clearly explained the issue with the cache, hence the reason I wrote "I agree that this cache needs work." The cache owner knows exactly what the problem is.

...The "Should Be Archived" note I mentioned that the cache owner deleted clearly explained the issue with the cache, hence the reason I wrote "I agree that this cache needs work." The cache owner knows exactly what the problem is.

See my edited post above. Everyone was pretty quick on the draw here.

Edit: After reading that an archive note was deleted (I swear there is always more to the story...) I'm thinking that Admin archive notes should be something that cache owners can't delete (but admins can).

Let me just say that the Florida approver (Crow T. Robot) has been more than fair on approvals with me. On one cache, I hid it too close to RR tracks - he was polite, and explained the rules and the reasons for those rules. Of course, I fixed that up.

On another cache, I placed it within a park that required park management approval (which I subsequently received). He politely asked me whether I received the appropriate permission.

In all, he's been fantastic. And when I screwup, he's been more than fair.

Additionally, if there are extenuating circumstances, he's more than willing to listen. For example, one of our local cachers hid a cache that was only 180' from one of mine. But, the Little Econ River was between the two caches. He initially balked at the close proximity, but when presented with additional information, he considered it, and made the right decision.

In all, I find our approver to be level-headed and not at all capricious.

That's my $0.02.